Why did Adam and Eve not eat of the tree of life first?

Greatest I am

or

C) it's a made-up story and doesn't have to make sense.

That just takes all the fun out of treating it as a totally factual reference. ^_^

Establishing a timeline of events for the arrest of Jesus is another good one. Treating the Gospels as eyewitness reports.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to know what idiot let the snake into the garden?

I mean, it's not like they couldn't tell what would happen.

What were they thinking of?

(I'd also like to know how come people believe that it was all paradise until someone decided not to follow the rules; and that someone was a woman.

Seriously?)

Because the church reversed what the Jews thought of Eden. Man's elevation became our fall.

It is also likely why, if you check the Vatican art of Eden, Satan is depicted as a well breasted woman.

Christianity has always blamed women for everything.

That is why they still deny them and gays equality.

Regards

DL

It's a culture-control book. And it worked.

+ 1

Regards

DL

Yes I can see that was likely the intent of the authors and compilers.

Yes. Roman ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4FsAQtnGN8&feature=player_embedded

Regards

DL

I think you took my comment wrongly. From how I see it and the way most religions look at sex for pleasure, Adam and Eve were banned from the paradise for engaging in sexual arts other than for procreation. I leave 'eating the cherry/plum' to your imaginations. NSFW.

Yet A & E are not said to have any sex till after being banished and not even as having the power to choose to or not without the knowledge of good and evil.

You point to evil sex but A & E could not know evil or sex as sex has both good and evil aspects.

For a guy in a science forum, you do not think too deeply.

Regards

DL

Either:

A) it had no effect prior to

or

B) it would have made Adam and Eve immortal

If B is true then God apparently didn't care and Adam and Eve just happened not to have already eaten from it. I don't see this as casting anyone in a good light, so I prefer A.

As far as gaining a moral sense goes, I was really thinking in terms of metaphor not as a literal interpretation.

If you want literal then God asked for good behavior from people lacking knowledge of good and evil. One can only hope that the whole thing was part of His Plan and that Adam and Eve weren't being punished but merely sent on their way as God intended from the start.

It is not what I want but it is the literal view that has Christianity denying women and gays equality.

That is why the myth deserves refutation.

Regards

DL

Because knowledge is power, and power may only be God's.

And in a more practical sense, because the parable warns you, the lowly human, of the dangers of asking too many questions and being overly curious. God gave you a good thing here, dude. He knows best, and when he doesn't, your pastor does.

This is all about power.

That said, I disagree that the tree of knowledge is *all* of knowledge. Adam and Eve ate from it and they don't know everything; they got the sense of curiosity and the sense of doubt. It's a tree that has the *essense* of knowldge (which is the danger to god) rather than pure 1+1=2 knowldge.

Power and money. For sure.

As to knowledge of good and evil being connected to almost everything.

Just to show how wrong you are, can you name a few things or issues where good and evil do not apply?

Regards

DL

!

Moderator Note

/snipped

Yet A & E are not said to have any sex till after being banished and not even as having the power to choose to or not without the knowledge of good and evil.

You point to evil sex but A & E could not know evil or sex as sex has both good and evil aspects.

For a guy in a science forum, you do not think too deeply.

Regards
DL

/snipped

"For a guy in a science forum, you do not think too deeply." Stop it straight away - that is unacceptable.