Interesting debatable topics in conservation biology

Hey everyone, I'm looking for debatable topics on conservation biology. For example, "The effects of auto gas emissions on global climate change." The only criteria are that the topic must be debatable (i.e. not a one-sided fact, like "how hunting bears decreases their population," this probably wouldn't spark discussion or require critical thinking) and it must somehow relate to conservation biology.

This is for a paper I'm writing, I'm just looking for suggestions or inspiration for choosing a topic and any relevant information you might want to share.

Right now, I think that this might be a really good/ interesting question: "Is the introduction non-indigenous species an affective method of pest control?"

This would be an example of why it's not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_Day_Out
This page lists examples of successful "importation" (species introduction) events: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_pest_control#Importation

Let me know what you think of this topic and if you have any relevant articles or other interesting suggestions or information you want to share, thank you!

Edited by Twinbird24

I don't think it is non-controversial that hunting bears decreases their population. In fact, controlled hunting can lead to protection of a species.

How about:

1) Are Genetically Modified Crops good for the environment? I'd say yes.

2) Should we hold back development for the sake of saving a single species? For example, consider the Delta Smelt in California.

Bear hunting (or just hunting in general) can be a very controversial topic, I was just trying to come up with some kind of example of something that is not very debatable but I guess that wasn't really a good example then :P

I really like all those topics you suggested, I'd honestly like to write about all of them! No. 1 seems really interesting though, I think I will switch my topic to GM foods and their environmental impact, from a quick Google search I've already found a few good articles, this topic could definitely make for some interesting debate :)

Thank you for the reply!