Beam me up.

JohnB

Has anyone else seen this article?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6940417

How cool, $25,000 to tell the USAF that a Star Trek style transporter "The concept of transporting any large amount of matter is highly impractical and looks to be highly impractical well into the future."

Heck, I could have told them that. :D

I like the blokes style in his recommendations though.

He recommends in the report spending $7 million a year to see if it might be possible.

For a mere say 75,000 of that, I'll keep track of the Aussie research. ;):D

well these things work by creating a copy of the object, turning it into binary data or entergy transporting it, destroying the original and then recreating another one.

destroying the original and then recreating another one.

[/Quote]

This is the part i dont like, i get destroyed, my clone walks instead of me :-(.

I'm sending a letter to Wright-Patterson AFB asking for $1M to fund a study into the zero-point energy field. George Lucas already wrote my conclusion back in 1976: "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant when compared to the power of The Force."

Your article reminds me of a story many years ago about a woman in Boulder, CO, who got a government grant to study the process of plastic decay over time in an organic environment. She got something like US$75K/year and all she did was bury some Tupperware in her back yard, dig it up and report that it was still intact, no sign of decay. I forget how many years she got to do this.

Your article reminds me of a story many years ago about a woman in Boulder, CO, who got a government grant to study the process of plastic decay over time in an organic environment. She got something like US$75K/year and all she did was bury some Tupperware in her back yard, dig it up and report that it was still intact, no sign of decay. I forget how many years she got to do this.

I really shouldn't say this on an international site..... but...

americans :rolleyes: whatever next? :P

this smats SOooo much of a Twiglet Zone episode!

you know' date=' the one when the Dinosaurs have teleport technology...

or was it the Otters Ligaments (typo) Outer Limits?[/quote']

Thats odd. There is a Sci-Fi short story by James Patrick Kelly where an alien race called dinosaurs have technology exactly the way you described where one person is destroyed but the exact copy walks away on a planet very far away. The story had a more interesting plot, but the premise was the same. Its called "Think Like a Dinosaur"

I wonder who plagiarized?

• 9 months later...
I really shouldn't say this on an international site..... but...

americans :rolleyes: whatever next? :P

Heh. Spare me the cliche. That's why we are so good at developing technologies, we try and try, and never give up until we actually see that its not worth at the time being.

This is the part i dont like, i get destroyed, my clone walks instead of me :-(.

You do realize you're nothing but a pattern right? The overwhelming majority of your constituent atoms are constantly being flushed from your body.