Horizon's Noisy Fusion

ed84c

Just watching the episode now; what do you think?

For those of you who dont know;

There is a way of making a bubble glow using just sound, the bubble once exposed to the sound waves expand and then collapse creating Immense heat. Enough heat for fusion to occur? Experiments so far appear optomistic.

Ill psot a link when i find one

Right well we know that fusion is not easily possible due to the iimmense energies required.

However this indian chap used a method of playing sound near a bubble in water. The right frequency allows the bubble to expand and the collapse catastrophically. The moluculese inside the bubble hit each other nd become incredibbley hot. Tens of thousands of degrees. He figured he could perform nuclear fusion like this.

However his trials proved succsesful, and Horizons did not. The little *ahem* decided he didnt want to help with the experiment and such it is possible horizon got the experiment sligjhtly wrong, as he took years to perfect it.

The horizon team used a different sound frequency. There were also other things said that make me believe they altered other parts of the experiment too, but that was unclear. I would expect that the frequency would be critical. I would also expect an unbiased scientific reproduction of an experiment to be an exact reproduction. Not like oo we don't have salt so we'll use flour cause its white.

The basic idea is that passing sound through the liquid causes the bubbles to first expand and then collapse. When the bubble collapses, the particles suspended in the center of the bubble in the form of vapour are smashed together and heat up. The dueterated acetone contains fusionable partcles and the experiment was set up to try and produce enough heat and pressure to cause fusion. The way to detect fusion is by detecting the neutron released as when the protons and neutrons are hammered together and fuse the new atom formed uses less neutrons. The problem is that neutron sources were used to create the bubbles and the sun is a neutron source also. So, any neutron detector will always see some neutrons in the experiment. The trick is to check for neutron release at the exact moment the light is produced. The light/neutron emission occurs over a nano second and the bubble expands and collapses many times a second so its not that easy.

I know this has already been said but I thought a simple explanation of what the thread is about would help other people like me.