Why I detest fundamentalist exclusive religious dogma or any exclusive cultist belief

Alan McDougall

I know Muslims who take the Quran literally in extreme exactitude that disagree with you.

People interpret the Quran as it fits them...

It's a fact that there are many verses in the Quran that call Muslims to war with nonbelievers.

Edited by Itoero

People interpret the Quran as it fits them...

It's a fact that there are many verses in the Quran that call Muslims to war with nonbelievers.

Of course they do. Only a tiny minority interprets the calls for violence the way ISIS does.

And as with the equivalent verses in bible, most people either ignore them or take them to be metaphorical.

The Bible is a collection of divine inspired writings by many different authors while the Quran is supposed to be God talking directly to man (Muhammad wrote down God's words in the Quran).

This makes I think the bible to be more prone to ignore and interpret verses.

The Bible is a collection of divine inspired writings by many different authors while the Quran is supposed to be God talking directly to man (Muhammad wrote down God's words in the Quran).

People interpret both books exactly the same way, according to their motivations; good people see the good and angry, disenfranchised, desperate people see the bad because they can't think of another way.

The Quran is written in Classical Arabic, rich in poetry and metaphor (and no vowels :))) and so is very open to interpretation.

The Quran is written in Classical Arabic, rich in poetry and metaphor (and no vowels :))) and so is very open to interpretation.

ok, but I mean the Quran is less open for interpretation because if you do then you are changing God's words.

If you interpret bible verses then you are changing the words of people which are inspired by God...and not the words of God.

The Quran is also a dictation...in the first person.

The bible is more customer-friendly :)

ok, but I mean the Quran is less open for interpretation because if you do then you are changing God's words.

If you interpret bible verses then you are changing the words of people which are inspired by God...and not the words of God.

Interpretation does not require you to change the words. That would be editing.

Also, many people consider the Bible to be the word of God. (And their interpretations of it still vary.)

Fifteen or so years ago I was living in Togo & had to have an operation (most unpleasant - spinal anaesthetic - legs paralysed for three days etc.).

I later found out that, while I was in hospital, the local Mosque had been saying prayers for me every day (I knew just one man who went there.) What did the Christian churches do? Exactly what you would expect - bugger all.

(I've never had a Moslem try to convert me or preach at me in any way. Bloody Christians never shut up.)

I'm sure we can all agree that there are good and bad people who are christian or muslims or whatever. The pertinent question is whether an ideology makes for a more intolerant/violent society. Again, i'm sure we all agree ISIS is an abomination to humanity, but does Islam encourage this type of ideology more than other religions? I think not compared to other monotheistic faiths, but it is difficult to tell. However, someone should not be labelled a bigot just for asking the question and seeking data, which does occur under the guise of 'intolerant of intolerance', as has happened to Sam Harris for instance.

Fifteen or so years ago I was living in Togo & had to have an operation (most unpleasant - spinal anaesthetic - legs paralysed for three days etc.).

I later found out that, while I was in hospital, the local Mosque had been saying prayers for me every day (I knew just one man who went there.) What did the Christian churches do? Exactly what you would expect - bugger all.

(I've never had a Moslem try to convert me or preach at me in any way. Bloody Christians never shut up.)

You are both lying and talking a lot of nonsense. If Christians had known about you, they would have prayed for your recovery However, not being psychic or telephonic you simply did not register on them to pray for you. Do you know the term Bugger is a filthy word meaning sodomy or anal sex, be more careful in future before posting utter nonsense. Muslims are no better than Christians and their religion originated in the mind of a mad delusional evil illiterate war lord, who by just one example had 600 Jews murdered just because they would not convert to Islam by denying their faith.

Nowhere in the New Testament does it tell the readers to kill those who leave their faith or convert under the threat of death or chop off peoples heads or it was OK to rape a woman. While it is true so called Christians also do these things, they are not commanded by their teachings or faith to carry out such despicable acts on other people.

Comment removed by moderator

Edited by swansont

!

Moderator Note

Some particularly hateful commentary was removed from Alan MacDougall's post. if you can't post without impugning the deity of some other's religion, don't post at all. "Keep it friendly and polite" indeed

(BTW, "bugger all" is a term meaning "nothing")

You are both lying and talking a lot of nonsense.

