Fighting Off Invading ETs

Airbrush

Did anyone see this program on the Military channel? It is a scenario with Michio Kaku and others. Suppose ETs were headed for Earth, what are they after? The planet, and we would be in their way. So they would work at getting rid of us. First EMPs set off over all major cities would reduce us to before electricity, we would be blinded. Then they could pound the oceans with huge masses at high speed to create tsunamis to destroy all coastal populations, where most people live. Then, finally, they would develope a bio-weapon to spread on birds.

In the scenario, enough humans survived to attempt to fight back with technology that was shielded from the EMPs. We were able to fire nuclear missiles at their mother ship, but the force of the blast proved ineffective in outer space. Then we can up with (or maybe we built these in advance just in case?) a "nuclear well" as ultimate weapon. A nuclear well is a hole dug straight down into the earth, maybe a half mile or so, with a nuclear bomb at the bottom of the hole. You fill the hole with water, to act as the propellant, and you top off the barrel with a shot-gun-load of something to blast out into space at 42 miles per second. They fired metal disks at the mothership and breached its' hull. I don't know how you aim it. Maybe you need to build many of them all over the world, and use the Earth's rotation upon aiming at a gigantic mother ship in orbit.

Does this sound realistic? Or do you propose other senarios?

Edited by Airbrush

If I were an alien wanting to inhabit Earth, I'd wait till 2100 to see if climate warming would be enough to release the methane hydrate from the ocean's floors. If not, I'd help it happen, and that would destroy almost all life on Earth. It wouldn't take a mother ship, only a scout with undersea robots that could dislodge the methane hydrate. Finishing off the few thousand humans that manage to survive in caves would be easy.

I think the biology on Earth might make them ill, and sterilizing the planet would cure their potential ills. Actually, I think the most likely aliens will be cyborgs or robots, and they have no reason to invade Earth. They can find all the raw materials they need in so many places that stopping by Earth would just be something to do for fun. They could cloak their ship and land without our knowing. And, there are more possibilities than science fiction writers have dreamed. Who knows what would tickle the fancy of an Unknowableitarian.

If the aliens were clever they could just tip a few points in favor of the political right wing and let most of the human race destroy itself.

It takes time to cross interstellar space; we can assume these aliens are patient.

On the other hand, we are aware that it makes sense to send robot probes to, for example, mars and venus, because we don't want to send people on a suicide mission.

Might the aliens feel the same way?

So, what we would meet first would not be an invading army, but a drone.

A bloke with a good pair of boots could destroy any of the probes we sent outside Earth's gravitational domain.

How frightened do we need to be here?

isn't it plausible that, for every Earth like planet with "people" on it, there are dozens with nothing more aggressive than pondweed?

How dumb would the aliens be to pitch a fight so far from home?

Did anyone see this program on the Military channel? It is a scenario with Michio Kaku and others. ...

I think that's Me So Kooko. :P Seriously though, has this guy lost all self-respect?

I think all we have to do is sneeze on a couple aliens and let the viruses do the rest. Think War of the Worlds.

Why is it an underlying presumption that aliens, presuming them to be a plural group, must necessarily arrive by travelling through space as we know it?

Why can't we consider a large range of other possibilities such as intelligent 'life' unlike anything we can imagine could have been with us all along standing back and watching the show? Maybe they/he/she/it set this show up? Maybe they'd simply find us too boring to be bothered with? Maybe they'll soon decide to harvest us as food?

The list could go on and on but from my perspective it's pointless as any notion we can 'prepare for them' constitutes extaordinary vanity of an unscientific kind.

Edited by Dissily Mordentroge

I think that's Me So Kooko. :P Seriously though, has this guy lost all self-respect?

I think all we have to do is sneeze on a couple aliens and let the viruses do the rest. Think War of the Worlds.

Unless the aliens don't happen to use DNA, in which case the aliens will be immune.

Your pet dog doesn't suffer from the same viruses you do; why assume an alien would?

Unless the aliens don't happen to use DNA, in which case the aliens will be immune.

Your pet dog doesn't suffer from the same viruses you do; why assume an alien would?

