Moving on from the Island of Human Endevour.

Mike Smith Cosmos

• 2 weeks later...

Those interested in the development of Prof. Lee Smolin,s proposal

on the Nature of Time as a Paradigm Shift ( From Nateuralism 1 to Naturalism 2 ) LECTURE

A Lecture given recently link :-

Prof Lee Smolin has introduced the issue of a Paradigm Shift in our approach to TIME in his Book 'Time Reborn '.

Here he speaks of time being a moment by moment event. the only part being real is the Present , Now, the present moment.

The past is gone , the present moment is real and now , the Future is only partially predicted , but by no means certain. the past has remnants of the present.

I am out on the street in various Towns, Villages, and Cities . Painting and discussing in the street while I paint among other aspects of Reality this new Time picture. ( painted three separate pictures ,similar to this one, it is evolving as I repeat them , so far , it is of this time concept) I am getting a good response , particularly by discussion .

:-post-33514-0-99052100-1405116286_thumb.jpg

Here the bottom 1/3 represents the past , the middle 1/3 the present , and the top 1/3 the future.

One of the science forum members has gone to see Lee Smolin in a visit to London. He spoke with him about his released book ' Time Reborn ' with a view to setting up communication with him . Shortly the said member will be visiting me in SW England when we will discuss the matter of time further. In the mean time I can be found on the streets of various towns and cities painting and discussing the great paradigm shift in our view of time .

This is how it used to be in Rome and Athens in the days of the great debates.

post-33514-0-08788500-1405117685_thumb.jpg

Raphael's painting of Philosophers discussing in the streets of Rome and Athens .

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Prof Lee Smolin has introduced the issue of a Paradigm Shift in our approach to TIME in his Book 'Time Reborn '.

Here he speaks of time being a moment by moment event. the only part being real is the Present , Now, the present moment.

The past is gone , the present moment is real and now , the Future is only partially predicted , but by no means certain. the past has remnants of the present.

Can you explain how expressing a view about time that represents the most commonplace view of the nature of time (despite there being many alternative views) represents a paradigm shift?

Can you explain how expressing a view about time that represents the most commonplace view of the nature of time (despite there being many alternative views) represents a paradigm shift?

Well according to Prof Lee Smolin , since the turn of the century the science community , following Einstein's lead , felt that time was more an illusion, and to be viewed more as a dimension of space time to be moved across , as it were , like any of the three space dimensions .

But he was re introducing the age old , moment by moment view of time , rather than the illusional view of time . Hence oft quoted ( oh time is just an illusion ! )

If you can spare the time , the above lecture does give a very clear, ( if you can hear above his mumbling ) view of this paradigm shift . ( reborn paradigm shift ) .

I imagine the apparent ambiguity in what I am saying , is that :- a paradigm tends to speak in terms of ' a world view ' The world at large , probably has not yet caught up with Einstein's view of thinking of time as part of a four dimensional space-time continuum . The world view within parts of science has just about struggled limping into viewing time as a dimension within the 4 dimensions of space time . The ' reborn' as far as I can make out is separating time out to how it was before Einstein , in other words how most of the world thought that's how it was anyway. But Lee Smolin , as far as I can work out is trying to paradigm reborn back out , the science community , into to the old way of of viewing time . Paradigm shift. Reborn . I think ! That is, the shift he hopes for , is more in the science world . ( world view - Paradigm )

( there is a good chance , that sounds a little ' gobble- de - goop ' . Hope not ! )

Mike

Ps A more brief explanation 20 mins :-

This is a very good , succinct explanation of the paradigm shift , proposed by the theory .

Can you explain ...

This is your chance to ' come and sort me out '. We as a geology group are going to the cliffs of Beer ( the Cretaceous part of the Jurassic Coast This Thursday Mid Day 17th July ) to examine the White Cliffs

6BR-Beer-Seaton-general-m.jpg

mike

This is your chance to ' come and sort me out '. We as a geology group are going to the cliffs of Beer ( the Cretaceous part of the Jurassic Coast This Thursday Mid Day 17th July ) to examine the White Cliffs

6BR-Beer-Seaton-general-m.jpg

mike

This Thursday I'll be pitching a business case to upper management in Houston. So, both of us will be dealing with cliffs. You'll be looking up at one and I'll probably be being thrown off one.

