Computer life

Wso

To start off I don't know if this is already a forum or if this is in the wrong place. If it is then please move, delete or close it.

That being said, I was thinking about the basic definitions by which we define life. It has to reproduce, evolve, be made of cells, produce waste and use reasources (I may be missing a few so correct me here if needed). Computer programs can be made to randomly mutate their code, they use processing power from other host computers, reproduce, have a code which is somewhat similar to DNA (DNA has 2 combinations of 4 base pairs, binary has 2 possible states per unit of information so the two are quite similar). My question is, at what point does a simple code fit the definitions of life in the same sence that viruses do?

I have to say, no.

Even if we invented an android that fullfilled all these requirements I would still say no due to the fact that known lifeforms are far more complex. In the future we will build something of sufficient complexity to call "alive" but until then it is merely a machine. When it's alive it will possess machine intelligence and it will probably have designed itself for the main part.

It will have to translate its(') thoughts into modern language to be understood by humans.