What is the problem of peoples if i call them bro?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Can i call you bro?

• yes
    • no
    • cant say

So you're trying to be friendly, that's OK but you need to respect people's boundaries and understand they are not necessarily the same as yours :)

Also a public vote may have been more useful than a private one if you were hoping to use this for future reference.

As pears said, it's overly familiar. It varies from culture to culture, but there's often a protocol about when you might address someone with a formal title vs a first name or a nickname, and this is related to that idea. You should probably err on the side of formality.

It's also one step closer to being called "brah", which I find to be even more annoying.

people dont like me sad.png

If that's true, one reason might be that you've been asked not to do something, been informed that it was annoying, and yet you continue to do it.

of i say someone bro the i get an admin note that stop saying people bro thats annoying so please tell me the problem

Do you generally call strangers you meet "bro"? It's a slang term, that most people would find overly familiar and irritating, if not a bit condescending.

u can see my reputation its -14 and this shows how much they like me sad.png

I gave you a couple of neg rep points, but it's not because I don't "like" you - I don't know you - hence the irritating nature of the "bro" thing.

The reason I gave you neg rep points was because you haven't been putting much effort into your posts. If a simple google search would answer your question, it's frustrating and annoying to ask other people to do it for you. A better way to approach the forum is to do some research yourself, and if you have trouble understanding what you are finding, ask for help once you've made an effort on your own. That way the discussion is more likely to be interesting and enjoyable for everyone and not just people telling you what 30 seconds on wikipedia might have told you.

Also, I would avoid the one liner responses, and the text speak, as it tends to fill up a thread with posts that don't add anything to a discussion.

the votes says it all i will never call anyone bro from now onward sad.pngfrown.gif

5 no and 0 yes dry.pngdry.pngdry.pngdry.pngdry.png

That's one of the best uses of emoticons I have seen for a long time! +1

But let's keep emoticon use to a sensible level as well.

why did u got the title of lazy do-nothing mudslinge?

to

imatfaal

Moderators and ancient members get to change their titles - I logged on one day and mine had been changed. As it was highly appropriate and I couldn't argue with any of the individual words I am happy with it.

Just for your guidance - we are not going to start allowing everyone to change their member titles; it is a bit involved so would be a fair amount of work, and it would be another source of controversy.

also, you shouldn't call people bro because you don't know their sex. hypervalent_iodine happens to be a female. And you just shouldn't. People don't like being called a pronoun. Call them by their name. Calling someone bro could be like calling them it, or thing, or something.

Personally I've never been offended by someone calling me 'bro'.

All the persons (not many it's true) I've come across using this form of address have not meant it in a derogatory way.

Only my friends of African decent call me bro and my real brother...

Moderators and ancient members get to change their titles - I logged on one day and mine had been changed. As it was highly appropriate and I couldn't argue with any of the individual words I am happy with it.

If memory serves you said you wanted that to be your title after another staff member had offered up the phrase (wishing s/he could have posted it in a thread), but you hadn't figured out how to make the change. So it wasn't as if the title appeared out of the blue.

My sisters often call me bro, but they call me lots of other things I wouldn't want random people on the internet calling me.

so it is decided by the elder members or i can say admins?

to

imatfaal

The idea of being labelled an elder member offends me even more than your overuse of bro does.

Anyway, imatfaal had it coming. You should have seen the barren state of the staff kitchen while he was supposed to be on duty. If there's one thing you really don't mess with here, it's our cheesenip supply.

I don't think it's about hurt feelings. It's more of a general courtesy, IMO. Perhaps even the concepts of decency and respect are at play here.

The basic principle is that it is a nickname for someone, the usage of which would only be appropriate after some time had passed... after you get to know someone... after you've learned enough about them to know that they would see the word "bro" as a term of endearment when it is applied to them... after you've learned they would perceive it as something positive and not as something discourteous or disrespectful or distasteful.

While you learn more about the members here with each day you post and through each post you read, you probably haven't learned enough about everyone to know accurate answers to the points above for each. It's okay, though. You're learning, and you seem open to feedback. That's a massive plus for you, and it shows maturity and integrity.

I don't think it's about hurt feelings. It's more of a general courtesy, IMO. Perhaps even the concepts of decency and respect are at play here.

The basic principle is that it is a nickname for someone, the usage of which would only be appropriate after some time had passed... after you get to know someone... after you've learned enough about them to know that they would see the word "bro" as a term of endearment when it is applied to them... after you've learned they would perceive it as something positive and not as something discourteous or disrespectful or distasteful.

While you learn more about the members here with each day you post and through each post you read, you probably haven't learned enough about everyone to know accurate answers to the points above for each. It's okay, though. You're learning, and you seem open to feedback. That's a massive plus for you, and it shows maturity and integrity.

thank you for encouraging me smile.pngredface.gif

Rajnish Kaushik, on 08 Jan 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:Rajnish Kaushik, on 08 Jan 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:Rajnish Kaushik, on 08 Jan 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

The whole discussion means that from today onward i wont call anyone bro (on this website ) redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

sorry everyone if i hurt you by calling u bro redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

Just to add a bit to iNow's post, which is very good and I hope you'll take notice. We appreciate you're only 14 and calling people "Bro" that are around your age is probably customary for you but in a place or forum populated by people from a lot of different age groups and cultures it's not really considered appropriate because it can rub some people up the wrong way. The thing about scientific discussion is it is quite a difficult subject when you get into it properly and not using generally accepted forms of address and terms can lead to confusion and irritation often .leading to poor quality discussions and misinterpretation. There's a saying that I think might be a good general guide for you is: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

If you keep reading here you can watch the hard-core members and notice how they relate to each other and follow their lead. It's not all perfectly-mannered discussion of course but you'll see the general 'rules of engagement' which is quite consistent. Learning to adapt to different groups of people, of which this is one, and the customs within them, is a very important part of our maturation into adulthood. We can't behave in exactly the same way with all the different groups we encounter if we want to engage with each and keep them happy. It works the other way, you don't want to be talking to your closest friends like we talk to each other do you? They would probably ridicule you for being all "snooty and proper"! This is life. Go with the flow ...wherever you are. Wear a different hat for each social situation. wink.png

Edited by StringJunky