I do believe the bedrock of science needs to be maintained. However two things need to be tolerated if we are to allow progress.

1 Blue sky ideas must be explored.

2 Bedrock ideas must be allowed to be challenged from time to time to make sure the foundations of science do not have a serious fault that is impeding progress.

********************. **************************.

I think this is what Lee Smolin is doing here , in challenging a fundamental understanding on the nature of Time .

********************. **************************

Hence his recently published " Time. Reborn "

.When I was involved with computer function ( now only use them ) - The Clock - of the computer was one of the main foundation stones .

Here an example of attention to fundamental , hidden underground foundations in need of attention

post-33514-0-83591600-1405754005_thumb.jpg

Attention being given to poor foundation , underpinning , in progress to shaw up the foundations of the house.

------

Then having discovered new " LANDS " . We will have our home island to return to , that has not crumbled into the sea.

Mike

I do believe the bedrock of science needs to be maintained. However two things need to be tolerated if we are to allow progress.

1 Blue sky ideas must be explored.

2 Bedrock ideas must be allowed to be challenged from time to time to make sure the foundations of science do not have a serious fault that is impeding progress.

********************. **************************.

I think this is what Lee Smolin is doing here , in challenging a fundamental understanding on the nature of Time .

********************. **************************

Hence his recently published " Time. Reborn "

.When I was involved with computer function ( now only use them ) - The Clock - of the computer was one of the main foundation stones .

Here an example of attention to fundamental , hidden underground foundations in need of attention

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Attention being given to poor foundation , underpinning , in progress to shaw up the foundations of the house.

------

Then having discovered new " LANDS " . We will have our home island to return to , that has not crumbled into the sea.

Mike

Mike,

Your numbers 1 and 2 are already central to the foundations of science, but the hurdles are rigorous.

...but rather than 'leaving' and returning to the island, aren't we more extending our island?

~

Edited by Essay

Mike,

Your numbers 1 and 2 are already central to the foundations of science, but the hurdles are rigorous.

...but rather than 'leaving' and returning to the island, aren't we more extending our island?

~

Well , yes and no.

I developed the idea of.... the analogy ..(of Knowledge being in a series of islands separated from the mainland body of human experience and learning)...with quite a great deal of thought. This , some years ago, when I intuitively felt , ' what there is to know is utterly, utterly vast. ' .

When I was snorkeling off a Greek island . I came across this small section of rock ,under the shallow water. When I lifted my head out of the water, the rock of Aphrodite loomed above my head, rising large and skyward , and it shook me ridged with awe at its immensity.

post-33514-0-43677200-1405799902_thumb.jpg

So also I felt, was the body of knowledge of the cosmos. Vast . ( Spread out a bit in differing ' chunks ' .)

If I am correct , that there is a great yet undiscovered region of knowledge out there somewhere. In chunks. It needs someone/ many to go out on the open sea to look to find the location of this ' new land ' . True it might be connected via the under sea continental crust , but to all intents and purposes it's as if the bottom of the ocean is nowhere to be seen.

Analogy :-

We need to travel light, ( the sea is a totally different medium on which to travel) ,no bringing our entire human possessions , our house, our car, our trappings of 20 th century living , our current structure of industry and intellectual infrastructure. We are at sea with a light craft , seeking the next island, with the bare necessities to observe , survive and travel to, we know not where. I am not suggesting we all jump in the boat, but I am suggesting some people need to go and look and be accepted and supported ( if only by encouragement ) by the homeland that got us this far.

Allegorical Comment :-

I have made an initial exploratory trip out, and although I have not reached one of these islands ( I was washed overboard by torment ) , I did meet some sea travellers who spoke of strange lands where although they had a type of science we would recognize, much we would not. It seemed to incorporate a less deterministic methodology, somehow some other systems were incorporated. Life seemed to be merged more into the whole workings of nature and society . I did not fully understand. However the sea travellers did leave me their writings to read.

.mike

With the first sightings by the Chandra space telescope of possible ,new , unheard of before , physics. Here are spectral lines , showing emmision and absorption of energy band jumps, giving evidence of unknown ( elements, matter of some sort , whatever ) .

Link :-

We have a lot to cope with , new spectral lines, new energy, new matter . Maybe new physics to explain all this

Following illustration , of island on left showing knowledge currently understood.