Erhm...rabies? Anyway, just throwing out ideas and I've always wanted to sneeze on an alien. :)

earth has an expensive gravitational field. it would be much more reasonable that space fairing creatures would plunder us of easy to get resources within the solar system making our growth out into the solar system futile. imagine that! our future existence stolen from us and we would not have the ability to fight back due to the fact that we are hindered by the gravity of the earth.

suppose we launched a probe to gather data once we realize they are there. we are ignored. we send nuclear warheads at them. they uses thier superior propulsion to intercept the bombs. thier response is steering a large asteroid towards us.

an exctinction level event.

If aliens had the technology to travel between stars bent on domination it would be muck like our modern military fighting stone age people with stick and spears. They could just sit back and pellet us with rocks and get the job done. There is an interesting series of science fiction books with just this theme, an alternate history where aliens attack the earth during the middle of WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar_series

Then there is always this master piece of horror... >:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_Invaders

I think the biology on Earth might make them ill, and sterilizing the planet would cure their potential ills. Actually, I think the most likely aliens will be cyborgs or robots, and they have no reason to invade Earth. They can find all the raw materials they need in so many places that stopping by Earth would just be something to do for fun. They could cloak their ship and land without our knowing. And, there are more possibilities than science fiction writers have dreamed. Who knows what would tickle the fancy of an Unknowableitarian.

"Unknowableitarians", hahahaha.

Yes their robotic probes would come here first stealthily to study us. Their makers, back on their home planet, or in a gigantic mother ship maybe many light years from earth, can figure out what do do with us so they could jouney to a nice new STERILE planet. Kepler is telling us that Earth-like planet are quite rare.

How do you sterilize Earth without making the surface unhabitable by the aliens for a long period of time? Maybe they are in a hurry to colonize Earth? Maybe they understand supervolcanos and can spot the ones we have. They can zap each supervolano to set them off. But then Earth will not be a nice place for thousands of years.

If aliens had the technology to travel between stars bent on domination it would be much like our modern military fighting stone age people with stick and spears. They could just sit back and pellet us with rocks and get the job done.

Yes, that is what I thought for a long time, but what if the aliens are a little like us in that they are so clever in their technology, they think they "know it all", but don't understand us ENOUGH. According the the sci-speculations documentary, the aliens did not want to disrupt the ecosphere, just eliminate humans. The humans waged gorilla, asymetric, warfare against the invadors, (according to "The Art of War) just enough to make their prospects for taking over Earth, not worth the trouble. Anyhow, if they are comfortable traveling across deep space, they would not really NEED a new planet.

Is it a certainty that Earth-microbes would be fatal to them, like in War of the Worlds?

Does anyone here think the "Ancient Aliens" theory, from History Channel, has some validity? Some programs seem quite persuasive. Do you notice fallacies?

Edited by Airbrush

Why is it we insist on attributing human behaviours to aliens? Fear of the unknown?

Why is it we continue to imagine aliens travelling through space to visit us when they may be here already?

Really, this is all about us seeing the universe through human eyes.

We fail to consider really scary possibilities such as alien intelligence having observed our behavior and, seeing it as a danger to all of creation, deciding to simply pull the plug on our entire universe without a second thought.

Edited by Dissily Mordentroge

Why is it we insist on attributing human behaviours to aliens? Fear of the unknown?

Why is it we continue to imagine aliens travelling through space to visit us when they may be here already?

What other eyes do you suggest we see through?

According the the sci-speculations documentary, the aliens did not want to disrupt the ecosphere, just eliminate humans. The humans waged gorilla, asymetric, warfare against the invadors, (according to "The Art of War) just enough to make their prospects for taking over Earth, not worth the trouble. Anyhow, if they are comfortable traveling across deep space, they would not really NEED a new planet.

Is it a certainty that Earth-microbes would be fatal to them, like in War of the Worlds?

Does anyone here think the "Ancient Aliens" theory, from History Channel, has some validity? Some programs seem quite persuasive. Do you notice fallacies?

Are you supporting Ancient Aliens here? In any case, I see no evidence for ancient aliens. The show is just ideas more-or-less based on Velikovsky's books of the 50's, put in snappy dressing. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Velikovsky ]

We'd probably be hosed honestly.

Asteroid(s) - Dust - Famine - Riots

At that point they are pretty much free to come in and do whatever they feel like. Personally if I were them I'd just launch aerial attacks. Decimate any remaining agriculture and then send in robot drones to scour the surface. Possibly they could work in some quasi-religious angle and convince survivors to come out of hiding, congregating to one location.

