ART in SCIENCE

Mike Smith Cosmos

ajb, how did you make these images?

You wrote some code to generate them?

In which language?

ps. Maybe make contest "who will make nicer fractal".. ? :)

One general C/C++ project with code generating black image.

And then everybody download it, and replace internal function, responsible for setting pixel at x,y with color RGB.

ajb, how did you make these images?

You wrote some code to generate them?

In which language?

I used Mathematica, there is an old version running on the machines the library at work. It is the only language I am familiar with. But the basic algorithm would be easiy enough to write in other languages such as C++.

Is that computer generated by a math orientated route ? Or by an optical route , like a prism ?

I spotted that spectrum on my wall and took a photo! I am not 100% sure what made it: it us above a radiator but below a window shelf. I think my TV was acting like a prism.

I spotted that spectrum on my wall and took a photo! I am not 100% sure what made it: it us above a radiator but below a window shelf. I think my TV was acting like a prism.

I thought it was something like that . I get them appearing from time to time on my upstairs study wall . I track them down by getting my eye , starting up close to the wall ( or wherever it is showing ) and following my head down the light beam ( not easy ) . It ' homes in ' on the Source. Quite fun !

By the extremely slightest of head movement , one can traverse the spectrum ' ROYGBIV' . Red, orange, yellow , green, blue, indigo, Violet . I imagine Isaac Newton had a similar experience during his ' musings' about light!

If you can capture that in your software. ' Bingo ' , we will be in for an amazing Light Show !

post-33514-0-64500200-1464504463_thumb.jpeg

Mike

Ps . if I use this technique in my ' ripples' experiments . I get dangerous ,' near misses 'and wet feet !

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday , I chose to ' Create ' a painting of the restless sea.

I use this word ' create' as an example of how artists can dabble in the issue of creation.

I chose previouse references to the restless sea and added my own distinctive feelings of water, sea , and sailing. As mere mortals ' we can create' of sorts !

.post-33514-0-93167000-1465457387_thumb.jpeg

Mike

• 6 months later...

As a contribution to the museum of optimism * I have produced ( still working on ) a picture of the optimism of the early fathers who sailed around the waters of the Americas.

:

-post-33514-0-00893500-1483526514_thumb.jpeg .

Mike

* a museum of optimism has a positive forward looking , hope , of better things , conditions .

... As opposed to ...

* A museum of things that have past has more the feeling of ' now gone' , out of reach , many mistakes made in bad times. , yes ! achievements accomplished , but many of these are fading into the past.

• 2 months later...

Perspective ,

Has both artistic , scientific-mathmatical , and poetic /philosophical aspects.

Which make our capacity to see and interpret almost vital for existence .

This painting I am in the process of finishing , illustrates this.

It is an imaginative ,collage, abstract of the area around Constantinople , where Europe can be crossed into Asia over the bridge.

Perspective can be seen having some perculiar effects from the people in the foreground either looking across the water ( having deminishing size as the eye ventures to the horizon across the water , decreasing in size to a ' vanishing point '

Yet below them , on the waterside , moored , is a steamer , where the image invokes a ' false horizon ' with its own ' vanishing point ' , somewhere inside the exit from the steamer, at the top of the exit ' gang plank' . Here the size of the people is again reducing in size to near nothingness as the eye ' looks down ' to the near yet distant exiting passengers .

Interesting how this mathmatical , scientific , yet artistic, ' aspect of perspective ' ,

makes our current ( ' experience' of existence) , possible ?. Even though , that itself is NOT how reality actually IS !

As , in reality everything , near and far , are their FULL. Actual size ! ?

post-33514-0-64941300-1488873276_thumb.jpeg

Mike

• 2 months later...

I have been trying for some months to see how I can capture an image of an express train going through woodland coverage .

We have a Penzance to London express thundering through the town where I live , quite regularly through each day .

Just what you see with your eyes is not what you can photograph.

I have cracked the phenomenon .

Following is my first attempt to put the results to Canvas , by way of a painting .

post-33514-0-85112100-1496352376_thumb.jpeg

Note the front of the train ( the express engine) speeds past , your eye has no choice but to follow the Engine . In so doing the accompanying trees ' fuzz' near and adjacent to the front engine cab . You have NO CHOICE . Your eye automatically focuses on the Engine . Your eye cannot focus on two things at once , so the near trees ' Fuzz' .

