Conciouss but dead?....

I remember watching a show, and reading online, an article that stated that a woman needed surgery that asked for most of her blood to be removed from the body (probably a heart replacement or something), which then sent her into temporary death (quite literally, her body temperature was around 70 or 80 degrees fahrenheit).

So one would think that she wouldn't remember any of it (by the way, the surgery was successful and she is still alive today). But, she states that she was in a concious state outside of her body. She said that she was in the corner of the room, watching down on her body, and not really caring about it. She said she felt completely at peace. When she was resurected, she could recall many of the conversations the doctors had when she was dead, and they were correct.

Kind of erie to think that we exist outside of our body, as well as our memories, eh?

and what religon you are.... some people could believe that she was posesed and learned the conversations through that or some could believe it was an out of body experience.. what about all them super-scientific ppl with explenations.. the whole thing could be a hoax.. lets let a bunch of people post and we'll find out

I am more than a little dubious about these "out of body" experiences.

Until she had one.

She and dad were at our club, having dinner. Mom had a heart attack and passed out cold. Fortunately there were several doctors there that night. They gave her CPR until the paramedics got there and took her to the hospital. Mom described everything that happened, she said she was floating above her body. When one doctor tried to help she remembers thinking that she didn't want him to work on her, because he had been drinking - a lot. She described some of the other people there getting the drunk guy away from the scene. I guess some things she could have heard and imagined what was visually happening, but her description was extraordinarily close to what happened.

Until she had one.

She and dad were at our club' date=' having dinner. Mom had a heart attack and passed out cold. Fortunately there were several doctors there that night. They gave her CPR until the paramedics got there and took her to the hospital. Mom described everything that happened, she said she was floating above her body. When one doctor tried to help she remembers thinking that she didn't want him to work on her, because he had been drinking - a lot. She described some of the other people there getting the drunk guy away from the scene. I guess some things she could have heard and imagined what was visually happening, but her description was extraordinarily close to what happened.[/quote']

Forevermore...... :confused:

Well I myself am buddist. I do believe that they deffinately would have had to have had an out of body experience to be able to tell what happened. I find it hard to believe that someone would be able to come up with full conversations and such just a few hours after they had a heart transplant and were 'resurected'. I'll try and find the article.

My own take is that so many of these experiences have been recorded that they cannot be discounted as actual experiences. They can be analysed. Wouldn't this Near Death Experience fall under the category of dissociative experience?

To me, since we cannot really know for certain what these folks are experiencing, it makes sense to analyse the people who have them. What are these people like? What have been their previous experiences with dissociation, if any?

This I do know, once someone has had a sort of dissociative experience, they are more likely to have another. It as if the brain has traveled that pathway before and is ready to go there again.

I think it would be worth surveying believers and non-believers concerning these experiences (or not) and seeing if there is a difference.

Are you referring to "The Raven" ? Please elaborate???

No. It is just an old hillbilly's expression, passed on to me by my old paternal grandmother.

It indicates a state of gabberflastation. :D

It is a way of saying "that be a pure wonderment."

:)

• 3 weeks later...

My friend's father had an out of body experience. He was legally dead for two minutes, and something happened (I dont remember exactly how it happened) and he came back to life, and he could recall everything that the EMT's had said.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember watching a show' date=' and reading online, an article that stated that a woman needed surgery that asked for most of her blood to be removed from the body (probably a heart replacement or something), which then sent her into temporary death (quite literally, her body temperature was around 70 or 80 degrees fahrenheit).

So one would think that she wouldn't remember any of it (by the way, the surgery was successful and she is still alive today). But, she states that she was in a concious state outside of her body. She said that she was in the corner of the room, watching down on her body, and not really caring about it. She said she felt completely at peace. When she was resurected, she could recall many of the conversations the doctors had when she was dead, and they were correct.

Kind of erie to think that we exist outside of our body, as well as our memories, eh?[/quote']

If you wish to think that you are not you, I suppose you can also think that you can exist outside of your body, you can also go ahead and think that you can exist out of existence or any other play of words you can think of that tickles your fancy. How does the you that is not in your body communicate with your body? I suppose it is easy to respond that trough soul talk or any other unscientific explanation that occurs to you.

For my part I am comvinced that my body and I are one and the same thing. No dualisms for me.

Pau