Why high school physics is so boring?

Rajnish Kaushik

I think many depends on teacher.

If I would be learning in school, I would be showing cloud chamber, electron gun, Crookes tube.

Showing what happens when there is electric and magnetic field around them etc. etc.

Showing how to create high voltage, electric arc, vacuum arc.

Nothing stops you making them by yourself.

They must balance what they teach so the entire class can find benefit, regardless of their previous knowledge or level. This often means those with a lot of experience or interest find themselves quickly bored. You can always supplement your own learning online. Don't fault your teach for trying to maximize the benefit to the class in aggregate.

If teachers are learning just theory, make electrostatic machine by yourself, and show class..

You can get better grade.

See video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zilvl9tS0Og

there is no science fare events its india and it sucks

that video was awesome but the concept are not taught

They must balance what they teach so the entire class can find benefit, regardless of their previous knowledge or level. This often means those with a lot of experience or interest find themselves quickly bored. You can always supplement your own learning online. Don't fault your teach for trying to maximize the benefit to the class in aggregate.

but no experiments but we only see microscopes and resistors in the name of practicals

I don't know education in India.

I can talk about education I was following and the system followed by my daughter today.

The goal of the educational system is not to turn you into an educated person. The goal is to put barriers in such a way that only the best will survive. If your teachers are boring, that is because their cursus is there only to select, not to make an entire class succeed.

From time to time you may find in the media some teacher from a forgotten school in a forgotten village whose entire class suceeds at difficult examens. This teacher is not aware that his job is not to teach but to select.

IOW if you want to survive, learn about darwinism because you are actually living in the jungle* and you may become very soon a victim of the system.

*jungle=highschool

Edited by michel123456

A rather cynical viewpoint. It is their job to educate and exams are there to rate students. Employers select. Colleges select. But everyone gets an education.

If a teacher is boring it's not because its a conspiracy to put barriers in your way, perhaps they are simply not an engaging teacher or their style doesn't suit every student.

How exactly is physics taught in your country? Where I live physics as a separate subject begins in 7th grade (junior high school), then after 3 years one may choose a math-physics profile in senior high school with five hours (five 45min lessons) of physics every week. So I think by the time of 12th grade one has a pretty solid grasp of classical physics and a good preparation for uni physics. If someone is really passionate about it, he/she won't find the material boring.

Edited by SlavicWolf

i seen all links but we warent said anything about it

sorry for that but not in my area and my collage and they dont send us any notice about external science fares sad.png

Boredom is a self-inflicted wound. Why are you waiting for THEM to show you what YOU want to do? If they don't send you any notices, find them yourself.

If you love learning, don't wait to be spoon-fed. Teachers are there for the entire class, but individual students need to find their own motivation. By the time you're in college, you should know how to find out what you need to know.

A rather cynical viewpoint. It is their job to educate and exams are there to rate students. Employers select. Colleges select. But everyone gets an education.

If a teacher is boring it's not because its a conspiracy to put barriers in your way, perhaps they are simply not an engaging teacher or their style doesn't suit every student.

Well, I have come to the conclusion that for suceeding in your studies, the goal, the only goal is to pass the examens, it is NOT to understand the cursus. There are plenty of poor students who pay heavily the price before understanding the difference between the two concepts.

Boredom is a self-inflicted wound. Why are you waiting for THEM to show you what YOU want to do? If they don't send you any notices, find them yourself.

If you love learning, don't wait to be spoon-fed. Teachers are there for the entire class, but individual students need to find their own motivation. By the time you're in college, you should know how to find out what you need to know.

Not always. I know people who are excellent at being boring.

And the OP din't said that he was bored by everything. It looks to me that he is excited about physics but that he is disappointed not getting the same excitement from his teachers.

Edited by michel123456

There's also the issue of having to learn the basics in order to understand the newer parts of physics. It's one thing to want to learn about particle physics, but if you don't understand conservation of momentum and energy, and the electrostatic interaction and (later) quantum mechanics, you aren't going to be able to understand mesons and quarks at anything but a pop-science level.

It's an issue shared by many of our "new theory" peddlers here on SFN.

How exactly is physics taught in your country? Where I live physics as a separate subject begins in 7th grade (junior high school), then after 3 years one may choose a math-physics profile in senior high school with five hours (five 45min lessons) of physics every week. So I think by the time of 12th grade one has a pretty solid grasp of classical physics and a good preparation for uni physics. If someone is really passionate about it, he/she won't find the material boring.

They take a book and just derive formulas :(

no practices no real life examples and no other things

practical*

Oh man... Physics in Poland is almost all about problem solving... The teacher introduces some theory and the students start doing real problems from a workbook... And there is almost always homework. That's the case from the very beginning in 7th grade.

There are also a few specialized magnet schools that follow a different curriculum... even more of them in Russia.

Edited by SlavicWolf