On the right the black land mass with huge overhanging clouds in black showing the knowledge not yet understood about the universe.

post-33514-0-12983900-1406118871_thumb.jpg

Mike

With the first sightings by the Chandra space telescope ..........................................

We have a lot to cope with , new spectral lines, new energy, new matter . Maybe new physics to explain all this ..........................................

Mike

Roger Penrose ( one of the scientists behind the calculations for the explanations of black holes and the Big Bang ) suggested the need for a third area of Physics. One in between Quantum Physics and Classical physics . Could this be part of this huge area of missing knowledge?

He spoke about it while discussing with another eminent professor on a broadcast on " In our Time " by Melvin Bragg

Link :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p005464j [ interesting comment about 11:00 minutes in ]

Is this a whole new area of Physics . Consciousness Physics .

An area of Physics ;............. Not using Maths .......... But uses our Senses and our Consciousness,

Mike

Roger Penrose Professor Oxford University. ( one of the scientists behind the calculations for the explanations of black holes and the Big Bang ) suggested the need for a third area of Physics. One in between Quantum Physics and Classical physics . Could this be part of this huge area of missing knowledge?

He spoke about it while discussing with another eminent professor on a broadcast on Consiousness " In our Time " by Melvin Bragg.

At other times Roger Penrose spoke about the requirement for New Physics about

.also reality .

:also John Gribbin

also. Lee Smolin

also now quantum gravity

Is this a whole new area of Physics ?

New Physics . ( Between Quantum Physics ..very small and Classical Physics ..Large )

Mike

Reality :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00548dl

Quantum gravity :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00547c4

Consciousness:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p005464j

------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------

It would appear there is not just an increase in individual new discoveries and ideas that are required.

Rather there is this GAP between Quantum Physics of the very small with all its strangeness and the Large Classical Physics around human experience and out into the Universe at large .

It seems to include this idea of a Physics Theory involving atomic forces being unified in a common physics theory. There is the ideas of theories, dealing with the nature of reality itself and a General theory of everything going from nothing to everything . There is the issue of Observation and Consciousness. . There is the issue of The Anthropic Principle,* ( things seeming to be 'just right ' for human occupation ). And more .

--------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------

Mike

* Definition..Anthropic ...link:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

Mike,

Anthropic principle, in some regards, is a truism, as pointed out by some in the article.

Of course we are going to fit the place that we are in and of.

If we had no hands, we would not have handwriting experts. Sort of obvious. But since its so obvious that it is this universe that we fit, it is more of a mental experiment, than anything else, to consider what the universe would be like if this or that constant was at a different level.

If wishes were fishes we would all have a wonderder day.

But changing a parameter mentally and imagining the consequences is not likely to be accurate, and has no chance of being actual. For if a constant were to be different, then that would have been a factor in the way the universe was and is, and everything, and I mean everything would have adjusted to fit. WE would not be the same, is the normal consideration. Better to think that NOTHING would be the same, and leave it at that.

We have very little to do with what goes on in the bedroom of a stranger on the other side of the world.

We have almost nothing to do with what goes on in a cave on a planet on the other side of the Milky Way.

And its complete whim to consider what it would be like if the universe were different than it is, because it actual is not different than it is. It is rather exactly as it is, and everything fits nicely, already. How we would be, if this is not the way the universe is, is a non usefull thought. And an impossible happening.

Regards, TAR

And we already are conscious of it, so of course it is possible for life and consciousness to emerge within it, given the parameters within which it has happened.

If anything had been different, things would have gone differently. But they went this way. So this is where we are, and there is no other place and time that would or could be this way AND have us in it.

Sort of a truism. We can imagine anything we want, but only what is actual actually fits and follows all the rules. What we imagine does not have to fit, because its not actual, has no consequences and effects nothing and could be incorrect, because we make up the rules, and do not have a way to run a thought through all the parameters that reality subjects to an actual thing.

The difference between the waking world and a dream world.

But, to your thread points, to consider the world void of consciousness, and human consciousness most specifically, would be rather ignorant of the facts.

Regards, TAR

Can a model be generated, using an Island landmass within a vast ocean, to represent the encompassing of the entire range of human occupation, as it copes with discoveries.

