if sun turned into an black hole then..

Rajnish Kaushik

10 members have voted

1. 1. i was right?

• Yes
    • No

If the sun turned into a black hole as you said in your original post, then the mass would remain the same. If it the same mass, it is the same gravitational pull. That is why there would be no impact on the earth.

Yes, he was right.

Edited by zapatos

If the sun turned into a black hole as you said in your original post, then the mass would remain the same. If it the same mass, it is the same gravitational pull. That is why there would be no impact on the earth.

Yes, he was right.

i thought that its gravity increase because its an black hole

Gravity increases as you get nearer the center of mass. On the surface of the sun you will feel the greatest gravitational pull. If you move as far from the sun as the earth is, the gravity will be less because you are further from the center of mass. If you burrow into the sun, the gravity will be less because now some of the mass is over you head. But if the sun shrinks, then you can still be on the surface, but also get closer to the center of mass.

The gravity doesn't increase if it turns into a black hole. It increases if you get closer to the center of mass. A black hole is just so small that you can get VERY close to its center of mass.

If you have star with initial mass m, after burning out all fuel and collapse it's mass is smaller than initial m. During lifetime star is ejecting clouds of gas/plasma in eruptions.

can u explain please

Gravity increases as you get nearer the center of mass. On the surface of the sun you will feel the greatest gravitational pull. If you move as far from the sun as the earth is, the gravity will be less because you are further from the center of mass. If you burrow into the sun, the gravity will be less because now some of the mass is over you head. But if the sun shrinks, then you can still be on the surface, but also get closer to the center of mass.

The gravity doesn't increase if it turns into a black hole. It increases if you get closer to the center of mass. A black hole is just so small that you can get VERY close to its center of mass.

means not even mercury?

Nothing that is above the surface of the sun will notice if the sun turns into a black hole.

On the other hand, if a comet comes along and passes closer to the black hole than what was previously the surface of the sun, the comet will experience a stronger gravitational field.

Edited by zapatos

Nothing that is above the surface of the sun will notice if the sun turns into a black hole.

I understand that gravity isn't a "sucking" force, but I often think of the increase in gravity near the event horizon of a black hole as being like the end of the hose on a vacuum cleaner. The force pushing something towards the hole at the end of the hose isn't really felt until you get very close, and then it becomes irresistible to anything without the mass to beat it. Is that an accurate way to look at it (as far as analogy ever goes)?

I understand that gravity isn't a "sucking" force, but I often think of the increase in gravity near the event horizon of a black hole as being like the end of the hose on a vacuum cleaner. The force pushing something towards the hole at the end of the hose isn't really felt until you get very close, and then it becomes irresistible to anything without the mass to beat it. Is that an accurate way to look at it (as far as analogy ever goes)?

I think it's a great analogy. There is a lot of confusion about how the gravity of a black hole really affects those things around it.

The only part I'm not sure about is when you said 'without the mass to beat it'. The way I always thought of it was that as you approached the event horizon, the only way to avoid crossing over was if you had sufficient velocity. Even two black holes will combine if their velocity does not allow them to pass by or orbit each other.

The only part I'm not sure about is when you said 'without the mass to beat it'. The way I always thought of it was that as you approached the event horizon, the only way to avoid crossing over was if you had sufficient velocity. Even two black holes will combine if their velocity does not allow them to pass by or orbit each other.

In my analogy, there are things that have more mass than the force from the end of the vacuum hose can overcome, such as my couch. We can assume that if the sun became a black hole, nothing that massive would exist to overcome the force of the gravity at the event horizon. Does that make sense?

In my analogy, there are things that have more mass than the force from the end of the vacuum hose can overcome, such as my couch. We can assume that if the sun became a black hole, nothing that massive would exist to overcome the force of the gravity at the event horizon. Does that make sense?

If you want a vacuum / sucking analogy I would think of it more as those swimming pool filter pumps - swim past one and you wouldn't notice it - that's us compared to the sun; put your hand near the protective cage / mesh and you will feel the pull but you can still resist - that's close to a star/black hole; but remove the cage or put your hand over the hole and you have got too close and it will drag your hand in and nothing will get it out whilst that pump is on - that's being within the schwarzchild radius. Being in the dangerous position isn't possible with the sun - you have to be well inside the hot bit to be close but once that is a black hole you can get close enough that there is a real problem