ART in SCIENCE

Mike Smith Cosmos

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, TRAJECTORY, SPEED , DESTINATION.

post-33514-0-35163900-1402676802_thumb.jpg

Heathrow Airport international, bus and plane Terminal.

Planes, buses, persons going in/with, :-

The same starting locations,

different directions,

different trajectories,

different speeds,

different destinations

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

An Abstract interpretation of the nature of Time

post-33514-0-70857200-1403093187_thumb.jpg
The nature of time .

As illustrated here :

Bottom:- ... With lined structure is the past .The present moves on to the past.
Middle :- .. Activity ,Around the center line, at the focus of the picture is Time Now , the very real aspect of time .
Top half :- Future time. Imagined, anticipated, predicted , but not yet real

Based on an interpretation of time by Prof Lee Smolin

Recent Book " Time Reborn - From the crisis of Physics to the Future of the Universe "

Mike

“All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom." -Albert Einstein

Continuing the theme of Art in Science

Who has seen the BodyWorlds exhibition?

Highly recommended, but is is Art or Science?

http://www.life.org.uk/whats-on/body-worlds

Yes I have seen it, I would say more Science than Art. A little scary and a little amazing, I recommend it.

You know what's just as scientific that the images are on a computer screen and have been sent around the planet to your computer. That the image doesn't lose resolution from being sent from one computer to other. That you are even able to see that image at all is amazing in itself.That people took the care to create algorithms that keep track of each and every pixel. Then there's the fact that somebody took the care to preserve those images all these years and take a photo of the image in a manner that didn't damage it. More to the point how does that camera work? is it a perticular type of camera and if so what type? How is that image stored on that camera?

Found this amazing ScienceArt Exhibition.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/symbiartic/2014/06/27/scienceart-exhibits-heat-up-this-summer/

Attached a few images from the link that features many "cool galleries exhibiting scienceart"[/size]

I like this image on the far right , of your strip of three? And some of the others in the exhibition. Shown below. Good find , much appreciated !

post-33514-0-05680900-1404195183.jpg link to artist site :- http://www.kalliopimonoyios.com

post-33514-0-17103500-1404195419.jpg post-33514-0-92600400-1404195742.jpg

Also below from your find :-

Chromosomes (blue) lined up for cell division

Jane Stout, Indiana University, 2012 GE Healthcare Cell Imaging Competition winner

This cell is preparing to divide. Two copies of each chromosome (blue) are lined up next to each other in the center of the cell. Next, protein strands (red) will pull apart these paired chromosomes and drag them to opposite sides of the cell. The cell will then split to form two daughter cells, each with a single, complete set of chromosomes.

post-33514-0-26000900-1404197381.jpg

Great stuff !

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Latest painting of a craft fo sail the high seas of human endevour so as to reach new avenues of physics interpretation of the cosmos . ( see speculations forum )

post-33514-0-30363700-1409563371_thumb.jpg

More substantial craft, than previously used to sail the high seas

Currently reading Amanda Gefter's ' Trespassing on Einstein's Lawn '

Mike

• 1 month later...

From MiGL

Very interested in the ancient geology, Mike.

But what I really want to know about are your paintings

It looks like watercolor ( or acrylic ) on the screen.

Is this a hobby, do you do it professionally, does it help clear your mind ?

I used to do watercolor ( my favourite medium ) myself until I ran out of time and gave it up.

I've been meaning to get back into it, but its like working out, I always say to myself "I'll re-start tomorrow".

I paint mainly in Acrylic .

I have developed this mainly in my retirement. Although I sketched in pencil up through my life ,

My development of painting in Acrylic , was my retirement project , along with doing personal research in Science . Hence my contributions on the science forum.

My profession through my working life has been in the Electronic industry as an Electrical/Electronic Engineer.

Would love to compare notes ,about Art . and Art in Science .

(should be clear to discuss about now )

Here is a painting in acrylic that I am currently working on , as an illustration of " moving forward in science from the mainland to new islands of science " subject in speculations .