Can the figurative launch from land to sea , be helped by considering the discipline of symmetry breaking, phase transition, complexity, and chaos .

Will the model offer help in dealing with our place in the Universe.

Hi Mike, I started off thinking that you were one sandwich short of a picnic. You have a way of using Physics to explain how human endeavour copes with making new discoveries - in short the human interaction of consciousness and how it interacts with the physical environment. Am I correct?

If not, feel free to enlighten me on this point. I have been reading up about Hameroff and Penrose's theory about quantum consciousness arising from neurons (nerve cells) in the brain. The nerve cells are peculiar to the brain and contain a peculiar form of microtubules (like a celllular skeleton) which is made of building blocks of a protein called tubulin. In between neighbouring neurons there are gaps called synapses. IIRC, the neurons start off vibrations in the microtubules which are orchestrated and then, the tubulin molecules (which number in the trillions easily) start to go into a shape which is similar to computer switches in "on", "off" or both due to quantum vibrations. At some point, something called quantum gravity (which I do not understand) causes a final "setting" of the switches (objective reduction) and gives rise to a conscious thought (e.g. "I need ice cream").

What I don't understand, amongst a whole multitude of things, is why everything around us physically cannot be explained in quantum terms - I thought it was quantum all the way up from subatomic particles to the largest objects in the cosmos.

It seems to me that what you are doing, and I commend you for it, is applying laws of physics to human behaviour as physical beings. IF that is true, you cannot avoid the indeterminate nature of the quantum world. But then, what do I know. I'm only a biologist...

Edited by jimmydasaint

Can a model be generated, using an Island landmass within a vast ocean, to represent the encompassing of the entire range of human occupation, as it copes with discoveries. Can the figurative launch from land to sea , be helped by considering the discipline of symmetry breaking, phase transition, complexity, and chaos .

Will the model offer help in dealing with our place in the Universe.

Hi Mike, I started off thinking that you were one sandwich short of a picnic. You have a way of using Physics to explain how human endeavour copes with making new discoveries - in short the human interaction of consciousness and how it interacts with the physical environment. Am I correct?

If not, feel free to enlighten me on this point. I have been reading up about Hameroff and Penrose's theory about quantum consciousness arising from neurons (nerve cells) in the brain. The nerve cells are peculiar to the brain and contain a peculiar form of microtubules (like a celllular skeleton) which is made of building blocks of a protein called tubulin. In between neighbouring neurons there are gaps called synapses. IIRC, the neurons start off vibrations in the microtubules which are orchestrated and then, the tubulin molecules (which number in the trillions easily) start to go into a shape which is similar to computer switches in "on", "off" or both due to quantum vibrations. At some point, something called quantum gravity (which I do not understand) causes a final "setting" of the switches (objective reduction) and gives rise to a conscious thought (e.g. "I need ice cream").

What I don't understand, amongst a whole multitude of things, is why everything around us physically cannot be explained in quantum terms - I thought it was quantum all the way up from subatomic particles to the largest objects in the cosmos.

It seems to me that what you are doing, and I commend you for it, is applying laws of physics to human behaviour as physical beings. IF that is true, you cannot avoid the indeterminate nature of the quantum world. But then, what do I know. I'm only a biologist...

Your first comment " You have a way of using Physics to explain how human endeavour copes with making new discoveries - in short the human interaction of consciousness and how it interacts with the physical environment. Am I correct "

No . I was putting it the other way around. The island was a metaphor for, the sum total of all human endeavour / occupation and knowledge . I was suggesting , that to make future scientific progress in knowledge and understanding, particularly in physics , it is as if we need to take on a totally new and different paradigm . Thus " so different ,as to be represented by a sea journey to a whole new set of different style of physics ideas ,represented by a new island surrounded by 'as yet ' not understood physics and knowledge.

There is a reluctance to make this journey , as we may get our feet wet, capsize, or some other struggle , as we are likely to be in new uncharted waters.

Mike

Ps Roger Penrose ideas of micro tubules in the brain are new and exciting . This of course partly brings in the consciousness . As does the anthropic principles , observation, observers , and the like .

I did discuss " tubes of opportunity in another thread , being indigenous , in the nature of reality "

post-33514-0-35752600-1406585502_thumb.jpg

This picture represents the entrance to such a tube of opportunity . Two of the requirement for entry to these tubes is 1: an initiative 2: a particular format of tube , with zero or minimum resistance down the centre of the tube.

