Unexpected journey to science? Thoughts?

Miranda

What are your thougts on a person who never got to experience high school science/biology/chemistry/mathematics on beginning a journey to get her upgrading courses through adult basic education and starting on a college bsc degree in possibly biochemistry. I know, it's an odd question.

On one hand, I might put a lot of effort into trying science and discover it was not meant to be. The exiting part is though, I might try it and discover it's perfect for me, my thing, my 'niche' that I have yet to discover. If I have yet to discover it, why not science?

I don't know if I'll be any good at memorization. I know I'm good with concepts. I had 3 college semesters of Philosophy, my favorite courses was learning first order logic. The logic, with clearly defined right and wrong answers (something I've aways thought was parallel to math) was a wonderful break from the head spinning most other areas in Philosophy can put you through. Although I love Philosophy I doubt I would like to continue earning a degree in it.

As I said I never got to experience much science in high school, leaving in grade 9. My last shot at high school was returning after quitting the first time to try self-paced courses and finishing grade 9 math in a week. I loved it, was addicted, but it's simple math, simple algebra, I can't remember exactly. My point is that was the last time I got to experience anything close to what learning about science could be like and I remember loving it. My only fear is I may not just be cut out for science, cut out for memorizing. I'm certainly good with concepts, understanding the why so to speak. I know when I'm passionate about something it makes learning easier.

In order to begin this journey I would be required to get many upgrading courses through adult basic education before going back to college. The degree I have loosely planned (so I have a clear direction of something, even if it turns out down the road not be the end goal,) is a BSC in molecular biology and biochemistry. I learned a little about biology and chemistry through online education videos. Not much I know, but the idea of where biology could take me, and the way I felt intrigued by learning about basic chemistry, I thought biochemistry might be good to look into.

I guess what I'm looking for is, thoughts on a person like me starting on this journey? Bad idea? Good? What makes a scientist? A bioogist? A chemist? A biochemist? Who else started off on the path to science in a strange, unexpected way? And did it work out for you? Any help, advice, encouragment greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are there any taster courses you can do?

Or you could get hold of a text book and start working through it (bearing in mind that attending a class and having a teacher will probably be easier than study alone). I kind of did something similar in my twenties where I was looking for a change of direction (from admin). I got a high school level chemistry text book, and one on maths and studied them at home. It could be a good indicator of how much you'll enjoy it. I ended up going back to college to study maths and ended up working in software (which I enjoy). So it's not exactly your scenario but similar.

I think your attitude is the most important thing, and if you have a desire to learn which it sounds like you do, then why not go for it? Perhaps you just need to build your confidence a little?

Welcome to the technical community, Miranda.

You are worried about memorising things and unfortunately your chosen area biology/chemistry has much to memorise.

However those sciences are active doing sorts of science and most people find that repeated actions help them remember.

They more often they do something, the better they remember.

So lots of practice is in order.

Do you cook?

If so you have another advantage since cooking involves some suprisingly sophisticated chemistry and biology, although you make call the knowledge and skill by different names.

Interest is the most important bit. If you really want to know how certain things work and you have the drive and desire to invest a lot of time figuring that out, it is certainly something to look into. Read text books and see if it really captures your interest.

Note that having a science education does not necessarily fall in line with having a science career, though.

Memorizing is a non-issue. If you are interested you will build up concepts as you learn. Blind memorizing is only good for exams but not for getting a science education (which I believe is the primary goal here).