If I were an alien wanting to inhabit Earth, I'd wait till 2100 to see if climate warming would be enough to release the methane hydrate from the ocean's floors. If not, I'd help it happen, and that would destroy almost all life on Earth. It wouldn't take a mother ship, only a scout with undersea robots that could dislodge the methane hydrate. Finishing off the few thousand humans that manage to survive in caves would be easy.

Astonishing to me the many forms human paranoia about 'them' have taken on this thread when the biggest and most likely threat to human survival is the human race itself.

Astonishing to me the many forms human paranoia about 'them' have taken on this thread when the biggest and most likely threat to human survival is the human race itself.

Well to be fair the thread is about alien invasion not mans threats to himself. The fear of the other is a well established theme in human cultures who could more "other" than extraterrestrials?

I think the basic but unsaid assumption of this thread that aliens would be enough like us to want our planet is an assumption that is weak to say the least. Atmospheric differences are easily the hardest for aliens to get past.

Well to be fair the thread is about alien invasion not mans threats to himself. The fear of the other is a well established theme in human cultures who could more "other" than extraterrestrials?

I think the basic but unsaid assumption of this thread that aliens would be enough like us to want our planet is an assumption that is weak to say the least. Atmospheric differences are easily the hardest for aliens to get past.

Yes, and I was aware I was wandering off topic but ( if you'll excuse me being unscientifically freudian for a moment) I suggest all this speculation about aliens dropping in on us, and the many hiddious things they'll do, is due to a widespread repression of a profound fear we are indeed our own worst enemy. Arther Koestler's "The Ghost in The Machine' approaches this notion with a yet to be refuted thesis.

Microorganisms, fungi and insects (especially their larvae) together will break pretty much everything down in days. Our invading aliens should be prepared to fight that.

Through our broadcasts they may have a lot of information about humans, but unless they watched all the nature documentaries in detail (and understood it), all small life forms may be a bit of a surprise to them which they only find out after landing on the surface...

We fail to consider really scary possibilities such as alien intelligence having observed our behavior and, seeing it as a danger to all of creation, deciding to simply pull the plug on our entire universe without a second thought.

As Acme said, what else do we have? I think we have no other model to base the aliens on. Especially when you base everything on the assumption that aliens want to invade/conquer, you already attribute a human trait to the aliens. Why not give them a few more?

If it would just be a battle of alien vs human, then aliens will have technology on their side (frickin' lasers perhaps?), but we play with a home advantage, and with numbers on our side. Seriously, we have well over 100,000 military vehicles (tanks, howitzers, carriers) on this planet. The list is endless. I agree with some people above that lobbing a huge space rock (asteroid) onto the planet is not a viable strategy, as it destroys the target. It's like trying to conquer the museum of national arts by blowing it up. That is not an invasion. That is just (space) terrorism.

Btw, holy crap, the US really have many more military aircraft than everybody else!

I don't think Aliens will come here to wage war with humans because they want something on the planet Earth or elsewhere in our solar system. We think Earth is a paradise and can be afraid that someone will take away our goodies but in reality the Aliens will not likely think of Earth as a paradise and we don't have any special resources on Earth or inside our system worth fighting for.

If they come here then it will either be an exploration mission which accidentally stumbled on us or they already know we are here and their visit is solely because of us humans. In the latter case it could be a peaceful mission for them to learn more about another conscious race, that we might benefit from but it could also be our demise if they want to exterminate potential competition or just get rid of the pestering bugs in their neighbourhood.

In all three cases they will be much more advanced than us and if they already know about us then they won't make contact unless they also feel secure that we are harmless to them. If they want us dead then they will strike without varning or care of what happens to Earth.

The only Aliens we would be able to fight off would be an unexpecting exploration mission, which as John Cuthber says most likely will be an automated drone. Unarmed and harmless, but stuffed with scientific instruments that would be a goldmine for us if we could get our hands on it. However it could be prepared for such an event and instead of revealing itself, it would remain undetected in the outskirts, spying on us and sending information back home. The masters of the probe can then safely choose if they want contact or avoid us.

In short, I don't think there is going to be any invasion and in case of war we will be wiped out swift and without mercy.

!

Moderator Note

Bonerfart, read our rules, especially section 2.1 to learn how to behave. One more of such rule violation, and you'll be suspended. This is the last warning.

Did you smoke crack?

To everyone else who feels the need to reply to this: this issue has now been dealt with. We're moving on. Do not reply to this mod note in the thread, and in addition, do not reply to Bonerfart's post.