How to became moderator ?

Rajnish Kaushik

Can i became moderator?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can i became moderator?

If you ask to become a moderator you are automatically disbarred from holding the position. Try searching the forum for threads of this nature - we have had two in the last year or so. They always end up with the staff trying to plot their way out of Phi's hegomonistic rule

No, pretty much the exact opposite.

You want people to moderate who do not want the position for the relative power and prestige it gives them. Hence, asking to become a moderator is a sure way not to become a moderator.

From what I can tell you are still young, so maybe in the future. Anyone can change, whether they do or don't is up to them however.

Edited by Endy0816

New moderators are chosen by current staff, and the decision is based on how the person has behaved over time. People that are able to communicate well, show restraint when provoked and have shown respect for the rules. Things like that.

Someone who has had multiple clashes with the moderators, calls them idiots and tells them to "g t h" isn't going to qualify. Does that answer your question?

Why do you want to be one?

You think we have a choice?

Seriously - I have seen good fora go down the drain because without regular and precise moderation the scum of the internet take over; imagine your hometown without police, no sewage system, rubbish collectors permanently on strike, and where the high street changes location every five minutes. How long would our knowledgeable members stick around if they had to wade through the mire of a un-moderated forum? I like scienceforums.net - and thus I do a little bit to keep it the way I like it. I suppose it is the same reason that volunteers everywhere spend a little of their time to promote, maintain, and foster something they feel is important. And there are the cattle-prods but don't tell anyone I said that

Seriously - I have seen good fora go down the drain because without regular and precise moderation the scum of the internet take over; imagine your hometown without police, no sewage system, rubbish collectors permanently on strike, and where the high street changes location every five minutes. How long would our knowledgeable members stick around if they had to wade through the mire of a un-moderated forum? I like scienceforums.net - and thus I do a little bit to keep it the way I like it. I suppose it is the same reason that volunteers everywhere spend a little of their time to promote, maintain, and foster something they feel is important. And there are the cattle-prods but don't tell anyone I said that

Same here. I enjoy the site and am willing to expend some effort to make sure the discussions don't degrade to the lowest-common-denominator standard found on many sites.

Sounds like a libertarians wet dream!

… and no kleenex.

Kudos (and rep point) for the use of the correct plural of forum.

I can't understand why someone who doesn't think the rules are a good idea (based on how often he breaks them) could want the job of enforcing them.

If you ask to become a moderator you are automatically disbarred from holding the position. Try searching the forum for threads of this nature - we have had two in the last year or so. They always end up with the staff trying to plot their way out of Phi's hegomonistic rule

"Come with me, if you want to discuss science!" --The Hegemonator

Unfortunately, if someone WANTS to be a moderator, we have to assume they're deranged in some way. Our process is usually to find someone worthy, and then blackmail them into serving. imatfaal, for instance, doesn't want anyone knowing that he wears false eyebrows. Of course, I have a lot more on him than that, so he's not off the hook yet.

Of course, if anyone could catch us a snipe, it might impress the staff in your favor....