Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Greatest I am

Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

The Gnostic wing of Christianity, if it can even be called that today, has quite a few differences to Christianity and Catholicism.

If the old Gnostic Christians were here, they would hardly recognize what has happened to the original Orthodox Catholic Church or it's various offshoots in Protestantism or Islam. The Gnostic Christian Jesus would have a fit and would be quite disappointed I think. I know that this Gnostic Christian is.

The two main differences that moved the old Christians to kill Gnostic Christians and burn their scriptures was literalism in reading scriptures and the fact that the Gnostic version of Jesus was a Universalist.

That Gnostic Christian Jesus, and the Gnostic Christians of that flavor, (there are likely as many Gnostic sects as Christian sects), sees a spark of God in all people including women and gays. That fact, to me, makes Gnostic Christianity a more desirable denomination of Christianity than all the rest.

If a religion cannot abide with equality of the sexes then to my mind it is not a just religion and is not worthy of the support of moral people. Inequality is an immoral position and most of the Abrahamic cults are of that immoral persuasion.

As the superior Catholic theology, it is my hope that Gnostic Christianity will eventually bury the non-egalitarian and immoral Christian cults as their members recognize that equality is the right moral system for all to live under.

If you have investigated Gnostic Christianity, do you agree that from a moral POV, they are the superior Christian theology thanks to equality and Universalism?

Regards

DL

I really see there as having been too many sects forced under the Gnostic umbrella to make that sort of judgement.

According to the Gospel of Judas only a select few could reach Heaven(as revealed to Judas by Jesus). Contrasting with that is Mandaeism in which Jesus was seen as a false prophet.

A couple of the more extreme examples, but both are likely to feel equally "wrong" to a majority of Christians today.

I do think for moral and practical reasons major religions will become more accepting over time. Most probable situation looking at past history.

I really see there as having been too many sects forced under the Gnostic umbrella to make that sort of judgement.

According to the Gospel of Judas only a select few could reach Heaven(as revealed to Judas by Jesus). Contrasting with that is Mandaeism in which Jesus was seen as a false prophet.

A couple of the more extreme examples, but both are likely to feel equally "wrong" to a majority of Christians today.

I do think for moral and practical reasons major religions will become more accepting over time. Most probable situation looking at past history.

So you do not see Universalism or the fact that women and gays are given full equality as a major factor?

Gays and women will not care about equality. Is that right?

Regards

DL

No. I am saying there are simply too many beliefs under that umbrella to speak out in favor of gnosticism.

I am in favor of equality for all, but I don't see gnosticism as being in support of this.

Edited by Endy0816

Endy

On Righteousness

The rightousness of God is a kind of sharing along with equality. There is equality in the heaven which is stretched out in all directions and contains the entire earth in its circle. The night reveals all the stars equally.

http://gnosis.org/library/ephip.htm

http://www.netplaces.com/gnostic-gospels/who-were-the-authors-of-the-gnostic-gospels/gnostic-view-of-gender-equality.htm

Google is a great source of facts.

But if you think some other religion other than Gnostic Christianity will smarten Christianity and Islam up, then support them.

That is the right thing to do.

Regards

DL

Didn't the gnostics consider the god of the old testament to be Satan masquerading as god?

More or less but do remember that we do not read any scripture literally. Especially our own. They are too weird.

The trick and what we preach is that any myth from any tradition is there for people to internalize and by doing so, one gains enlightenment when the pineal gland is activated.

Somewhat as Jesus taught.

Regards

DL

+ 1

We are serious but try to be intelligent about it.

That is something the dumb them down religions do not like or practice.

Strange that Christianity, who says it has all the answers, cannot tolerate questions and always hide hard answers behind miracles and faith.

Regards

DL

Didn't the gnostics consider the god of the old testament to be Satan masquerading as god?

Yeah, that matches up with some gnostic concepts of the demiurge. The force or being that created the material world.

I see it as having been a system of salvation based on the possession of "secret" knowledge(Greek: Gnosis). I just find that to be anathema and plenty exclusionary in its own way. It is an interesting subject intellectually and historically though.

Edited by Endy0816

• 1 month later...