Very shortly the engine has gone out of sight into the dense trees.

Next your eyes are drawn to the series of 8 carriages passing a gap in the trees . The windows are indistinguishable as they flash by , flickering too often , to focus on , as such your eyes have to focus on something near by . So they focus on the trees , surrounding the gap, where the carriages are flicking by . Hense , on this short period the trees are in focus , the windows FUZZ. .

In summary :

A ) near the engine the eye focuses on the speeding engine and flick sideways rapidly to automatically maintain focus on the Engine . The surrounding trees GO FUZZY.

B) near the Windows the Windows GO FUZZY as they flick by . The surrounding trees , the eye brings into Focus ( not Fuzzy )

Took me three weeks and many , many observations to work it out . Fascinating .

Mike

I went to art school after I finished my science degree. A lot of engineers study art as well.

BOOTS ..- I'm interested in your transition or your combination of ( science and art ) .

I abandoned art in 6th form ( as then 1950/1960) you had to choose either science OR art ( not both ) .

I choose science , purely as I was mesmerised by Electronics . Boy has electronics changed since then .

. Now in retirement , I have revisited my second love ( observing , drawing and painting ) .

I combine the OBSERVATION of how things are made or work with how they LOOK. FASCINATING.

Having just observed the speeding of trains through trees , I am actually fathoming why trees LOOK , the way they do . Then attempting to paint them , in the light of this new found knowledge.

I am noticing the main branching structure of trees . Usually 6 to 10/12 .

Last picture below shows photo taken of branches , from within canopy , or inside the trees coverage .

On the far outside of the tree the leaves appear mounted on fronds of leaves ( sort of bunches) . These can often be viewed from outside , as distinct bunches . Under each bunch light is greatly impeded and the leaves merge into dark shadow . Before the presence of the next bunch . This often gives the tree this BUNCHES look .

See picture . Painting this is difficult to get right ! I am attempting to conquer this ' as we speak ' .

See here :- the photo and painting are not of the same view , but the photo shows the bunching plums of leaves .

The painting shows my attempt to show bunches with shadows BELOW each bunch . ( just a first attempt )

post-33514-0-02689800-1496919493_thumb.jpeg

post-33514-0-04670300-1496919463_thumb.jpeg.

post-33514-0-78024800-1496921312_thumb.jpeg.

• 5 weeks later...

I am trying to summon up an Image or Set of Images , that I can use as the basis of the following statement !

WHILE YOU ARE HERE , COULD YOU JUST .....or .... WHILE you have got your drill out ,could you just..

It is every mans ' night mare ' expression . It sends shudders of images of hours spent fixing something without the correct tools available , and / or , the absence of any materials or days necessary to carry the ' Just ' assignment out .

I want to compose and paint an Abstract Painting of this frightening scenario .

Any Ideas for the ingredients of my drawing / painting ?

Mike

Some scientists have an interest in ART and the use of ART in conveying scientific ideas that are otherwise difficult to express in other ways . This thread is started to act as a vehicle for such participation.

attachicon.gifDSCF4032.JPG

post-33514-0-87395100-1394834221_thumb.j

msg-33514-0-65040000-1395161834_thumb.jp

Comments by another Scientific Artist ( anonymous )

You are confusing art with artifice. The latter requires no skill to create, as shown by your examples above.

Definition of "art": " n. - something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings"

Definition of "artifice": ar·ti·fice - ˈärdəfəs - noun - clever or cunning devices or expedients, especially as used to trick or deceive others. outright fakery

synonyms - trickery, deceit, deception, duplicity, guile, chicanery

Definition of "art": " n. - something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

Definition of "artifice": ar·ti·fice - ˈärdəfəs - noun - clever or cunning devices or expedients, especially as used to trick or deceive others. outright fakery
synonyms - trickery, deceit, deception, duplicity, guile, chicanery

Magicians? Religion?

Edited by beecee

]

This photograph , taken a a moment ago , follows some of the Art rules as posited by artists of yesteryear.

But they are not without science .

