What is your avatar?

Hellbender

The main charachter from halo (called the masterchief) because I like Halo a lot and someone suggested I did it... anyway, I needed a change from the old matrix pills avatar I had, which represented choice.

If ya got a better idea then I'm listening!

Mine is a partial view of a used 12 1/4" diameter PDC (Polycrystalline Diamond Compact) fixed cutter drill bit. This particular one drilled approximately 3,500' of Mezozoic sediments in the southern North Sea, on a gas field, suffering severe vibration during the run as evidenced by the impact damage to some of the cutters. Price as new, approximately $80,000. (Use once and discard.)

The company I work for manufactures these. On the rare occasions I post during working hours it reminds me what I should be doing. When I post in my own time it reminds me where the money for my leisure activities comes from.

Though I recently got rid of the mane - hair is now chin length.

Mine is a partial view of a used 12 1/4" diameter PDC (Polycrystalline Diamond Compact) fixed cutter drill bit. This particular one drilled approximately 3' date='500' of Mezozoic sediments in the southern North Sea, on a gas field, suffering severe vibration during the run as evidenced by the impact damage to some of the cutters. Price as new, approximately $80,000. (Use once and discard.)

The company I work for manufactures these. On the rare occasions I post during working hours it reminds me what I should be doing. When I post in my own time it reminds me where the money for my leisure activities comes from.[/quote']

I'm interested in how the cutter is made - what kind of steel holds the cutter bits - how are they held in place? I can't get a good close up view, are the cutting edges of the teeth staggered or all they all in line with one another?

If this is proprietary info, I understand, just curious about how the technology compares to my large shell mills. Mine use carbide bits that are replacable.

Wow, I'd been wondering for some time what on Earth that thing in Ophiolite's avatar is. :) Good to know.

And my avatar is of course, a picture of a nuclear blast (Trinity?). Can't beat the view of atoms splitting, or actually the aftermath of the splitting.

The individual cutters are made in a hydraulic press. Synthetic diamond grit is placed in a salt container [to ensure uniform pressure] with a tungsten carbide blank. This is heated to around 1400 deg C and a pressure of 1.5 million psi is applied. Under these conditions the individual grains link up (hence polycrystalline). Also cobalt migrates from the tungsten carbide into the diamond matrix, binding it to the TC blank. The process takes about ten minutes. At the end of it you have a cutter that is mainly TC, but with a very durable diamond table less than 1mm thick and between 8mm and 22mm in diameter.

I'm not a metallurgist (my expertise is on the application side, rather than the production), so I'm not certain of steel type. We also make bit bodies of what we call matrix (tungsten carbide and binder). In both cases the cutters are braised into the bit bodies.

The teeth are generally arranged in a spiral pattern, but there are a lot of variations. (We have over four thousand distinct designs, though some of them are one-offs.)

pm me if you want to know more.