Magnets receiving and transmitting radiowaves?

Maximiliano

Hi guys and gals,

I play guitar occasionally and sometimes hear a local radio station playing from my amp while I am plugged in. I'm no engineer nor do I have a clue about magnetism off the surface. My question is: what is it about the magnetic pick-up in my guitar that allows it to transmitt radio waves through my speakers?

And secondly (2): can it be replicated with an isolated magnetic pick-up with a biological electrical source like a potato or something? Thanks.

Edited by Maximiliano

It's more probably the cable that catches the radio waves, though a pick-up is possible. The connected preamplifier is sensitive to the voltage induced in the cable. It does happen (and quite naturally...) when circuitry isn't designed well enough.

A true antenna, for instance an authentic ferrite rod for radiocom, would be better than the guitar pick-up. If using a headphone, two electrodes in a fruit would suffice; it's a matter of proper design.

It's more probably the cable that catches the radio waves, though a pick-up is possible. The connected preamplifier is sensitive to the voltage induced in the cable. It does happen (and quite naturally...) when circuitry isn't designed well enough.

A true antenna, for instance an authentic ferrite rod for radiocom, would be better than the guitar pick-up. If using a headphone, two electrodes in a fruit would suffice; it's a matter of proper design.

I think you're right. It makes sense considering the pickups could be turned down and the signal remains constant. To direct my question a bit more, I was hoping to learn how a radio implant in a person could work? Would it be possible for an antennae to communicate radio signal through our auditory system?

• 4 months later...

Would it be possible for an antennae to communicate radio signal through our auditory system?

No, they are too different.

Some animals (eg homing pigeons) have magnetic sensors in their brains that respond to changes in the Earth's mangetic field.

that is how they navigate.

They can be disoriented by strong radio (ie magnetic) signals.

I don't think they have found anything similar in humans, though someone else may know more.

Some animals (eg homing pigeons) have magnetic sensors in their brains that respond to changes in the Earth's mangetic field.

that is how they navigate.

Pigeons with attached camera during flight revealed that they don't fly straight line to target.

They're using well known by them objects on the ground such as roads, rivers, train tracks, mountains as guides to where they want to travel. Making path much much longer than optimal straight line.

It was visible even in Top Gear episode (Series 4, Episode 4) where James Mays and Clarkson tried to beat pigeons (some of them had attached camera, so it was visible how they are flying). Search for it on YT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_%28series_4%29

"Time Challenge: Can a Ford SportKa, equipped with the world's most advanced (and expensive, at ?2500) satellite navigation system beat a flock of racing pigeons? May forgot to use the postcode search and wasted 25 minutes to reach the right address, having originally arrived at an identically named road in the wrong suburb. Regardless, the fastest pigeon won with 30 minutes to spare even after discounting May's mistake, with thirteen others arriving in-between. Clarkson called the SportKa way, way better than a Citroën C2, and ridicules May for losing."