Link :http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/72758-a-lingual-theory-of-everything/?p=758950

I have made further progress , as to the requirements at the entrance to the tube of opportunity .

• 1 month later...

This picture [ below ] represents the entrance to such a tube of opportunity . Two of the requirement for entry to these tubes is 1: an initiative 2: a particular format of tube , with zero or minimum resistance down the centre of the tube.

Link :http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/72758-a-lingual-theory-of-everything/?p=758950

I have made further progress , as to the requirements at the entrance to the tube of opportunity .

Amanda Gefter in her book " Trespassing on Einstein's Lawn " reports on her research, including her archive work on John Wheeler's Diaries [ " the boundary of a boundary is Zero ] ,.

Also she has been reporting on how significant the happenings at Event Horizons around singularities ( including the Big Bang Event Horizon ) offer insights as to Reality .

post-33514-0-35752600-1406585502_thumb.j

The picture above and the tube could easily illustrate an event Horizon .

Apparently , we should consider two different elephants falling into the event horizon. One seen travelling at constant velocity ( frame of Reference ) another accelerating ( reference frame) . One will see nothing happen. The other a wall of inferno fire.

One rider of the Elephant is called " Screwed " , the other is called " Safe ", riding his elephant .

Quote ( Page 245 Trespassing on Einsteins Lawn . Amanda Gefter ) .

Among others, Brockman and Susskind pointed Gefter in the direction of Wheeler's Diaries.

Much of her quest for answers on " reality " take her looking at examples of Symmetry Breaking and a look for examples of total " invariance " in order to see " Reality " , if possible ! .

Mike

Do elephants suffer from rheumatic fever? And if not why are they so often in the rheum?

Do these ' ruminating elephants ' of yours have any symbolic connection to 'Gefters' two elephants ridden by 'Safe' and 'Screwed' observed approaching and or going through an event horizon of a black hole toward a singularity ? And/or do they throw any light on her quest for finding Reality ? Or are you throwing a 'huge, rouge, herring' into the imagery ?

mike

ps . Mind you , I have not finished the book yet. Maybe you know something that I don't know yet !

• 1 month later...

Very soon , over the next month Sept 2014 through October 2014 The film THE PRINCIPLE is being released concerning Geocentered (namely the Earth is at the center of the universe , in some way , a special place ) and the Copernican principal ( that the Earth is not at the center of the Universe . Not a special place )

That should make for an interesting debate .

It might well precede a paradigm shift and assist in taking a world view to a new Island of knowledge and understanding , including taking science to new regions, hitherto before unknown .

Human Endevour. " Moving on from the Island of "

New discussion should be encouraged.

Some of the big names of Physics and Maths are quoted here ( Michael Kaku , Mark Tegmark ,etc )

post-33514-0-83031800-1413198673_thumb.jpg

As in " the Copernican principle "

.". Wa ..hey. , " you should see it go ! "

post-33514-0-60777300-1413199913_thumb.jpg

" And still they come , in their thousands ! "

post-33514-0-63940200-1413200290_thumb.jpg

" Jump aboard , you Land Lubbers "

post-33514-0-00166400-1413200526_thumb.jpg

Mike

The Pierian Spring

"A little learning is a dang'rous thing;

. Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, ''

..................more advanc'd, behold with strange surprise New distant scenes of endless science rise!

Link :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierian_Spring . Mike

quote-a-little-learning-is-a-dangerous-t

Transcend dichotomies! There is usually at least one perspective where both "sides" can be seen as parts of a greater 'truth' or whole.

~

Perhaps I should try this mechanism with the problem of quantum gravity.

If dichotomy is two side. Say the science of the very small ( quantum ) , is one side . And

The science of the very large is gravity and all the large scale structure of the Cosmos.

If we do as you say and transcend , or look from a higher vantage point . By the recconing you suggest we may be able to get a "perspective where both sides can be seen with a greater 'truth' or whole "

This thus invokes OBSERVATION , consciousness , intuition , life , . Us as conscious life .

Could this be what Prof Roger Penrose is speaking of " as a third area of science "

Link :-

Longer presentation for those wanting more depth link:

Could this be touching shoreline on a new island of scientific understanding ?

Mike