photo's for all

Newtonian

Just a suggestion,but would members here consider having their own photographs as avatars.Or a section were people voluntarily post their photo.

I ask this because Sandi,Bettina,Yt2095 etc have.I find it will be of benefit to our group to actually see the other person who posts(one big happy family and certainly unique in respect of other science forums,)instead of just typo.

I think people would be less aggresive to each other,when they see a familiar face.I know when Sandi posts,people respond in a more civil way(she has that 'carefull my lad im your mother' type of face) no offence intended.

Anyway just a thought people

In some ways, doing that could be a bad thing. Some people (I haven't really seen it happen here, but it does happen in other places) won't take anyone who's younger than 18 seriously. Sometimes this continues until 21. If you've ever read Ender's Game, then you know how Peter came to be Hegemon - he created a false identity, Locke, who was an adult, and contributed online. For the possibility he saw here was acceptance for his writing and thoughts as apposed to age.

Personally, that's really the only reason I'd be against it.

I think people would be less aggresive to each other' date='when they see a familiar face.I know when Sandi posts,people respond in a more civil way(she has that 'carefull my lad im your mother' type of face) no offence intended.

Anyway just a thought people[/quote']

"And if you don't straighten up and fly right, I'm going to jump right out of your monitor and snatch you bald headed."

Seriously - I also try to be careful not to antagonize folks when I write. That is the surest way to get a blistering response back, and if I wanted to pick a fight, I would do it for something worth fighting about.

I did at one point but it made me look like a goon and i soon realised nobody took me seriosuly anymore.

Too sensitive but thats ok,who cares"respect yourself"

Heres me with youngest son of 5,at the diving club.

Notice its with photo enhancement.

the second is unfortunately how i really look :):-)

me and son.jpg

Several of the forums I belong to have a thread designated for members to post pictures of themselves if they want to, that wouldn't be a bad idea, I've always felt strange about putting myself in an avatar....

Anyway, if anyone cares or is curious or just plain bored, here I be: http://groups.msn.com/Anne-MariesPlace/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

It wont fit into the avatar' date='but im working on it.

Hey syntax how did you get your pic to load straight away on the page.[/quote']

You need to upload them to an online server. I use Imageevent. Then access the picture and copy the address to your clipboard. After that---

paste web address here

Just a suggestion' date='but would members here consider having their own photographs as avatars.Or a section were people voluntarily post their photo.

I ask this because Sandi,Bettina,Yt2095 etc have....[/quote']

I think it should be optional. I like Sandi and YT and blike and bettina and them having photos, partly because they project some personality in the photo

but I like my avatar too much to change. it is how I think of myself or want to be, it gives me some additional energy to be that person on SFN. so consider that I have already complied with your suggestion and have posted my snapshot

With respect,that seemed like a total pxxx take.

What i proposed,was a genuine see who we all are sort of thing.

I believe we all think SFN is on the whole,the best science forum on the net.So why not become more familiar with each other,instead of typo.

The good response so far is self evident that it benefits the forum.It is more pleasant and disarming to actually put a face to a post.IMO i want this forum to grow bigger,better and be the envy of other similar forums.

I like the idea of new members getting the impression we are a close nit family type of forum.Welcoming ,but at the same time if all your here to do is cause trouble.Your not going to get any change,everyone knows each other here so buzz off.

Sorry if my opinion is too deep for some.!!