Dreams causing real injuries?

BlueSpike

36 minutes ago, Sarajeansgrbby said:

I found this topic because this just happened to me last night.

I had nightmares all night last night, one of the most vivid being that i was on fire.

I woke up today and didnt notice anything until i was getting out of the shower, i had burns all over my back in multiple areas. Places i couldnt even reach. They were not there yesterday. I wore a shirt showing my shoulders and upper back yesterday and they were not there. And as for the 'friction' comment, bullshit. I slept on top of my covers and was naked when i was sleeping i always sleep naked. 

I got scared and google searched to try and find some answers, this place is the best I got.

For now, im being prayed over and getting my room blessed and I'll let you knkw how it turns out.

What do you mean by a burn?

Your brain can sense the outside world while you're asleep. Pain is closely associated with the sensation of heat.

55 minutes ago, Sarajeansgrbby said:

I found this topic because this just happened to me last night.

I had nightmares all night last night, one of the most vivid being that i was on fire.

I woke up today and didnt notice anything until i was getting out of the shower, i had burns all over my back in multiple areas. Places i couldnt even reach. They were not there yesterday. I wore a shirt showing my shoulders and upper back yesterday and they were not there. And as for the 'friction' comment, bullshit. I slept on top of my covers and was naked when i was sleeping i always sleep naked. 

I got scared and google searched to try and find some answers, this place is the best I got.

For now, im being prayed over and getting my room blessed and I'll let you knkw how it turns out.

"Friction" you dismiss as bullshit, but having your room blessed seems reasonable to you. Oh Lordy!

5 hours ago, Sarajeansgrbby said:

I woke up today and didnt notice anything until i was getting out of the shower, i had burns all over my back in multiple areas. Places i couldnt even reach. They were not there yesterday. I wore a shirt showing my shoulders and upper back yesterday and they were not there. 

Obviously you ruled out sun burn. . . What about chemical irritation or an allergy? Obviously if is hard to say what caused it, but there are many things that can cause skin irritation.  Without knowing your movements the day before it is impossible to say. 

1 hour ago, DrP said:

Obviously you ruled out sun burn. . . What about chemical irritation or an allergy? Obviously if is hard to say what caused it, but there are many things that can cause skin irritation.  Without knowing your movements the day before it is impossible to say. 

And it's likely that also influenced the dream.

• 4 months later...

So, when I was around 8-9 years old my older brother tortured me by forcing me to watch scary movies. I still vividly remember the dream I had almost 20 years later. After I awoke from the dream I had 3 deep knife marks on my arm with no explanation of how they got there. I had short nails which I tried scratching myself afterwards to make sure I couldn't have done it to myself, which I couldn't. How is this possible?

34 minutes ago, Wheniwasakid said:

So, when I was around 8-9 years old my older brother tortured me by forcing me to watch scary movies. I still vividly remember the dream I had almost 20 years later. After I awoke from the dream I had 3 deep knife marks on my arm with no explanation of how they got there. I had short nails which I tried scratching myself afterwards to make sure I couldn't have done it to myself, which I couldn't. How is this possible?

What makes you think they were knife marks? Were you bleeding? I've woken with red lines on me before, usually my face, I've always thought it was just the way I slept.

Unless it was Freddie Kruger...:unsure:

Edited by Curious layman

Didn't want to go into much detail of the dream but yes it was freddy Krueger. The wounds were consistent with something very sharp, in order for me to bleed and leave a scar for a few years. Sleepwalking is a possibility I suppose, but very unlikely.

Edited by Wheniwasakid

3 minutes ago, Wheniwasakid said:

Sleepwalking is a possibility I suppose, but very unlikely.

But you think getting sliced in real life by a fictional character who exists only in movies and your dreams is more likely?

6 minutes ago, Wheniwasakid said:

I dont have an explanation. That's why I'm here. I know the brain is more powerful than we know and could've manifested the injuries but it was real. That's all I know

I'm guessing your mean older brother did it.

1 hour ago, Wheniwasakid said:

The wounds were consistent with something very sharp, in order for me to bleed and leave a scar for a few years.

not exactly a war wound?

32 minutes ago, Wheniwasakid said:

I know the brain is more powerful than we know and could've manifested the injuries

no, we don't.

19 minutes ago, Wheniwasakid said:

Which is?

you dreamed it... ;)

3 hours ago, Wheniwasakid said:

Too coincidental but I suppose its possible

What does this mean? Your brother, who was there, who you said liked to torture you, could possibly be the one to cut you, but it's "too coincidental"? It sounds like he had the means, the motive, and the opportunity, and if he did it he had a reason, so it wasn't random chance. What is "too coincidental" about your brother torturing you physically as well as mentally?

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

you dreamed it... ;)

And wounds manifested themselves on his arm because of it?! How do you imagine THAT happened? 

17 hours ago, Wheniwasakid said:

So, when I was around 8-9 years old my older brother tortured me by forcing me to watch scary movies. I still vividly remember the dream I had almost 20 years later. After I awoke from the dream I had 3 deep knife marks on my  with no explanation of how they got there. I had short nails which I tried scratching myself afterwards to make sure I couldn't have done it to myself, which I couldn't. How is this possible?

