A question about Game Design

Guest Emperor

Guest Emperor

Hey guys, I'm an aspiring Game Designer and here's my question:

I've heard that a Computer Science degree doesn't generally give you a big boost when applying for a job at a game company. Do you think that a degree in Digital Entertainment and Game Design would give me a big boost seeing as how it's much more specific to the Game Design scene? This is a pretty significant question I need answered before I spend 2 more years of my life and thousands of my dollars in a technology school going for the degree, thanks!

Computer science is supposed to be more algorithm studies then anything else, I think.

I dont know very much abotu the diferent degrees, but there was a professor at my school advertising that WVU had a 'game programming' course. I forget the details fo the degree though.

If you're going to be working with computers and their components, then it certainly won't hurt.

A game design degree will teach you specifically about programming games, making screen output with things like DirectX and OpenGL, making maps and textures, etc. Comp Sci is going to teach you about more general programming, how an operating system works, the different parts of a computer, networking, etc.

Wouldn´t it be best to go to the game companies' websites and check out the requirements for their open positions? Also, be aware that creating a computer game needs much more than a few programmers. I´d bet that the numer of level designers, story writers, website admins, model designers, artists, ... is much higher than the number of actual programmers (you can probably check that out in the credits of your favorite game). I think i even read that the actual game engine (the graphics engine and the network code) which is the part that requires skills you probably learn in computer sciences are sometimes bought from other companies to reduce development costs and the number of "real" programmers required.

Two more things I´d like to mention:

- Be aware that there´s really a lot of very talented young people around that want to go into the game industry. I´ve been programming (with varying enthusiasm) for 15 years now but most of the 16 year old hobby programmers I´ve seen are much better coders than me.

- A very good ressource for game programming infos is http://www.gamedev.net. if I remember correctly there was also a forum about game industry. You might want to go there and browse the forums for information.

I like directx better. It has alot more post-processing effects and it is updated more frequently that opengl.

Go with whatever you want though. Opengl is good for portability and ease, but directx is more powerful.

Cheers!

Yes, the Digital Entertainment and Game Design degree would be most likely to land you a good position at a gaming co. Computer science, from what I take it, is more ranged, basically for tech advisors at companies, but if its gaming you want, go with Digital Entertainment and Game Design. :)