possibility uses

ajbesh

I have been studying in the field of astronomy. Of course I come across many questions that I may never find the answers to. But one question came to me today after watching a document on black holes. The question is this " is it possible to weaponize or use a quasar?" This assuming we master the control of a black hole . The question seems crazy but somewhat realistic to me and I would like to see what anyone eles thinks.

Edited by ajbesh

A quasar is the center of a galaxy. I suspect it's going to be a very, very long time, like millions of years, until the human race disposes of enough power to use the center of a galaxy as a weapon, not to mention it would take a hundred thousand years to fire one shot.

And that's assuming we survive both global warming, and whatever kills off the smart species so we don't see any.

Edited by Schneibster

A quasar is the center of a galaxy. I suspect it's going to be a very, very long time, like millions of years, until the human race disposes of enough power to use the center of a galaxy as a weapon, not to mention it would take a hundred thousand years to fire one shot.

And that's assuming we survive both global warming, and whatever kills off the smart species so we don't see any.

Right. I had scenario in which a crew created a black hole around the size of lets say a baseball. Then according to my understanding of a quasar, feed this baseball sized black hole with enough gas and dust to the point of a quasar. With this energy channel it to a point and be able to aim and fire the energy. I assume if is a majority of fire which is plasma. So it would sort of be like an over powered plasma cannon.

Again it is an outrageous thought that of course wouldn't happen for a long long time. And assuming we survive any apocalyptic situations.

You guys do realise that the emitted power of a quasar while extremely large, is dwarfed in comparison to the power of the black hole which generates the jets.

It would be like using a nuclear weapon to fire a bullet.

Is there any sense in weaponising the bullet ????

You guys do realise that the emitted power of a quasar while extremely large, is dwarfed in comparison to the power of the black hole which generates the jets.

It would be like using a nuclear weapon to fire a bullet.

Is there any sense in weaponising the bullet ????

True. But you can only control so much black hole. And yes the power of a black hole is unfathomable but, if everything is supposed to be sucked in and not escape, a quasar must be ( momentarily) more powerful than the black hole.