One of my last questions before I move from Hypothesis to Theory.

jduff

I have a question for everyone who visits this part of the forums. This question applies both with genetics and particle mechanics. I have a hypothesis. The Hypothesis states that no single particle that exists is the same. That a particle in its existence will never be in the same space, time or mass. This is regardless of how that particle acts, looks alike or has same traits of other particles. That each is it own individual. This Hypothesis applies to many studies of science including Biology, Genetics, Physics, and Quantum Physics.

So the question,

Can a particle be the same with space, time, mass more than once?

I do not believe it can. But perhaps someone can give a counter to the hypothesis.

Best of luck!

wormhole is an good example and z-bozone

Its still never in the same space, time, mass, nor does that particle retain its exact makeup as when the observation takes place. It may act alike, look alike, even have the same characteristics and traits. But it will still be different. In genetics a cell goes from normal to free radical how? In quantum no single particle that exists is ever in the same time or space. Even mass is shared among that particle with others.

Please feel free to give a better example.

Edited by jduff

can you define its position?

That is a good question. Depends on relativity. The bigger the expanse, the less relativity becomes viable. In quantum its more about prediction of a particles movement than the actual particle itself right? Containment? When has a particle stopped? Lets say we had a particle contained. It would still be in a different position as we consider all the other factors relevant to that particle.

The reality is I do not believe that a position can be defined. Rather guess at when A will arrive to B ect.

In quantum no single particle that exists is ever in the same time or space. Even mass is shared among that particle with others.

True of fermions, but not of bosons. Bose-Einstein Condensates contain thousands of particles that are overlapping and indistinguishable. Lasers emit coherent light, in which the photons are overlapping.

There are different statistics hat apply to the two cases, which involves the wave function they must have (symmetric or anti-symmetric) on exchange of identical particles. IOW, Bose-Einstein particles will behave a certain way if they are identical, and they are observed to behave this way, and such particles are not restricted from being in the same state.

True of fermions, but not of bosons. Bose-Einstein Condensates contain thousands of particles that are overlapping and indistinguishable. Lasers emit coherent light, in which the photons are overlapping.

There are different statistics hat apply to the two cases, which involves the wave function they must have (symmetric or anti-symmetric) on exchange of identical particles. IOW, Bose-Einstein particles will behave a certain way if they are identical, and they are observed to behave this way, and such particles are not restricted from being in the same state.

Even Bose-Einstein particles differ. Even if they overlap. As mentioned above, they may look alike, act alike and show traits of being alike but they are not. Space and time play a role in this. I will give a example of what I mean using a biological scale. In our body we have blood cells. Each blood cell is its own individual. Why? Because a blood cell has its own internal clock. That in part. As well as it is never in the same location. While stimuli may be applied to get those cells that are seemingly alike to react a certain way. That is not proof that they are identical!

This applies to particles as well. Fermion or Boson! They have a lifespan of existence. You can apply stimuli to get them to react or look a certain way. But they still are individual even when they seem identical. Space, Time as well as Mass makes sure this applies.

I am off to work, Will continue this sometime tonight smile.png

Edited by jduff

Even Bose-Einstein particles differ. Even if they overlap. As mentioned above, they may look alike, act alike and show traits of being alike but they are not.

Something more than a bald assertion, perhaps?

In the derivation of the statistics, the particles are identical. If they were not, they would behave differently.

Can a particle be the same with space, time, mass more than once?

A given particle always has the same mass. So that eliminates one of your variables.

I do not believe it can. But perhaps someone can give a counter to the hypothesis.

It isn't a hypothesis. It appears to be an (unsupported) assertion. So, using the same level of evidence: it is wrong.

It isn't a hypothesis. It appears to be an (unsupported) assertion.

Also, I think saying you're moving your own idea from hypothesis to theory is like giving yourself a nickname or proclaiming yourself a superstar. It's not really for you to do. Almost by definition, it would be others who would grant you those distinctions.