Have you had an experience that you could not explain rationally?

Alan McDougall

I dont mind stating a few......

I sometimes dream of tangible concepts that seemingly relate abstract idea's. For example i dreamt that i was england and my brother was america.....and my mother russia...ha.

The scariest was when i thought everybody were chemicals, i was at a rave and started breathing slowly and at one point held my breath, everyone in the crowd seemed to stop and look at me at which point i started breathing heavily and everyone went back to raving. This lead me to think that everyone at the rave were my air and the mix of personalities represented different chemicals in the air.

I've been in strange social situations where what somebody has been telling me has induced a heavy sense of connotation that made me believe or temporarily become them, it was like coming face to face with myself.

I've had a few experiences of deja vu where i've felt like i'm stepping outside of some illusion and without any emotion just perceiving reality.

I also had a bit of a break down over the nature of life concluding that all we essentially boil down to is a set of electrical signals, i didnt enjoy that.

Mostly though i just perceive tangible concepts as abstract idea's and totally misinterpret the reality or nature of a situation.

EDIT: I come up with loads of strange concepts but i mostly just store them as "maybe, maybe not" in a philosophical sort of way, however the examples stated above induced a very strange perception of reality, perhaps temporary psychosis?? The dreams i know aren’t any sort of reflection of reality.

Philosophically speaking i think we all perceive reality differently due to genetics and environmental variables. Some things cant really be expressed in language, they are experiences that can only be experienced and hold no value to any one but yourself.

Edited by DevilSolution

Yes, a couple or so...

Can you elaborate , we might find then very interesting? smile.png

I dont mind stating a few......

I sometimes dream of tangible concepts that seemingly relate abstract idea's. For example i dreamt that i was england and my brother was america.....and my mother russia...ha.

The scariest was when i thought everybody were chemicals, i was at a rave and started breathing slowly and at one point held my breath, everyone in the crowd seemed to stop and look at me at which point i started breathing heavily and everyone went back to raving. This lead me to think that everyone at the rave were my air and the mix of personalities represented different chemicals in the air.

I've been in strange social situations where what somebody has been telling me has induced a heavy sense of connotation that made me believe or temporarily become them, it was like coming face to face with myself.

I've had a few experiences of deja vu where i've felt like i'm stepping outside of some illusion and without any emotion just perceiving reality.

I also had a bit of a break down over the nature of life concluding that all we essentially boil down to is a set of electrical signals, i didnt enjoy that.

Mostly though i just perceive tangible concepts as abstract idea's and totally misinterpret the reality or nature of a situation.

EDIT: I come up with loads of strange concepts but i mostly just store them as "maybe, maybe not" in a philosophical sort of way, however the examples stated above induced a very strange perception of reality, perhaps temporary psychosis?? The dreams i know aren’t any sort of reflection of reality.

Philosophically speaking i think we all perceive reality differently due to genetics and environmental variables. Some things cant really be expressed in language, they are experiences that can only be experienced and hold no value to any one but yourself.

Some of your experiences remind me of my bipolar disorder, I recently started a thread in the psychiatric sub- forum tilled "The Brilliant Madness" I am not suggesting that you suffer from any mental disorder, but the similarity of some of your events, to that of mine are interesting smile.png

Some of your experiences remind me of my bipolar disorder, I recently started a thread in the psychiatric sub- forum tilled "The Brilliant Madness" I am not suggesting that you suffer from any mental disorder, but the similarity of some of your events, to that of mine are interesting smile.png

No definitely not bipolar. I take SNDRI's for that......only joking.

Edited by DevilSolution

I think everyone has had some experiences that they could not explain rationally, but that does not mean that anything "supernatural" has occurred. The things is our perceptions, preconceptions and memory can misguide us hugely. Couple that with the fact that one may not be in possession of the full facts anyway and you end up living in a very "spooky world".

I also consider the divergence in languages across the earth as aspects of the brain, the communication, war and evolution serve as analogies of the thought structure of the combined consciousness. Where, for example, german may be used as abstract schema and english be the cerebral cortex .... not in any absolute terms just as a vague idea.

I had a really strange experience on salvia, but that was drug induced.

Edited by DevilSolution

I also consider the divergence in languages across the earth as aspects of the brain, the communication, war and evolution serve as analogies of the thought structure of the combined consciousness. Where, for example, german may be used as abstract schema and english be the cerebral cortex .... not in any absolute terms just as a vague idea.

I had a really strange experience on salvia, but that was drug induced.

Tell us about it, an experience is an experience?

I think everyone has had some experiences that they could not explain rationally, but that does not mean that anything "supernatural" has occurred. The things is our perceptions, preconceptions and memory can misguide us hugely. Couple that with the fact that one may not be in possession of the full facts anyway and you end up living in a very "spooky world".

Maybe but isn't what we cant explain rationally, supernatural?

Tell us about it, an experience is an experience?

I became i spider, was in a state of complete fear, when i come around i seen a spider not 50 cm away from me. It was as if i had experienced being a spider for the space of 20 seconds and the fact there was a spider evidently next to me during the experience i didnt pin down to coincidence. As i stated though it was an induced state of consciousness.

Edited by DevilSolution

I have prophetic dreams that are terrifyingly accurate and a near death experience that is only explainable by a hallucination even though it seemed real and predicted real events as well as out of the body experiences.

I have prophetic dreams that are terrifyingly accurate and a near death experience that is only explainable by a hallucination even though it seemed real and predicted real events as well as out of the body experiences.

I don't believe your near death experience was just an hallucination, also we do somehow get a peek into the future, especially in our dreams.

Like you I have had both a near death experience and an out of body event. The out of body experience was very scary, I felt as if a malevolent dark entity was hovering over me..

