C++ Relevant Code?

AndresKiani

Is C++ a relevant coding language for today's computer science? I've been doing C++ since I was in middle school, for gaming at first.

Though, in college I decided to study the natural sciences instead of computer science. So I'm just wandering, is C++ a relevant coding language today as it was back like maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

Edited by AndresKiani

It is still a relevant coding language like most languages are. However, last time I have heard Java, Python, and some other languages are becoming more used than other languages that exist. I think companies are using Java more often because of the multi-platform abilities. It really depends on what type of software development you are doing.

So, straight short answer is "No, Java is now days" and the long answer is "It depends on what companies want to develop, but if it is a tool that is meant to be used on more than one platform then Java is the norm now days."

Someone can correct me on this if they want.

Edited by Unity+

If I remember correclty C++ was always seen as better than java for real-time programming (hence why it was popular for gaming, but it is (was?) also used by the defence for programming of aircraft and missiles I believe and considered safe to do so. Java was seen as a bit too slow for such things and always used to come with a caveat that it should not be used for such things as air-traffic control etc. I don't know whether this is still the case.

If I remember correclty C++ was always seen as better than java for real-time programming (hence why it was popular for gaming, but it is (was?) also used by the defence for programming of aircraft and missiles I believe and considered safe to do so. Java was seen as a bit too slow for such things and always used to come with a caveat that it should not be used for such things as air-traffic control etc. I don't know whether this is still the case.

It was better, but for purposes as simplicity I think Java has become the norm. C++ has become more of an alternative to Java nowadays.