Mike

post-33514-0-21683700-1412241032_thumb.jpg

Ps yes , it does clear my mind . In fact I find it very therapeutic . You go into some form of 'time warp ' while in the painting experience

I have had a tinker with paint net and you can come up with something in a few minutes and no mess.

I enjoy art but do not enjoy cleaning up afterwards, do you ever use any software tools for art?

Heres a couple I prepared earlier :)

DOT

post-79233-0-82241100-1412273371_thumb.png

FIRE AND WATER

post-79233-0-94111600-1412273425_thumb.png

Easy for people like me with limited skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Use of explanatory Diagrams is a useful ART tool in communicating difficult scientific concepts :

it is still important to use COMPOSITION in presenting these diagrams . See following example :-

post-33514-0-05310100-1413210897_thumb.jpg

This is an illustration of the mechanism of observing REALITY

One is led into the picture , by the front door at the bottom of the page ( the short dumpy pencil . Not detracting from the main pencil, and goings on, but by way of front door ,introduction .

The line between the two pencil ends leads ( by composition) to the main focus of the picture , the main upright pencil. POINT( note this main focus is roughly at the 'golden section ' [ 3/8 in from right hand edge , 3/8 up from bottom edge ]

The eye is led up the pencil and around the rotational circle at the top. ( here rotational symmetry is invariant , and reality is seen . ( outside the universe)

The heavy ness of the main pencil is balanced against the " Gods eye view " outside the universe portrayed by the large Diamond at the top.

Descending down through the top of the pencil ( where symmetry starts to break ) as the pencil falls to one of the many frames of reference seen in the circle surrounding the base of the pencil.

Here via the difference reference frames , such as magnetic field , electric field , gravitational field , colour forces , etc rotational symmetry is variant . Thus reality is not seen through these reference frames.

Rather Gauge forces are experienced between the different frames of reference .certainly the main forces of electro-weak , gravitation, strong nuclear. Each having its own distorted ,variant view of reality.

One could exit the illustration by the bottom right hand ,frame of reference .

Or return to the topmost central position , for an outside the universe view of a total view of invariant Reality .

Mike

Ps here the different compositional tools are used to help the person viewing the picture to get a good understanding , by correct entrance , positioning , circular tour around the picture , exit or revisit .

I've always been very sceptical about Art. It seems too subjective to offer any real insights into Science, which is concerned with the nature of objective REALITY.

However, your dramatic, and impressive, composition/ diagram/illustration, in #141, has caused me to reconsider my position.

I think your composition could be interpreted scientifically like this:

1. The short dumpy pencil, at the bottom left, represents the human male organ. It's shown as short, and obviously un-aroused.

2. However, from the tip of the organ, we see a pencil-line, extending upwards at an angle, and gradually thickening as it goes towards the centre of the picture. This represents growing arousal.

3. And when it reaches the the centre, we observe an enlarged, upstanding, quasi-cylindrical object. This is instantly recognisable as an erect phallus. Any student of Freud would clock that instanter.

4. The phallus is shown as inserted into, and penetrating, a curved, oval object. Surely that must depict the vulva and womb. So we see sexual intercourse in action.

5. To clinch the matter - let's note that at the top, or " climax" of the picture - there's a kind of "sunburst". Doesn't that look, indisputably, like a symbol of orgasm?

Thus, the composition brilliantly portrays a fundamental principle of the Universe - that all things have an origin. In the case of humans, the origin is petty copulation. On a grander, Universal, scale, it's the prodigious orgasm of the (aptly-named) "Big Bang".

The picture contains many other interesting details, which could be profitably explored and interpreted.

Edited by Dekan

Although we can not ignore the scientific fact that reproduction is at the core of many of the processes that have resulted in a universe. The human experience has usually been undertaken in private .

A public mechanism of scientific design , was carried out locally in Devon and Cornwall which started off the industrial revolution .