Notice the horizon line on the golden section . . Also the vertical golden section crosses the horizon line just under the tree , which is the site of my current scientific observation . Namely that the passing trains (express. London to Plymouth ) pass at speed at this point and are just visible . This produces unexpected results as to our focal point and how our eyes at that , focal point .

Namely we appear to get two different styles of focus , depending whether we see the front of the train or the carriages .

post-33514-0-12077200-1499936252_thumb.jpeg

Now that is science in the making . ( with ART ) as per previous posts in this thread about passing trains

Namely post # 238 .

post-33514-0-25279200-1499938300_thumb.jpeg

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday and Today ( 30/07/2017) , I went out on an Artistic / philosophical excursion into the countryside , with the express endeavour to come up with an image to paint of

my ... THEORY OF EVERYTHING  . So so as to paint it as an image . What abstract image I could come up with that would illustrate this Theory of Everything , I knew not . 

I landed in Exeter yesterday down at the Keyside , Docks of private yachts , at a hostiliary of note . A newly produced cafe on the dock side . Settled back in the rain with a view of the Yachts in various states of disarray and with coffee in hand THOUGHT . The rain made me change my venue and join a tour up the canal to " double locks " my journey on the canal gave me a  pelethera  of applications of this 

" theory of everything " 

the following is a few pictures of illustration of 

" ANYTHING OR EVERYTHING CAN OCCUR PROVIDED THERE IS AN INITIATIVE FOR IT TO HAPPEN , AND A FREE 'ish passage , for it to occur . Provided there is an initiative for it to occur and a free passage for it to occur , with little or no resistance . "

The following is the schematic of the theory , followed  by yesterday's examples illustrating the application of this theory . 

image.jpeg.081404b8bc1cb8f711f649205fb0eb16.jpeg

Example from the journey on the canal . 

image.jpeg

Note the first image is the schematic of the principle of the " theory of everything " 

second is an example of this theory in action that many boat user take advantage of . Namely .

the owners , or users of the boats use this phenomenon on the " surface of the ocean " / canal .

As captain of the boat , they form an ' Initiative ' , namely to move up the canal to a new location at " Double Locks' . The boat requires an absolute minimum of energy , as there is no real impediment to their movement up the canal . As the water is ' dead flat ' , I mean absolutely flat . There is no requirement to overcome gravity , as the boat however heavy is NOT USING ENERGY  to go upwards . It does require a modest energy derived from a diesel motor to ' put, put ' with a minimal energy to overcome water resistance . This will be a minimum at a ' put, put ' speed . A common phenomenon , yet fulfilling this thread theory . 

" anything can happen , with an initiative , small energy , and nothing ' much ' to stop it happening . " 

mike 

Trevor ,

i appreciate your comment , as this is the real point I am making , or at least one of the things I am saying . That certainly for me , a picture or sketch , helps me understand the ' thing' under consideration . 

I literally see it , in my ' minds eye '

I am then able to develop understanding from the visible model . 

I do go on , if I find the subject personally interesting . I go on to paint it. 

This I intend for the subject of this thread.  As it as a philosophical idea , a very profound statement . 

Rather than ' forcing something to happen ' , I am suggesting :-

FINDING THE SPACE  for it TO HAPPEN IS PARAMOUNT ' 

then a further two things are necessary 

-------

Creating an Initiative ... Then a small amount of energy ...then the space with minimal resistance ...    

--------

Away you go . 

Now for me I need to get paper and paint , find the space which needs to be in the right location ,perhaps out in the country somewhere , or on a boat trip , or perhaps a cafe . ...... I have the initiative .........minimal energy and minimal pressure ( energy ) on the brush and palet knife .........

away I will go ...

mike 

On 3/31/2014 at 2:30 PM, Prometheus said:

There is an powerful depiction of dementia in a series of self-portraits drawn by an artist as their disease progresses. The pictures become more fragmented and show classic signs of neglect in one feild (forget if left or right). Wish i could find it online. Not sure it was is a journal or not - it was at a conference though. But whether or not in a journal is besides the point - it helps doctors/nurses understand what it is like for sufferers.Neither of these would make it scientific though.

If this thread wasn't still being used I wouldn't post this but I did a search and found the following - although I don't know if this is specifically the series of self-portraits you referred to above.

http://www.boredpanda.com/alzheimers-disease-self-portrait-paintings-william-utermohlen/