Here is an odd experience I had during the 1970's with a friend of mine by the name of Tony

The day my friend Tony Martin and I saw a vision in the clouds

When I worked at the Vereeniging Branch Office at Eskom I took a friend Tony Martin by car with me on a visited to a Power Station at Newcastle in Natal province. On the way back home, Tony perplexed kept looking out of his side of the car window, and finally said to me “Look at that very strange cloud”. I stopped the car and, pulled to the side of the road and we got out and looked up into the clouds above. To our amazement, one cloud was stationary, while all the others moved in the usual way as the wind blows them across h the blue sky above. What was really almost beyond belief was the fact that the inner part of this very strange cloud was bright green, and surrounding with a bright skirt or edge of beautiful pink in its luminosity.

Neither Tony nor I had ever seen such a beautiful cloud or object in all our lives. Tony just stood there in amazement and wept. Over the years I have tried to come up with a rational explanation of what we saw that day. I said to Tony, “that no one will ever believe us when we tell them, when we arrive at home". He was right Denise, my wife just said we had both just mistook an ordinary cloud for some mysterious object. I am not sure what Kathy Tony’s wife said, but I think it was something similar.

But we both saw the exact same phenomenon for which up to this day I have been unable to explain rationally!

©Copyright Alan McDougall 2013

Maybe but isn't what we cant explain rationally, supernatural?

That is not a good enough definition of supernatural. There are lots of things that I cannot explain, I don't have the knowledge, but that does not make these things supernatural. A better definition would be "beyond the laws of physics", but then it maybe the case that upon proper study these phenomena become part of physics.

Anyway, what I am hinting at is that all of the strange experiences I have had do not require ghosts, ESP, gods etc to be explained, I just accept that I don't fully understand these experiences as we are very complex organisms living in a complex Universe.

On a lighter note, I did once believe in ghosts... for about 5 minutes... I went into my attic and was doing some work and as i started back down I noticed an old rocking chair begin to rock furiously... it stunned me, made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. If i had left it at that I would have forever been left with a mystery but I pulled up my big boy pants and started examining the chair... nothing.. then I started back down the chair started to rock again... this time I was determined to find out but again nothing... the third time i started down and the chair started rocking I heard a thump and saw my cat that had followed me into the attic swarm down the ladder ahead of me... it felt real for about five minutes...

I sometimes have felt very weird. I start to ask myself, why am I here. It is a very random thought, and I feel like I am above myself. But I don't. I can't explain it, because after it happens I can't remember anything. I can't really explain it, but it is very weird. Then my heart starts to beat really really fast, and I get a tickley feeling in my stomach, and I can't breath, and my calf tightens and hurts a lot. I think I might not be giving my oxygen enough blood, because I feel light headed when it happens. It also happens when I am sleeping, and randomly wake up in the middle of the night and get up really quickly.

I don't know...

Yes I've had a few experiences when praying I could not explain rationally. It is these really I suppose, one in particular, that keep my faith going.

Please tell us more this is the lounge where we can talk about anything, even the controversial, mythical and unexplainable!

For some reason this thread keeps reminding me of Jimi Hendrix...

maybe I'm channeling Hendrix...

He was a remarkable guitar player, and he could play it behind his back or with his mouth almost as good as he could with his remarkable hands in front of him He was taken from us much too early, he was a phenomenon that one only sees rarely, a musical genius of the highest order. Maybe you should pick up your guitar when he is around in the confines of your mind, and try to learn how to really play it. smile.png

Please tell us more this is the lounge where we can talk about anything, even the controversial, mythical and unexplainable!

Well the main one really was when I was praying (actually ranting and complaining quiet fiercely to God) and I heard a reply, a sentence that spoke so strongly in my mind, that it stopped me in my tracks and stopped my own (very strong and angry) thoughts. I do not believe it came from me because it was so surprising and so forceful (Like being shaken or slapped but without it being harsh) and just did not feel like any other thought I'd ever had.

There are 2 other times that when I was praying (wordlessly) really just showing God some dark emotional pain, and I was overwhelmed with a sense of comfort. And one other time where and I just had a powerful sense that God was looking right at me, which was really like being utterly known and at the same time utterly loved.

Those last three probably sound quite vague and woolly but they are experiences I will never forget, particularly the last one.

He was a remarkable guitar player, and he could play it behind his back or with his mouth almost as good as he could with his remarkable hands in front of him He was taken from us much too early, he was a phenomenon that one only sees rarely, a musical genius of the highest order. Maybe you should pick up your guitar when he is around in the confines of your mind, and try to learn how to really play it. smile.png

Are you experienced...

Well the main one really was when I was praying (actually ranting and complaining quiet fiercely to God) and I heard a reply, a sentence that spoke so strongly in my mind, that it stopped me in my tracks and stopped my own (very strong and angry) thoughts. I do not believe it came from me because it was so surprising and so forceful (Like being shaken or slapped but without it being harsh) and just did not feel like any other thought I'd ever had.

There are 2 other times that when I was praying (wordlessly) really just showing God some dark emotional pain, and I was overwhelmed with a sense of comfort. And one other time where and I just had a powerful sense that God was looking right at me, which was really like being utterly known and at the same time utterly loved.

Those last three probably sound quite vague and woolly but they are experiences I will never forget, particularly the last one.

Your experiences had both meaning and purpose and in my opinion you herd the voice of God in your mind much like a telepathy. People who have had a near death experience often sate that the means of communication in the afterlife in that of mind to mind contact or telepathic. smile.png

Your experiences had both meaning and purpose and in my opinion you herd the voice of God in your mind much like a telepathy. People who have had a near death experience often sate that the means of communication in the afterlife in that of mind to mind contact or telepathic. smile.png

Too bad you called me a liar when I told you I had a near death experience, it would knock your socks off...

Edited by Moontanman