The inventor was Thomas NEWCOMEN with the Newcomen Engine .
A diagram follows , shown outside the Museum at Dartmouth Devon England .
The diagram gives scientific explanation . Both the diagram and the actual engine could both be construed as works of art
.post-33514-0-58622600-1413315515_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-93057000-1413315571_thumb.jpg

The atmospheric engine invented by Thomas Newcomen in 1712, often referred to simply as a Newcomen engine, was the first practical device to harness the ...power of atmosphere expansion.

post-33514-0-26626300-1413316103.jpg

Technical drawing , engine as a machine, technical drawing
can all be seen in the context of Art in Science

Mike

Ps , A few years ago say 10 Years ago , a young 'descendant' of Thomas Newcomen wandered into our Cafe in Ashburton (mid Devon ) , saying he was looking for his 'Roots' . He had come across the Atlantic from Canada or the USA. . I sent him on his way a few miles deeper into Devon to find his Ancestors legacy. The Newcomen Engine . I think it was used in the Tin mines of Cornwall ( in the 1700's ) to pump water from the mines . So started the industrial revolution

• 2 weeks later...

There is an interesting conversion of energy here demonstrated.

Heat- sun , rising hot air , circular wind - weather patterns , sail capture, momentum conversion , velocity of movement, sailing through the centuries on the sea.

Oops can't seem to upload !

Mike

Uploaded.post-33514-0-25567100-1415435629_thumb.jpg post-33514-0-24358400-1415435993_thumb.jpg

There is an interesting conversion of energy here demonstrated.

Heat- sun , rising hot air , circular wind - weather patterns , sail capture, momentum conversion , velocity of movement, sailing through the centuries on the sea.

Mike

As always, your paintings are well worth looking at. They show valuable insights. The insights might be thought, by be some people, to be Freudian.

Like for example, in your sailing-boat pictures. A Freudian psychologist might interpret them like this:

1. The picture on the left, shows a boat thrusting ahead, under full sail. The sails are proudly erect. They're propelling a big hull. Which has an engorged prow. Like the head of an erect phallus.

From the prow, we see bright spray and spume emitted. Obviously, orgasm is occurring.

2. The picture on the right, shows the boat sadly going back. Its sails are no longer taut and erect. They're leaning over, or drooping. The sea has become darker.

Such darkness represents the post-coital depression. And note this - the boat has a white coating, at hull level. Which may portray the seminal fluid?

I know that my interpretation of the picture, might not be what you had in mind.

But good art, such as you produce, gives rise to many interpretations. That's why it's interesting.

Edited by Dekan

As the staff seems content to consider Dekan's post suitable I'll take up the theme in Mike's context. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then Dekan's 175 words are indicative of a small, flaccid, and unsatisfyingly incomplete scientific intercourse on the bone of contention.

A line by Mr. Emerson seems fitting to the topic: A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

As the staff seems content to consider Dekan's post suitable

!

Moderator Note

We don't judge suitability. We enforce the rules, and we don't have one for boorishness.

That's what the reputation system is for. It helps determine value in posts like the one you mention.

Isaac Newton showed how a painters Palate could be produced from light through a prism.

Monet used this spectrum of color in his paintings.

See the following :-

COLOR THEORY IN ART

colour_experiment.gif

SIR ISAAC NEWTON (1643-1727)
The refraction of light through a glass prism.

This simple experiment demonstrates that color comes from light - in fact, that color is light. Scientists investigate the properties of color theory whereas artists explore its visual effects.

IMPRESSIONISM AND LIGHT

monet.jpg

CLAUDE MONET (1840-1926)
'Rouen Cathedral in Full Sunlight', 1893 (oil on canvas)

As the Impressionists had to work quickly to capture the fleeting effects of light, they had to sacrifice some of the traditional qualities of outline and detail. Nevertheless, the freshness of the Impressionist technique instinctively appeals to most people, and most painting since has been profoundly affected by it.

Claude Monet, the greatest exponent of the Impressionist style, created several series of paintings exploring the effects of light. The illustration above is from a series of around twenty paintings of Rouen Cathedral (1892-94) which show the building at different times of day, at different times of year and under different weather conditions.

Courtesy of http://www.artyfactory.com/

Mike