!

Moderator Note

Not too fond of accusations of lying, either.

!

Moderator Note

Some particularly hateful commentary was removed from Alan MacDougall's post. if you can't post without impugning the deity of some other's religion, don't post at all. "Keep it friendly and polite" indeed

(BTW, "bugger all" is a term meaning "nothing")

!

Moderator Note

Not too fond of accusations of lying, either.

I was voicing my opinion, it was not meant as a statement of fact, but carry on moderating the forum to death?

I was voicing my opinion, it was not meant as a statement of fact, but carry on moderating the forum to death?

!

Moderator Note

Don't care, doesn't matter, and maybe you should ask for your money back.

Don't respond to the modnotes.

That doesn't make that sort of hate speech OK.

!

Moderator Note

Precisely

That doesn't make that sort of hate speech OK.

It is not hate speech just a statement of fact. Do I want to to perpetuate of hate, murder, rape, violence decapitation. Not me who would not hurt even a little bird r But these ISIS fundamental Islamic monsters want to violently convert the whole world to ISLAM. Why do you people keep making excused for these ISIS beasts that are worse than Hitlers Nazi hordes?

It is not hate speech just a statement of fact. Do I want to to perpetuate of hate, murder, rape, violence decapitation. Not me who would not hurt even a little bird r But these ISIS fundamental Islamic monsters want to violently convert the whole world to ISLAM. Why do you people keep making excused for these ISIS beasts that are worse than Hitlers Nazi hordes?

Hitler was very much a Christian:

"I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator.

By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord's work."

[Adolph Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936]

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance

with the will of the Almighty Creator."

[Adolph Hitler, _Mein Kampf_, pp. 46]

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so"

[Adolph Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941]

"Even today I am not ashamed to say that, overpowered by stormy enthusiasm,

I fell down on my knees and thanked Heaven from an overflowing heart for

granting me the good fortune of being permitted to live at this time."

[Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", Vol. 1, Chapter 5]

And many, many more.

Edited by Manticore

Throughout my Life I have tried to believe in GOD and Science !

When I say GOD I mean the All Powerful Almighty Super Power. If we believe in such a Possibility that GOD is the Cause and Enabler of Everything where 'Everything' stands for the Entire Universe.

By 'Science' I refer to the Logical and Provable Methods & Understanding of the Entire Universe and all Laws and Rules and Events.

Such being the Enormity of GOD we Humans who are mere Mortals have NO RIGHT TO SPECULATE , CREATE or PONTIFICATE about our Individual or Collective Understanding of GOD or any Religion invoking Beliefs about Past, Current or Future Events or Occurrences !

MAN can not Create GOD but GOD has caused Creation of MAN and the Universe. This must be accepted before we proceed further or else there is no Possibility of Existence of a GOD - at least the kind I have alluded to above !

Therefore it is SAD & FRIVOLOUS for Humanity to Fight over GOD and Religions !

We must seek to find and understand the Religion which is created by GOD and perhaps Science is the ONLY PATH TOWARDS GOD !

Throughout my Life I have tried to believe in GOD and Science !

When I say GOD I mean the All Powerful Almighty Super Power. If we believe in such a Possibility that GOD is the Cause and Enabler of Everything where 'Everything' stands for the Entire Universe.

By 'Science' I refer to the Logical and Provable Methods & Understanding of the Entire Universe and all Laws and Rules and Events.

Such being the Enormity of GOD we Humans who are mere Mortals have NO RIGHT TO SPECULATE , CREATE or PONTIFICATE about our Individual or Collective Understanding of GOD or any Religion invoking Beliefs about Past, Current or Future Events or Occurrences !

MAN can not Create GOD but GOD has caused Creation of MAN and the Universe. This must be accepted before we proceed further or else there is no Possibility of Existence of a GOD - at least the kind I have alluded to above !

Therefore it is SAD & FRIVOLOUS for Humanity to Fight over GOD and Religions !

We must seek to find and understand the Religion which is created by GOD and perhaps Science is the ONLY PATH TOWARDS GOD !

Problem: I do not accept this, so we cannot proceed further.

This part sounds like "You have to unequivocally accept that an all-powerful God created everything or else He can't exist!" Is this correct?