I can virtually 'transform myself into OTHER PEOPLE' merely by focusing on the image of a persons face??

I find that if I visualise a face with enough concentration, there comes a point where, independent of my concious movement, my body starts to ASSUME the mannerisms of the person who's face Im thinking about? What is going on?

And not only that.

Everything I do, while simultaneous focusing on the mental image of that face, will be done exactly the way that person would do it, without me trying to consciously imitate him! how does this happen? its like I can actually transform into other people merely by thinking about them!

For example, say my friend stella has a unique way of laughing and talking. Now when I close my eyes, visualise her face strongly...and just 'laugh', my laugh comes ouit EXACTLY AS SHE WOULD LAUGH! im not CONCIOUSLy trying to laugh like her, it just happens! what is going on in my brain to make this possible??

Do other people notice this - try some blinded tests. record yourself doing stella's laugh and ask friends who is laughing (not does it sound like stella). Then, if you can get a good percentage of hits with various people, might be something that might be worth investigating properly. Until then I think it is more than likely your own mind playing tricks on you

to be frank it is not possible and is merely your imagination that u r impersonating some one else , my daignosis to my anime and sitcoms.

u are trying to live someone elses life .

assuming it is possible how do u know the u are that person , u can mimic his actions and voices but the main thershold here is the mental state , u might have a much stronger mental state then a common person but this is not possible .

Can you do it with famous people? Impersonators can make some big bucks.

"Baby, it's just you I'm thinkin' of." [/being in the building]

As imatfaal asks, how much of this is corroborated by others? Does Stella think you can laugh "exactly as she would laugh"? Also, I don't see how you can say you're not doing it consciously if you're concentrating on visualizing faces before you laugh or otherwise "act" like that person. It seems like a very conscious act that you've fooled yourself into thinking is involuntary.

It actually sounds like an awesome ability for an actor to have. Can you visualize someone you've never actually met, someone who doesn't really exist (except perhaps as a character in a movie or play), imagine how they would laugh, talk, walk, and react to various situations and dialogue? This is what a lot of actors do to prepare for playing a part in a show.

There are mirror neurons which are designed to allow a degree of mimicry. Generally heightened cases are associated with some sort of disorder(and are done without explicit awareness) but you could have just lucked out. Do get a second opinion before going too far down the self-diagnosis route.

I find that if I visualise a face with enough concentration, there comes a point where, independent of my concious movement, my body starts to ASSUME the mannerisms of the person who's face Im thinking about? What is going on?
And not only that.
Everything I do, while simultaneous focusing on the mental image of that face, will be done exactly the way that person would do it, without me trying to consciously imitate him! how does this happen? its like I can actually transform into other people merely by thinking about them!
For example, say my friend stella has a unique way of laughing and talking. Now when I close my eyes, visualise her face strongly...and just 'laugh', my laugh comes ouit EXACTLY AS SHE WOULD LAUGH! im not CONCIOUSLy trying to laugh like her, it just happens! what is going on in my brain to make this possible??

I find that claim hard to believe, it smacks of the supernatural, to morph into someone else , you need more than the image of their face and outer mannerisms , you would need to get inside their brains and copy all of their thoughts and memories into your own , impossible I say!

Do other people notice this - try some blinded tests. record yourself doing stella's laugh and ask friends who is laughing (not does it sound like stella). Then, if you can get a good percentage of hits with various people, might be something that might be worth investigating properly. Until then I think it is more than likely your own mind playing tricks on you

NO IT ISNT! Bro, I once recorded myself on camera, doing a quirky friend I knew! And when I 'get into the character,' Im not conciously aware, but I FEEL the muscles in my face changing shape to fit the expressions, mannerisms of laughing etc...YOU THINK I THE ONLY ONE?? and I COULD MAKE MONEY doing this? OK, what if I showed you guys my video?

