SFN affiliation

In short, military personnel of any nation can join and participate this forum (mod local laws) and this in no way means that this forum is associated with such military.

The 'of any nation' part is often forgotten--especially by our American members. The two former military staff members I mentioned (myself and mooey) were military members of different countries.

With which military is SFN supposed to be affiliated?

Ajb says that we all represent ourselves, but I'm relatively certain that I've spoken with big politicians, ex military, possibly the NSA, some big intellectuals that teach at universities that are funded by the military, and the words OPSEC and DARPA have been floating around.

That's not only on this forum though. But since these people like to participate in these discussions, I consider it an affiliation.

Ajb says that we all represent ourselves, but I'm relatively certain that I've spoken with big politicians, ex military, possibly the NSA, some big intellectuals that teach at universities that are funded by the military, and the words OPSEC and DARPA have been floating around.

That's not only on this forum though. But since these people like to participate in these discussions, I consider it an affiliation.

That doesn't make the forum affiliated with the military any more than it's affiliated with CVS just because you work there and post here.

But the way you phrased this is weird. OPSEC stands for operational security, which is not a government program. DARPA funds research programs for the DoD. So what if they were "floating around" in discussions?

Well, I think that I've cultivated some good relationships here, and, as I have done before, I will provide my expertise when it is helpful. I will not release any proprietary information though if it's a frustration of purpose.

That doesn't answer the question.

Will it be a business partnership and, if so, how can we benefit from each other? I let you guys know that we could really use satellite footage to recover fugitives, and if we can get access to that then I don't see why we shouldn't be able to share our programs with you guys.

Satellite footage would be the holy grail for our underwriting and recovery process. It would significantly reduce our risk of catastrophic loss.

Edited by Popcorn Sutton

Will it be a business partnership and, if so, how can we benefit from each other? I let you guys know that we could really use satellite footage to recover fugitives, and if we can get access to that then I don't see why we shouldn't be able to share our programs with you guys.

Satellite footage would be the holy grail for our underwriting and recovery process. It would significantly reduce our risk of catastrophic loss.

WTH?

There are commercial services that you should look at instead.

Affiliation for sites is more like the relationship between SFN and RationalSkepticism.org. They both link to the other in a clear fashion on their homepages. There are more complex affiliations than that but the mutual link is what you'll most commonly see.

Edited by Endy0816

I guess the underlying question is what does it mean to be affiliated? To me it means some sort of formal partnership and/or sponsorship. What is it SFN would be getting from the military, if we are supposedly affiliated?

The 'of any nation' part is often forgotten--especially by our American members. The two former military staff members I mentioned (myself and mooey) were military members of different countries.

With which military is SFN supposed to be affiliated?

I am Commander in Chief of the Martian Imperial Atomic Space Navy...

What I mean by affiliation, or the way I normally think of it, it can be either covert or overt. In my dialect, it could be something that is assumed. I don't work with the military, and there may not be much that my agency would be interested in that comes from the military (SFN is probably not interested either), but if I could get free access to satellite footage, we would be so thankful that we are willing to provide you guys with our software, which is going to be phenomenal IMO.

What is it SFN would be getting from the military, if we are supposedly affiliated?

Massive, Armageddon-level clout.

"Excuse me? Relativity is wrong?! Look out your window. If relativity was wrong, how could that smart bomb know where you are?"

!

Moderator Note

Popcorn Sutton, you have failed to provide the required evidence for your hypothesis. If you do not comply with the rules, a Special Forces unit will be dispatched to secure your location and remove you to a suitable detention facility.

Personnel are standing by with live ammunition for responses to this modnote.

What I mean by affiliation, or the way I normally think of it, it can be either covert or overt.

Covert sounds an interesting prospect, but I don't see that anyone on this forum is some kind of security threat to the democratic nations of the world. It is not like we are a jihadist forum or similar... I wonder if a red light is flashing at the NSA headquarters as their website monitoring software has picked up the "j-word"?

That said, I was told to inform someone if one of my physics students asks too many questions about nuclear material and bombs, when we are not on the nuclear physics module!