Engineering a very scary future : video.

Externet

Well, its very slow and very noisy which will be very nearly impossible to reduce to any level low enough to not announce its arrival ahead of its tactical window. I can imagine a group of solders having there own watch dog device that would auto detect and destroy at long range with little difficulty, a vehicle mounted mini gun or even their own higher altitude mini predator. That was just a toy in the video, the gunfire was coming from off camera, which shows how vulnerable it would be to the same weapon system. A good surprise attack at close range with a shotgun would put that out of service fast.

Not convinced that isn't a nice production job with some flash bangs and post production cg.

And as a weapon - you would hear it way before it had a good chance of hitting you. And whilst it is difficult to hit a target moving in the air - it is far more difficult to hit a target moving on the ground from a position moving in the air. Still combined with some of the multiple-copter continuously levelling control algorithms which are available now - thus removing that idiotic professional russian from the controls - and if it could actually be built, it could be a horrid weapon.

Not convinced that isn't a nice production job with some flash bangs and post production cg.

And as a weapon - you would hear it way before it had a good chance of hitting you. And whilst it is difficult to hit a target moving in the air - it is far more difficult to hit a target moving on the ground from a position moving in the air. Still combined with some of the multiple-copter continuously levelling control algorithms which are available now - thus removing that idiotic professional russian from the controls - and if it could actually be built, it could be a horrid weapon.

I agree that the booms were enhanced; I'm guessing by rigging the targets. I also think the auto-leveling is already in place with this device. The thing appears to hover without any feedback from the pilot.

I don't think this is particularly loud while it flies, especially if you have mechanical noises where the target is, like vehicles or equipment. Also, in lots of terrain types it would be hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Drones are already used to find out what's over the next hill, though I don't know if multi-rotor copters are doing that job or if it's still limited to fixed wing drones. There's an advantage to having local control of the device and immediate information about what the camera is showing rather than having to communicate with a remote base.

Yeah, FPSRussia is known for putting small explosives in his targets. Makes the videos more fun.

He's also done videos to promote new video games. I believe the quadrotor in this video is actually from Call of Duty:

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/MQ-27_Dragonfire

So yeah, it's a viral marketing job, not a real drone. Pretty sure the drone is CGI in the video, judging by how it moves.

• 1 month later...

It is defiantly CGI the "machine gun" does not even have a magazine, guess I must be better at spotting the cgi look than most people. Pyrotechnics take care of the targets.

But in principle there is nothing preventing something like this being build autostabilization can take care of the recoil you will just have an increasingly rapid reverse with sustained fire.

It would have military applications in flanking opponents in urban environments, might be a whether deploying it would be an faster than calling in artillery shell is debatable. Artillery is not always in range often soldiers have to wait for an airstrike. It would also be useful if the drone you send to scout out the ruins can or new areas can quickly finish of a opponents left there quickly. Also some modern millitaries seem to dislike using artillery in urban environments even when they are gps guided. They seem to model themselves ofn the the hearts and minds doctrine of failed ocupations like Vietnam instead of successful conquerors like Genghis Khan.