It actually sounds like an awesome ability for an actor to have. Can you visualize someone you've never actually met, someone who doesn't really exist (except perhaps as a character in a movie or play), imagine how they would laugh, talk, walk, and react to various situations and dialogue? This is what a lot of actors do to prepare for playing a part in a show.

actually I CAN! its like if I just visualise a random face, my body starts doing things I unconciously would probably think that guy did. Its hard to explain, buty please may I do a video and show you guys? If you think I can make money doing this OMG Im made!

Edited by NeuroCurio

NO IT ISNT! Bro, I once recorded myself on camera, doing a quirky friend I knew! And when I 'get into the character,' Im not conciously aware, but I FEEL the muscles in my face changing shape to fit the expressions, mannerisms of laughing etc...YOU THINK I THE ONLY ONE?? and I COULD MAKE MONEY doing this? OK, what if I showed you guys my video?

actually I CAN! its like if I just visualise a random face, my body starts doing things I unconciously would probably think that guy did. Its hard to explain, buty please may I do a video and show you guys? If you think I can make money doing this OMG Im made!

It is not a crime to be wacko luckily for you!

As imatfaal asks, how much of this is corroborated by others? Does Stella think you can laugh "exactly as she would laugh"? Also, I don't see how you can say you're not doing it consciously if you're concentrating on visualizing faces before you laugh or otherwise "act" like that person. It seems like a very conscious act that you've fooled yourself into thinking is involuntary.

sigh. Let me be a little clearer, so the comments implying im a nutcase will stop. I really want a serious discussion on this.

Say I am talking. Talking about anything. Now, simultaneously while speaking, I start focusing very hard on the Mental image of a FACE. And then automatically, my verbal speed, my intonation, even tone of voice, facial expression, BECOMES EXACTLY what that person in my mind would talk like! I dont CONCIOUSLY mimic, I ONLY concern myself with focusing on his face, and let my body kinda like TURN ME INTO him. I end up talking, walking, acting exactly like him, as longa s Im focussing on the face. As soon as I stop, the 'character' stops and I start talking like myself again.

And I do things that I dont even conciously remember the person doing, like maybe an insignificant flick of her hand she uses as an unconcious gesture: i ONLY remember "oh yeah, she does that' when that gesture comes flowing out of ME.

Please dont believe me now; ill give you proof. A video, whatever.

sigh. Let me be a little clearer, so the comments implying im a nutcase will stop. I really want a serious discussion on this.

Say I am talking. Talking about anything. Now, simultaneously while speaking, I start focusing very hard on the Mental image of a FACE. And then automatically, my verbal speed, my intonation, even tone of voice, facial expression, BECOMES EXACTLY what that person in my mind would talk like! I dont CONCIOUSLY mimic, I ONLY concern myself with focusing on his face, and let my body kinda like TURN ME INTO him. I end up talking, walking, acting exactly like him, as longa s Im focussing on the face. As soon as I stop, the 'character' stops and I start talking like myself again.

And I do things that I dont even conciously remember the person doing, like maybe an insignificant flick of her hand she uses as an unconcious gesture: i ONLY remember "oh yeah, she does that' when that gesture comes flowing out of ME.

Give us a link to your video and then we can decide if you are wacko or not?

You do impressions, then. So what? Not sure what the big deal is, nor what your question really is.

On another note:

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.

It is not a crime to be wacko luckily for you!

Give us a link to your video and then we can decide if you are wacko or not?

Please, attack the argument and not the person.

Any comments attacking you as an individual, rather than your claim, are going to stop, per the rules everyone agrees to when they join. I know other staff members who will insure this.

First, this is a science discussion forum. No one is "implying" anything. Even the personal attacks were very straightforward in what they said, so please take what people say here at face value, good or bad. Do NOT try to read anything more into anyone's reply than what they post.

Second, please be aware that the mind is notoriously untrustworthy when it comes to what is done consciously and unconsciously. Outside the autonomic systems, very little is done completely unconsciously; there are usually lots of stimuli we're unaware we're reacting to.

