A question to all of you

Zeo

I was pondering to myself the other day, and it started to make me wonder.

What the heck is the 5th dimension?

I'm assuming it goes from:

Length

Width

Height

Time

???

In that order. Is it possible to have more than 4 dimensions? Am I out of my league? What about airline food? What's up with THAT!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

according to the string theory there are 11 existing dimensions, we are just not able to see/feel those. there are some complex maths examples in which it is not possible to solve the problem unless we take in fact that there are more than 4 dimensions, and then the problem is solvable; now i'm not sure of those examples but maybe someone else knows.. {sorry, i'm too lazy to press shift button :}

I was pondering to myself the other day' date=' and it started to make me wonder.

Length

Width

Height

Time

???

In that order. [b'] Is it possible to have more than 4 dimensions[/b]? Am I out of my league? What about airline food? What's up with THAT!!!

Is it possible to have only 4 dimensions?

Humans cannot imagine higher dimensions. Our sences, and minds are bound with 4D space. We can't even imagine 2 and 1D. What we think 2D is, like this what You see on Your computer, is really 4D too. Why? couse Your looking on it from a distance, which is one more dimention. 2D can't be imagined as a thin line, couse it has no thickness. If sb. try to imagine line with no thickness, he'll see nothing. So, we can only see how does the 4D looks like, and nothing more. Sad isn't it?

valid point; you cant see a dimension without being 1 above it. Is that what you meant?

Ofcourse the reprocussions of this mean that if you were in 4 spacial dimentions, you would be able to leave the universe as freely as jusmping a stepping stone.

any image that you draw is 2d(3 including time)

There is no such thing as existence in 2d.

Any image that is drawn exists in all dimensions, of which most scientists now count 4, including time.

When something is drawn, it must have thickness.

I imagine it as a spatial dimension which gives perspective to the first three, accessible from anyplace in the universe, but since it's all curled up and hiding in a Calibi-Yau orbifold, we can't properly conceive of it without senses to detect it.
What about airline food? What's up with THAT!!!
I imagine it as a cheap and non-nutritive attempt to calm potentially hysterical passengers.

Length

Width

Height

Time

???

I don't think it would even be possible to understand a fifth dimension. We exist in four dimensions, so wouldn't be able to understand or exist in a fifth one. It might not even be one of time or space, but some other incomprehensible, unimaginable, thing.

Are we 4-D or 3-D?

It depends on what you mean. If you are referring only to dimensions of space, as many people do, then we live in a 3 D world. If you are referring to dimensions of space and dimensions of time, as many people do, then there are 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time, which makes a total of 4 dimensions.

Current theory is that our species is aware of 4 dimensions, 3 of space and 1 of time. By aware, I mean that we have the sensory tools to detect 4 dimensions. Theorists postulate any number of extra dimensions, which cannot be detected by the senses (including through the use of tools).

Therefore, everything that exists in our world exists in (at least) 4 dimensions. As some people have noted, light can be an exception to this (such as shadows), but then light is not a thing but rather the enabler of awareness of things.

when did the distance between you and an object become a dimension of said object? any image that you draw is 2d(3 including time)

look, when You draw a circle, it's got lenght and width. But this is not 2D object. This is like shadow of it, a reflection in 3( or 4 if You like)D. Why? couse Your computer is 1 meter from Your pretty face. This one meter distance is one more dimention. To see how it really looks like You'd have to visit 2D space. and You can imagine 2D picture only when looking from a distance ( +1D !). Sences does not allow to imagine anything beyond 4D. However, when I was really drunk I thought I saw 6D objects, but later i found out that it was only a bottle