This might be possible, if I may offer an opinion, for any number of reasons not apparent form the perspective of an 8-9 year old 20 years in retrospect.  It's possible that your vivid recollection of what occurred 20 years ago isn't quite what happen.  Time alters our memories and can create false ones that merges imagined experiences with those that are real.  If your experience was real and you actually sustained "3 deep knife marks", scars of that experience would likely be visible somewhere on your body today, 20 years later, if they were truly as "deep" as you say.  However, you've made no mention of such scars, which could suggest that the sleep injury you sustained was likely not as severe as you might have then perceived 20 years ago, which was likely precipitated and enhanced by the persisting fear an 8-9 year old could have experienced after a night of watching "scary movies".   20 years hence, your memory of the experience was embellished by time.  Although, there's strong scientific evidence for the psychosomatic connection between mind and body, which can produce real physical injury, I do not believe this was likely your experience as a 9 year old child particularly without evidence of lingering scarification. I hope this helps.

Edited by DrmDoc
spelling

9 hours ago, Wheniwasakid said:

Didn't want to go into much detail of the dream but yes it was freddy Krueger. The wounds were consistent with something very sharp, in order for me to bleed and leave a scar for a few years. Sleepwalking is a possibility I suppose, but very unlikely.

Typically see the dreams reflect external reality rather than the other way around. You may have cut yourself against something and your brain interpreted the very real pain as in attack in your dream.

Should note that there are some oddball Dermatological disorders out there as well.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, DrmDoc said:

This might be possible, if I may offer an opinion, for any number of reasons not apparent form the perspective of an 8-9 year old 20 years in retrospect.  It's possible that your vivid recollection of what occurred 20 years ago isn't quite what happen.  Time alters our memories and can create false ones that merges imagined experiences with those that are real.  If your experience was real and you actually sustained "3 deep knife marks", scars of that experience would likely be visible somewhere on your body today, 20 years later, if they were truly as "deep" as you say.  However, you've made no mention of such scars, which could suggest that the sleep injury you sustained was likely not as severe as you might have then perceived 20 years ago, which was likely precipitated and enhanced by the persisting fear an 8-9 year old could have experienced after a night of watching "scary movies".   20 years hence, your memory of the experience was embellished by time.  Although, there's strong scientific evidence for the psychosomatic connection between mind and body, which can produce real physical injury, I do not believe this was likely your experience as a 9 year old child particularly without evidence of lingering scarification. I hope this helps.

Well it may not sound reasonable but my recollection is very clear. Also, I didn't mention that the scars lasted a few years and I also didnt mention how deep the wounds were. They were slightly more than superficial but deep enough to leave scar tissue for 2-3years. 

On 11/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, Phi for All said:

What does this mean? Your brother, who was there, who you said liked to torture you, could possibly be the one to cut you, but it's "too coincidental"? It sounds like he had the means, the motive, and the opportunity, and if he did it he had a reason, so it wasn't random chance. What is "too coincidental" about your brother torturing you physically as well as mentally?

And wounds manifested themselves on his arm because of it?! How do you imagine THAT happened? 

I believe it's too coincidental that my brother attacked me on the night of my nightmare. Also, he was a bit deranged, but not psychotic. He definitely didnt do it. 

1 hour ago, Wheniwasakid said:

Well it may not sound reasonable but my recollection is very clear. Also, I didn't mention that the scars lasted a few years and I also didnt mention how deep the wounds were. They were slightly more than superficial but deep enough to leave scar tissue for 2-3years. 

I believe it's too coincidental that my brother attacked me on the night of my nightmare. Also, he was a bit deranged, but not psychotic. He definitely didnt do it. 

I see...now you recall scars?  Did you also awake in a fright and do you recall your parents reaction to your injury?  After nearly four decades of private study in pursuit of understanding the nature of mind, consciousness, and dreaming, I can confidently say that the injury you described was likely caused by some influence within your sleep environment rather than your dream.  Dreaming is how our sleeping brain synthesize or interpret sensory stimuli it perceives during the periods of arousal caused by its metabolic needs amid sleep.  Our brain is the largest consumer, about 20%, of our body's overall energy uptake.  Its persistent metabolic needs in sleep causes arousal, which is why dreaming is a kind of consciousness or wakefulness amid the sleep process.  Our sensory experiences during sleep can precipitate a cascade of neural activity leading to imagery very much like familiar fragrances that vividly invoke a cascade of mental imagery or long forgotten memories.  Cut marks on your body with the precision of a knife was likely produced by something or someone in your sleep environment, which your sleep brain then interpreted as relative to your recent scary movie experience--IMO.

Edited by DrmDoc

20 minutes ago, DrmDoc said:

I see...now you recall scars?  Did you also awake in a fright and do you recall your parents reaction to your injury?  After nearly four decades of private study in pursuit of understanding the nature of mind, consciousness, and dreaming, I can confidently say that the injury you described was likely caused by some influence within your sleep environment rather than your dream.  Dreaming is how our sleeping brain synthesize or interpret sensory stimuli it perceives during the periods of arousal caused by its metabolic needs amid sleep.  Our brain is the largest consumer, about 20%, of our body's overall energy uptake.  Its persistent metabolic needs in sleep causes arousal, which is why dreaming is a kind of consciousness or wakefulness amid the sleep process.  Our sensory experiences during sleep can precipitate a cascade of neural activity leading to imagery very much like familiar fragrances that vividly invoke a cascade of mental imagery or long forgotten memories.  Cut marks on your body with the precision of a knife was likely produced by something or someone in your sleep environment, which your sleep brain then interpreted as relative to your recent scary movie experience--IMO.

Now I recall? I recall mentioning that I said in the first place. But ok. And yes my parents were made aware