All that said, as long as you're not stating that your transformations are physiological, it sounds like you could simply be an excellent mimic. I can't rely on your subjective assessment of your internal mental process, at least as far as how much you're doing this unconsciously, but there's really no need to reach for some supernatural explanation. What you describe is a version of the Stanislavski method of acting, drawing on personal memories and sensory input.

Many great actors start out as mimics, learning foreign accents, language patterns and mannerisms. Eventually, you can get so good at it that you can make up a character you don't know, or one that is fictitious. Out of a million Hamlets, yours would be unique.

I'd like to see a video of you doing this with someone most of us would recognize, a celebrity perhaps. We wouldn't know how accurate your imitation of Stella is.

I used to do this too, except with Shakira because I have a pretty husky voice, not like hers in any way

But now, after much practice and concentration, I can sound like her with little or almost no effort (not perfect, but like Shakira when she's having a bad day)

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT

AND IF I CAN MAKE MONEY SOUNDING LIKE SHAKIRA...

WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!

I used to do this too, except with Shakira because I have a pretty husky voice, not like hers in any way

But now, after much practice and concentration, I can sound like her with little or almost no effort (not perfect, but like Shakira when she's having a bad day)

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT

AND IF I CAN MAKE MONEY SOUNDING LIKE SHAKIRA...

WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!

You state that "anything is possible if you put your mind to it" Really, then turn yourself into an elephant!

Or is your ability restricted to the human species?

Second, please be aware that the mind is notoriously untrustworthy when it comes to what is done consciously and unconsciously. Outside the autonomic systems, very little is done completely unconsciously; there are usually lots of stimuli we're unaware we're reacting to.

All that said, as long as you're not stating that your transformations are physiological, it sounds like you could simply be an excellent mimic. I can't rely on your subjective assessment of your internal mental process, at least as far as how much you're doing this unconsciously, but there's really no need to reach for some supernatural explanation. What you describe is a version of the Stanislavski method of acting, drawing on personal memories and sensory input.

Dude..its very simple, ive TRIED imitating the person conciously, but i notice that I cant do it as accurately than when it comes unconciously out of me!! Also, I KNOW im not doing it conciously because ALL my concious focus is focusede on SEEING the image of the person in my mind, and I would KNOW if I even moved a finger conciously! Why would I wnat to decieve myself? I tell you, everything that 'fows out' of me happens automatically! ill do, now, a celeb imprssion, post it here.

Also, MIMICRY is different; mimics CONSCIOUSLY imitate! THEy are the ones behind the differing positions of their muscles! I dont!

Dude..its very simple, ive TRIED imitating the person conciously, but i notice that I cant do it as accurately than when it comes unconciously out of me!! Also, I KNOW im not doing it conciously because ALL my concious focus is focusede on SEEING the image of the person in my mind, and I would KNOW if I even moved a finger conciously! Why would I wnat to decieve myself? I tell you, everything that 'fows out' of me happens automatically! ill do, now, a celeb imprssion, post it here.

Also, MIMICRY is different; mimics CONSCIOUSLY imitate! THEy are the ones behind the differing positions of their muscles! I dont!

I think that's just your talent finding its "zone", that place where you seem to be doing things without conscious thought, but in reality it's just that easy for you to slip into the zone where mimicry is practically automatic. The baseball pitcher doesn't think about every single move he's making when he decides to start his pitch; it seems like he's on auto-pilot, but it's not completely unconscious. He's just gotten so good at what he does that he makes it look like he doesn't have to think about it.

Consciously, you can only handle a few bits of information per second; the subconscious picks up over four million bits per second. Personally, I don't believe the subconscious is truly unconscious. When someone sticks out their hand to shake yours, some say that if your hand comes up automatically in reaction that it's an unconscious act, but I think it's just conditioned response. I also think conditioned response is what makes you so good at what you do. It seems like a transformation to you, rather than mimicry, because you're internalizing the whole thing.

