Time Travel... is it Possible..?

Finalshine

im not one for been absolute on anything but after watching a TV program, that was based on time the universe an the effects of it all on the everyday day
life on earth an the basic operations and physics of the universe. The program stated that time travel to the future is possible cause every eventuality
is cast upon the space time continuum ready to unfold like a flicker movie showing single frame pictures, im not ruling out that it could be possible, but i
think to my self that how can travel to the future be possible if time is relative, how can thing have already happened if were are now in the present what i am saying is i don't think its possible as no ones future or destiny is written,an the future hasn't happen yet.. the program
went on to say that time travel to the past is not possible , as in no body has come back from the future yet so unless there hiding very well in society
its not possible.. yet in a way i think that time travel to the past could be possible , in saying that.. i believe that once an action or part of
the space time continuum has been set in motion an passes an exists as the past, it could be possible from the present to go back in time by locking on to pre determined
parts of the space time continuum , like bus stops in time , that only go in reverse an back to the present,to the point of the big bang theory where
space time stops an the physics of general relativity and time cease to exists..no one could think that how if we could go back in time what type of technology or
power requirements would be needed for this type of thing.. now ive studied that black holes exert effects on space time to the point of time and action cease
to stop existing in the universe under normal relativity due to time dilation, now if somehow a black hole could be harnessed an that by keeping the black hole as it is of how the complex operations that make a black hole, but somehow
reversing what the time gravitational and time dilation effects that are exerted upon the universe, in theory what if the reversing effects of the black hole could actually reverse time , as a normal
operating black hole stops time completely , reversing the effects in someway could actually reverse time altogether to a select point, depending on the controlled conditions and what effects are exerted upon the user..

Edited by Finalshine

You can't reverse the time dilation effects from a black hole in order to go back in time.
Time dilation in general relativity is given by

[latex]\tau = \int_0^t \sqrt{g_{00}} \ dt[/latex]

You can never get [latex]\sqrt{g_{00}}[/latex] to be negative, even if [latex]g_{00}[/latex] is negative. If the time component of the metric tensor is negative, you will end up with an imaginary number for the time dilation factor.

Edited by Endercreeper01

• 3 weeks later...

I admit I could easily be wrong and that my understanding could be faulty, but here goes....

A black hole does not have a magic effect on time, nor does it manipulate it in any way, so we cannot cause the black hole to change the way it affects time. Its effect on time is the same one we all have. The more your mass, the slower your time relative to an outside observer. Therefore, to us, as outside observers, events in the event horizon of a black hole may move at a glacial pace, to an observer inside a black holes event horizon, they would be moving at a normal speed.

You could possibly remove some of the effect that mass and energy have on the flow of time, but you could not reverse it.

This is a basic answer and leaves out tons of math and physics, but I believe that the final answer is correct.

I would like to believe that time travel is possible, and our current understanding of time is this: there seems to be something called time. And things seem to happen in a specific order, such as cause preceeding effect.

Everything else is theory and observation, which is the first step to understanding something. We are babies playing with blocks when it comes to understanding time.

If time travel were possible, and in the way that popular television presents it, It would be devastating. Imagine 3 guys from New York building a time machine in their basement and travelling to, say 800 c.e. to observe the mound builder cultures around St. Louis. They pop back to ancient N.Y. and travel to the MIssissippi. Every person they meet along the way is suddenly at risk of catching a disease that could become a plague! Your body is full of viruses and bacteria that may be harmless to you and your own personal....ecosystem, I guess, but those same bacteria and viruses could devastate entire cultures that have no defense against them. And god forbid you travel back to some of the cities from the dark ages. European cities were festering disease factories in the dark ages. You could not return home for fear of spreading the next plague in your own time.

Edited by slyrat

Its effect on time is the same one we all have. The more your mass, the slower your time relative to an outside observer.

It's the gravitational potential that gives you the change in the rate, so it depends on mass and your position relative to that mass.