Terrorism at Sochi Olympics

Amaton

With all the recent news of terrorist threats, I'm thinking back to London 2012, Canada 2010, and China 2008.

Why did it seem like these events never had so much of an issue with security? Was I just unaware of pre-game news for these places, or are there particular reasons that Sochi, Russia is a target? I'm thinking it has to do more with Russia itself?

The London Olympics were seen as a major potential terrorist target. Frankly, I was amazed (and delighted) that no act of terrorism occurred. One may reasonably attribute this to all aspects of security implemented for the event. This included, for example, surface to air missile batteries mounted on apartment blocks and a couple of naval vessels anchored in the Thames.

The London Olympics were seen as a major potential terrorist target. Frankly, I was amazed (and delighted) that no act of terrorism occurred. One may reasonably attribute this to all aspects of security implemented for the event. This included, for example, surface to air missile batteries mounted on apartment blocks and a couple of naval vessels anchored in the Thames.

Frankly I was more scared of the legions of fanatically friendly and horrendously helpful purple clad volunteers. The security was long-term and (group 4 aside) well planned - I cycled past the main park and arena twice a day and was amazed at the efficiency of almost every level of organisation. It was indeed a major target - and I thank Darwin that no one was able to breach the security; I wonder if we will ever find out if anyone tried?

Frankly I was more scared of the legions of fanatically friendly and horrendously helpful purple clad volunteers. The security was long-term and (group 4 aside) well planned - I cycled past the main park and arena twice a day and was amazed at the efficiency of almost every level of organisation. It was indeed a major target - and I thank Darwin that no one was able to breach the security; I wonder if we will ever find out if anyone tried?

I don't remember any specific news about Muslim extremists against London as there is now with Russia. I'm sure there was at least one plan plotted against the events, especially with something as big as London. If one was attempted, then it never came to fruition. All it takes is just a single lunatic, like in Atlanta, but Russia is already threatened by organized terrorism.

I don't remember any specific news about Muslim extremists against London as there is now with Russia. I'm sure there was at least one plan plotted against the events, especially with something as big as London. If one was attempted, then it never came to fruition. All it takes is just a single lunatic, like in Atlanta, but Russia is already threatened by organized terrorism.

Since the Islamic extremist bombings in London on 7th July the UK security forces have forestalled several comparable Islamic terrorist plots. I am not sure why you think the UK is free of organised terrorism. Could you explain?