Does evolution say we become our parents?

I was watching the Breakfast Club the other day, and the line where the character Allison says, "...we become our parents, it's inevitable" really stuck with me. Since then I've begun to notice that I share some of the same mannerisms as my father, the same problem-solving strategies, etc..., but am I (and the rest of us) merely playing by the laws of evolution in that I must "act" or "behave" like my previous ancestors to survive?

I'm aware that different times and environments produce various evolutionary pressures in different generations which in turn yield different adaptations..but are is there a fundamental "psyche"..or "state of mind" that each generation has embraced to compete against other competitors? (i.e. progeny that display a fierce competitiveness and hostility toward other individuals in the workplace, social events, etc. in order to stay dominant?)

Evolution acts on what is heritable. Certainly it acts on genes and arguably it acts on cultural transmission as well (although this is more controversial). Much of our behavior is genetic. It has often been observed that in adult hood, many traits tend to be more heritable, suggesting that environmental influences have a decreasing impact.

I guess we're all what we are due to previous evolution. But if you feel you're like your parents rather than other people I think it's more of a genetics and behavioural question than evolution. You got all your genes from them and they brought you up so there will be a lot of similarities. Surely evolution is a broader thing and makes us all roughly alike whereas being like our parents is due to things on a much shorter time scale. Genetics makes us the same, evolution changes us.

Long time since I've seen that film!

We learn how to behave by observation how other people are behaving.

So the largest influence on us, especially at early age, will have those people we spend the most of time with them, or those that we admire.

If your father is training karate, playing ping-pong, jogging there is high chance that we also will do it.

If your father is working hard, barely visible at home, we also will be working hard and barely see children.

If your father is jobless, watching tv whole day, there is high chance that we also end up as he.

Realizing that we're repeating pattern is the first step to breaking endless loop.