Capital punishment is justice served by it?

Alan McDougall

You say my position is illogical?? You seem to be assuming all human life is worth the same. You seem to be saying Charles Ng's life is worth as much as his victims. Now I say THAT is illogical. A cockroaches life is worth far more than Charles Ng's.

Instead of focusing on what I SEEM to be saying, try focusing on what I am ACTUALLY saying. I merely asked a question and made an observation.

Look up some of these that I call the worst of the worst. They are worth less than a cockroach! <snip> My point is Charles Ng's life is not worth a piece of toast. To feed him a single piece of toast is a complete waste of toast (let alone feeding him meals for the rest of his life)

As I said previously, your approach appears not logical, but emotional. It seems based on a desire for retribution and revenge, and not on a desire to live in a moral and just society. I'm not judging you for this, merely making an observation.

That observation led me to ask a follow-up question (two, actually). 1 - How do we teach people that killing is wrong by killing them? 2 - In a society such as ours where we aspire to be moral and just, is it not self-contradictory to advocate for the state sanctioned murder of someone else?

So, I'll say again. Many posters here clearly seem to believe that it is not right to deprive another human being of life, and yet the punishment they advocate for such an action is... to deprive another human being of life. This is a internally inconsistent and illogical position.

Deter crime? That's not my point.

But it was a point shared by others, and it was one in need of rebuttal due to its fallacious nature.

Instead of focusing on what I SEEM to be saying, try focusing on what I am ACTUALLY saying. I merely asked a question and made an observation.

I thought I was responging to what you were saying and not to what you seemed to be saying. I'm not sure I understand but please clarify.

As I said previously, your approach appears not logical, but emotional. It seems based on a desire for retribution and revenge, and not on a desire to live in a moral and just society. I'm not judging you for this, merely making an observation.

Emotional? Revenge? No I would think Charles Ng's life should be snuffed out with as much emotion as stepping on a cockroach. No revenge, just the though that "we don't need this life. Done. Gone. No more Charles Ng."

That observation led me to ask a follow-up question (two, actually). 1 - How do we teach people that killing is wrong by killing them? 2 - In a society such as ours where we aspire to be moral and just, is it not self-contradictory to advocate for the state sanctioned murder of someone else?

How? I stand by my position because I truly believe that not all human life is worth as much as every other human life. It seems to me that the central point behind your position is that all human life is worth the same. You seem to be saying we can't kill one human because he killed another human. That stance makes sense if and only if you consider all human life worth the same! I do not.

Let me ask you again, just to clarify your position. Do you think Charles Ng's life is worth anywhere near as much as any one of his victims. If you think his life is worth that much your stance would make sense (although I would strongly disagree). I truly think my stance makes sense and yours is illogical.

So, I'll say again. Many posters here clearly seem to believe that it is not right to deprive another human being of life, and yet the punishment they advocate for such an action is... to deprive another human being of life. This is a internally inconsistent and illogical position.

Yes, I realize this is a common stance. The high and mighty position is believed to be that all human life is worth the same and we should even cherish the life of killers. I don't believe a lot of thought goes into coming up with that position. I don't think it's logical.

Edited by BusaDave9

!

Moderator Note

John Cuthber and Alan McDougall,

You are both failing to engage in a friendly discussion. You both have written too many posts that were aimed exclusively to each other, to 'win' the discussion.

John, you simply break one of our first rules: Be civil. No flaming. Refrain from insulting or attacking users in a discussion. You suggest that Alan doesn't know what he is talking about. You attack his spelling. You command him around instead of asking nicely. I have noticed before that your style generally fuels any fires that are already burning. Stop that.

Alan, your refusal to participate in the discussion is unacceptable. If you don't want to respond, then don't respond. But if you do respond, please make sure that the post contains some new information or opinion.

This thread is closed for moderator review.