I got an opportunity to do an acting workshop with the late, great Cliff Osmond in my younger days. He could do what you describe, effortlessly moving from character to character, making it all seem like an unconscious act. His range was incredible, and though he was mostly known for dramatic roles, his comedic timing was awesome. Sasha Baron Cohen is even better; some of his characters are so completely different from each other that I often don't realize who I'm looking at. He also makes it look effortless.

I'm not trying to diminish what you do. I'm just trying to give you some perspective, because you seem like you're looking for an explanation that defies reality, but I can assure you this is nothing supernatural. It's still special and cool, though.

Your spelling needs some serious practice! If English is not you home language, then it is excusable.

We are all still waiting for your video which you said would prove your claim!

Edited by Alan McDougall

I think that's just your talent finding its "zone", that place where you seem to be doing things without conscious thought, but in reality it's just that easy for you to slip into the zone where mimicry is practically automatic. The baseball pitcher doesn't think about every single move he's making when he decides to start his pitch; it seems like he's on auto-pilot, but it's not completely unconscious. He's just gotten so good at what he does that he makes it look like he doesn't have to think about it.

Consciously, you can only handle a few bits of information per second; the subconscious picks up over four million bits per second. Personally, I don't believe the subconscious is truly unconscious. When someone sticks out their hand to shake yours, some say that if your hand comes up automatically in reaction that it's an unconscious act, but I think it's just conditioned response. I also think conditioned response is what makes you so good at what you do. It seems like a transformation to you, rather than mimicry, because you're internalizing the whole thing.

I got an opportunity to do an acting workshop with the late, great Cliff Osmond in my younger days. He could do what you describe, effortlessly moving from character to character, making it all seem like an unconscious act. His range was incredible, and though he was mostly known for dramatic roles, his comedic timing was awesome. Sasha Baron Cohen is even better; some of his characters are so completely different from each other that I often don't realize who I'm looking at. He also makes it look effortless.

I'm not trying to diminish what you do. I'm just trying to give you some perspective, because you seem like you're looking for an explanation that defies reality, but I can assure you this is nothing supernatural. It's still special and cool, though.

\ive already gone over what you suggest; however, take this into account: for a response to be CONDITIONED, i must ahev at some point PRACTICED that response. Right? For instance, say Im conditioning myself to mimic somebody, you could only use the word 'conditioned' there in the context that, after hours of practice, I can switch into that character on autopilot. BUT.

In my case, REGARDLESS of the character, I still effortlessly mimic that person! I mean like, you can show me a face Ive NEVER 'characterised' before, and as soon as I start focussing, that persons gestures would flow out of me! There is no conditioning here, because Ive NEVER practiced imitating that person.

Sometimes I even 'let the guy flow' out of me, and afterwards I remember I did subtle gestures that I never even noticed in him/her, but when I did it, I was ilke 'oh yeah, i remember taht guy doing that'. How could I mimic gestures I didnt even realise he did if the mimicry was concious?

And if your suggestion that thats 'my talent finding its zone', then that opens up the question: my talent AUTOMATICALLY imitates people, without my conciously prodding it to do so? In most mimics, their 'talent' refers to their ability to SWITCH roles between characters they have, over hours of CONSCIOUS practice,emulated. The switching is then easy. But they had to consciously mimic to begin with, which I dont do.

But thanks for your feedback, it opened up scope for a very interesting discussion

Edited by NeuroCurio

YOu haven't answered this

well no i havent, in fact this is the only time I posted this on a forum. and fomr the collage of mystified responses effected by my query, i think id be safe to deduce that most of the posters were unable to do it themselves, hence the confusion/mystification. so taking you as a small rep of the general public i.e humanity, id say chances are most of them cant do it.

Edited by NeuroCurio

• 2 years later...

so back to this topic after two years; I think i figured out my secret of tranforming into people. My subconicou stores information about the gestures, mannerisms of that person, and my conciously focusing on that persons face DRAWS OUT THE SAID MANNERISMS from my subconcious into the concious plane of movement causing e to virtual become the embodinment of that persons gestures, etc.