Dark matter.

Ctroxa

I'm curious if this topic has ever been discussed. My personal theory is that dark matter is just dead energy. Which explains the 5-1 ratio. Has this ever been discussed? Or am I just an idiot? I have a weird feeling about this one.

I'm curious if this topic has ever been discussed. My personal theory is that dark matter is just dead energy. Which explains the 5-1 ratio. Has this ever been discussed? Or am I just an idiot? I have a weird feeling about this one.

Yeah,

We get news articles and such, concerning the search for "dark matter" and what it might be. Discussions occur in several different forums/ categories here on an ongoing bases, maybe several times a year.

Mainstream cosmology believes that dark matter is a "real thing" hence the "cold dark matter" (CDM) in the Lambda CDM version of the Big Bang model, called the Concordance model. If General Relativity is the right theory of gravity, CDM is needed to explain observed rotation curves/ rates of stars within spiral galaxies and the motion of galaxies within a cluster. Other supposed evidence for CDM is the bending of light around galaxies which also does not follow the equations of General Relativity unless there is a lot more matter within some galaxies than what can be observed.

Probably the simplest solution is that General Relativity is wrong period, at least at galactic scales. Most theorists, however, believe dark matter is a yet undetected particle of some kind that makes up the majority of matter within the universe. Some might call it a graviton, others believe it is a WIMP (a weak interactive particle of some kind that has mass in the classical sense).

There have been a great many hypothesis concerning dark matter and what it might be. Still others have other explanations to explain observations other than needing dark matter to explain anything.

Your ideas and use of the word "dead" combined with the word "energy" seems to be a misnomer. Energy is equivalent to relative motion, or action (spin, vibration, animation of some kind). These words of motion seem the opposite of the word dead: (dead meaning lifeless, motionless, inanimate, etc,) The word "energy" in general also is seldom used with the hypothesis of "dark matter," concerning mainstream theorists. Most believe Dark energy is also something/ a concept/hypothesis unrelated to dark matter.

Don't be surprised if all of these "dark hypothesis" go up in smoke some day revealing that there was nothing there in the first place. Instead there might be much simpler solutions to the explanation of observations :)

Edited by pantheory

if the universe is drawn from information, then some overage of the required information to construct a universe may be detectable in dark matter. Whenever a mechanical process of assembly takes place, there are always some inherent inefficiencies that take place, some residual, unused portion of the raw materials. In the case of dark matter, it seems a necessary ingredient to shape our universe as it is, but not necessary for it's physical existence...so it could be considered, at this early date, to be "dead" or more accurately, a ballast, as a ship might have. Not necessary for the ship itself, but the additional mass will alter it's handling characteristics in a positive fashion...

Matter and energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only converted from one to another. So energy does not die. Matter does not die. But if matter decays into photons, could not photons also decay? Or is the final state of the universe maximum entropy, a sea of photons moving randomly at absolute zero forever, or until another bang?

[...] Or is the final state of the universe maximum entropy, a sea of photons moving randomly at absolute zero forever [...]

That's the current prevailing "heat death" model. Except the photons aren't at absolute zero, since that would imply no movement.

Edited by BearOfNH