Magnet and iron rod

no frictionless surface then............

I didn't say "frictionless," I said "low friction." Would you not be standing on a floor? Would the items not have been placed on a table? Do you have any critical thinking skills of your own, or do you expect us to spoon feed every answer to you one by one?

I didn't say "frictionless," I said "low friction." Would you not be standing on a floor? Would the items not have been placed on a table? Do you have any critical thinking skills of your own, or do you expect us to spoon feed every answer to you one by one?

i already know the answer

and if you are on a rough surface

and if you are on a rough surface

This sentence appears to be missing a THEN clause... Did you wish to finish your thought, or would you rather leave this as an orphaned and broken sentence in its current form?

This sentence appears to be missing a THEN clause... Did you wish to finish your thought, or would you rather leave this as an orphaned and broken sentence in its current form?

To be fair, I don't think that's what it's missing, you could include the "Then" clause...

As simple as it is.....distinguish them through the center of each specimen or break to identify

As simple as it is.....distinguish them through the center of each specimen or break to identify

It’s called aposiopesis.

To be fair, I don't think that's what it's missing, you could include the "Then" clause...

the answer is in the second post

Can we be a bit spherical cow in a frictionless vacuum about this question please - by which I mean lets not introduce extraneous extras till the original question has been answered to the satisfaction of all concerned. And if the OP has seen the answer that he believes is correct could he mention it explicitly - I have seen one of the answers of those that I believe are correct; I have also seen the canonical answer of the original differing question from Martin Gardner's book (which in this case is not the correct one)

You have two iron rods one is magnetized - how can you tell which. You have no other equipment - all you can do is manipulate the rods.

Breaking the bars in half seems like a long shot. But suppose if you whacked both of the bars until one chips a sizeable piece. If the piece, when put back on, falls off then that is the iron rod. If it sticks, that it is the magnet.

If you're still skeptical, it might be possible to do a body test. There is iron in blood, yes? Take both rods onto your palms and wait a while. If you see a difference in redness then the reddest would most likely be the palm holding the magnet. Then reduce the variables by switching the rods between palms and try and replicate the results. If the palming holding the now suspected magnet has a greater color of red than the other, I'm sure you have found the magnet.

Breaking the bars in half seems like a long shot. But suppose if you whacked both of the bars until one chips a sizeable piece. If the piece, when put back on, falls off then that is the iron rod. If it sticks, that it is the magnet.

If you're still skeptical, it might be possible to do a body test. There is iron in blood, yes? Take both rods onto your palms and wait a while. If you see a difference in redness then the reddest would most likely be the palm holding the magnet. Then reduce the variables by switching the rods between palms and try and replicate the results. If the palming holding the now suspected magnet has a greater color of red than the other, I'm sure you have found the magnet.

If you whack a magnet enough you end up with an iron rod! Percussion will demagnetize an iron rod. This may make one of the answers I have heard given a little obvious.

Not sure the second idea could ever work - the actual amount of iron is pretty tiny. I think about a third of blood by weight is haemoglobin of some sort and about one percent of haemoglobin is iron.

Why do people think hemoglobin is significantly magnetic?

I think that the feeling is that all iron in whatever form is intensely magnetic and everyone knows there is iron in blood because of the publicity regarding anaemia