Ads slowing down computer badly???

Lightmeow

Hello, I am at the moment, my home computer is a 2004 dell computer with a Pentium D processor and a half gig of ram... Is there a way that a mod could turn off ads for me. I know its the ads, because at the bottom I can see it trying to connect to the Google ads, then Google anylitics, then Firefox crashs

Thanks

Could a mod move this to the comments, questions and support part of the forum... Forgot we had that... Thanks

Edited by Lightmeow

No, probably not.

There are adblocker programs/plugins, and flash-blocking programs/plugins you can probably install, but it has to be done on your computer.

I have tried a ad blocker, but that slows down my computer even more than having the ads on.

Unless money or other factors is an issue, I'd get a new computer. The Pentium D is a low-point in Intel's production history. You could probably crank it up a notch by doubling the memory in it, but that doesn't negate the fact that the CPU architecture is seriously flawed. And now, 10 years later, it simply doesn't last.

Have you tried other browsers? I can imagine there are other, more light weight browsers out there, that will work just as well and not bring your computer to its knees. One step further, there are light-weight Linux distributions that work very well for every day use, and won't bog you down.

As a guess, you are running Windows.

I suggest to save all your valuable files, favorites folder, to an external removable drive and reinstall your operative system without bells, whistles, additions and peddler programs. I cannot guide you on the reinstallation, but there is a way with Microsoft if you do not have the OS disc. The way computer service centers do it.

As alternative, swap you hard drive with a new one and install a fresh Windows or Linux. That way you preserve all and can go back, or access its contents by connecting externally.

Make backing files to an external drive a habit.

All sites you visit are permanently pushing for control of your computer, they all want your attention. Make sure settings are to discard all cookies and temporary files every time the browser is closed, do not allow automatic installation/upgrade of anything, and as said before, use adblock. The abuse in advertising forces this.

Am running Linux for 8 years now, and have not yet rid of Google spying actions, Facebook and Twitter insertions in web pages, but have no slowdown at all. A loooong way to get used to this operative system, but not going back to Windows; at all. Never.

Once I saw on my screen at the spot an advertisement would pop-up, an angry message like "Your adblocker use made me loose 5 cents by not displaying my ad"

That tells the forces behind the push to put jumping monkeys and crap in front of your eyes.

Agree with Externet - my pc at work is probably older than quite a few members here - but I run a stripped down linux and it is as fast as most modern windows pcs (a bit less pretty tho.) It is also pretty fun being very secure, completely adaptable and configurable, heeps of geek-sheek. Lots of things are more difficult than in windows or mac-os; but alternatively lots of things are possible that are not in windows or mac-os.

And FYI - most linux distros now come with a bootable cd-version that will allow you to try before you commit

Yes, my 2003 Compaq runs Ubuntu 12.04 + Gnome + Firefox and have never updated it since 04/2012, even when I get a weekly push from Canonical with all the goodies available to be added, and newer versions have been issued. And it is pretty !

Can be downloaded and burned to a CD from any compfuser for $0 for an evaluation try which adds nothing to the hard drive, as runs from the 'live' CD.

Since 2006, I have had removable hard drives; one Linux, one Windows; never mixing both OS in one drive (dual boot is possible), and by lack of using the Windows one, ended with a single drive again in 2009.

The evaluation CD runs considerably slower and could cause a wrong impression when trying. It is not the case when installed.

If you have a used good blanked hard drive, (or a new one!) install it there for a better sense. But will drive you crazy at the beginning, it will be like learning to drive a battle tank downhill after decades of using the same bicycle uphill.

-Then you add adblocker.

The beginners forum is at ----> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326 And the jargon is from another planet.

Edited: Added----> http://zorin-os.com/ for hardcore Windows users; it is Linux in a Windows dress/disguise/mask/makeup - (Have not tried it.)

Edited by Externet

Your the main problem is lack of physical memory.

1 GB or even 2 GB is now absolute minimum.

Otherwise system has to back and forth swapping memory to disk and vice versa because of lack of data in right moment.

I am not using ad blockers.

Instead I am disabling all flash in whole system by replacing DLL by empty one.

Browsers can't load it. It can't auto update and none flash website is working.

When I want flash (YouTube/Vimeo), I am using Chrome which has separate flash module.