Art Mask Project, What Should I Make

Lightmeow

In art class, I have to make a mask for our final project. I don't know as of yet what I should make. I should note that is has to be complicated, have eyes, nose, and a mouth(i.e. it can't be a Jason mask)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joshua

That's cool, the art teacher did something that looked basically like that, but it was of the sun. It's crazy how if your really good you can really make it look like it has emotion, like the angry sun my art teacher did. Will upload a picture of it when I am done with it.

What I am working on is a mushroom lamp for my dad. She needs to fire it so I can glaze it. I am better at drawing though. Maybe I will post a picture of the ice lynx that I did.

In art class, I have to make a mask for our final project. I don't know as of yet what I should make. I should note that is has to be complicated, have eyes, nose, and a mouth(i.e. it can't be a Jason mask)

Joshua

This collection of images might give you some ideas http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ceramic+masks

What about a greek theatre mask - you must have seen the two masks as the almost universal sign of the theatre and of actors - they were originally large ceramic masks that changed the voice and of course the appearance.

You can read about the Mask here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_ancient_Greece#Masks

This is what we get now as a representation of comedy and tragedy - this is the Actors' Union

equity_logo.gif

But the original looked like this

zeus_greek_mask1.jpg

Ancient greek masks have an open mouth.

No necessarily - it is a common error that they had a huge influence on the volume ie acting as a megaphone. The expected aural use is more along the lines of changing the timbre and resonance of a voice - but the main impact was visual. Research on ancients sources tends to think that it was preferred that the audience could not see the actor's mouth move - thus no holes, or small holes. The large gaping maniacal grins might even have been covered internally

Joshua

You should make a hollow mask like from the anime bleach.

You should make a hollow mask like from the anime bleach.

Or also from Japan the kabuki opera masks are also pretty amazing (I think manga and anime owe lots to the ancient kabuki styles). The above is a very cool mask though.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kabuki+masks&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=esK&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PRDQUuORKceVhQe58IGgBA&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=835