What is the problem of peoples if i call them bro?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Can i call you bro?

• yes
    • no
    • cant say

Just to add a bit to iNow's post, which is very good and I hope you'll take notice. We appreciate you're only 14 and calling people "Bro" that are around your age is probably customary for you but in a place or forum populated by people from a lot of different age groups and cultures it's not really considered appropriate because it can rub some people up the wrong way. The thing about scientific discussion is it is quite a difficult subject when you get into it properly and not using generally accepted forms of address and terms can lead to confusion and irritation often .leading to poor quality discussions and misinterpretation. There's a saying that I think might be a good general guide for you is: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

If you keep reading here you can watch the hard-core members and notice how they relate to each other and follow their lead. It's not all perfectly-mannered discussion of course but you'll see the general 'rules of engagement' which is quite consistent. Learning to adapt to different groups of people, of which this is one, and the customs within them, is a very important part of our maturation into adulthood. We can't behave in exactly the same way with all the different groups we encounter if we want to engage with each and keep them happy. It works the other way, you don't want to be talking to your closest friends like we talk to each other do you? They would probably ridicule you for being all "snooty and proper"! This is life. Go with the flow ...wherever you are. Wear a different hat for each situation. wink.png

ok i will try to follow your advice from now onwards redface.gifredface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

also, you shouldn't call people bro because you don't know their sex. hypervalent_iodine happens to be a female. And you just shouldn't.

Unless she changes her name to hypervalent_bromide*. happy.png

*As in chemistry of course. You think i'm crazy blink.png

Not intended as; bromide - a phrase having been employed excessively, suggests insincerity or a lack of originality in the speaker.

If memory serves you said you wanted that to be your title after another staff member had offered up the phrase (wishing s/he could have posted it in a thread), but you hadn't figured out how to make the change. So it wasn't as if the title appeared out of the blue.

you remember correctly - but if I were to take the time to explain things fairly and in a balanced manner I would hardly be a lazy do-nothing mudslinger would I?

you remember correctly - but if I were to take the time to explain things fairly and in a balanced manner I would hardly be a lazy do-nothing mudslinger would I?

Fair enough. Though it occurs to me that no mud was slung here, and that slinging mud is actually doing something.

(and in reality I just wanted to make sure nobody got the impression that there's some roving band of renegade mods maliciously re-titling people, and establish plausible deniability for what any alleged band of renegade mods is actually doing)

Fair enough. Though it occurs to me that no mud was slung here, and that slinging mud is actually doing something.

(and in reality I just wanted to make sure nobody got the impression that there's some roving band of renegade mods maliciously re-titling people, and establish plausible deniability for what any alleged band of renegade mods is actually doing)

It might be an idea that after 5 warning points we unilaterally change the user title to trouble-maker and a negative reputation of worse than minus fifty we change to Homoeopath

Many years ago, I was leaving a concert, trying to get out of the parking lot full of people also trying to get out. The car parked in front of me (facing the same direction) had his engine and lights on, so I was waiting for him to pull out so I didn't have to back up. When he missed several opportunities to move, I got out of my car, went up to his window and said, "Hey pal, are you going to move or do I need to back up?" I didn't say it threateningly, but I'm a big guy. Even so, I was shocked at the fear in his eye as he told me he'd move right away.

My date pointed out that it was my use of the familiar "pal" that probably made it sound like a sarcastic threat. I didn't mean it that way, I was actually wanting the exact opposite, but by using a term that was overly familiar for someone I barely knew, it came off badly. I guess I'm lucky the guy wasn't a karate instructor or I would have been very unpleasantly surprised.

Now where did I put that folder of Teletubby avatars?

of i say someone bro the i get an admin note that stop saying people bro thats annoying so please tell me the problem

I don't like being called "bro." I tend to like being formally addressed when discussing science, while leaving general discussion to some slang, but not much.

Also, negative points are not a result of not being liked. It is more of a way of people determining whether the post has correct or incorrect information. It helps people determine the correct from incorrect information. Just because a scientist is a friend of another doesn't mean one would generally agree with their works(not in moral ways, but scientific ways).

I hate to be picky (*) but shouldn't that be hypervalent_bromine

You're right, but how often do you get a double entendre as sweet as that. wink.png

Edited by arc

Also, negative points are not a result of not being liked. It is more of a way of people determining whether the post has correct or incorrect information. It helps people determine the correct from incorrect information.

While the first part is mostly true (but not completely), the latter part absolutely is not... but that's another discussion entirely. (Reference: SFN Politics and Religion subforums).

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/71233-negative-rep/

Edited by iNow

I really do not see the issue with this term. People also seem to get very upset at the term "Dude". I think its better to ask the person since some people will be upset where as other do not care. People also get upset if you call them stuff like "Sugar, sweety, darling, sweetheart, honey". Though some people just tend to talk this sort of way. I think a lot of times this type of behaviour is based on the area. I would never get angry at someone for referring to me with one of these terms. Unless of course that person was only using the term to be condescending.

Marshalscienceguy, on 10 Jan 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

I really do not see the issue with this term. People also seem to get very upset at the term "Dude". I think its better to ask the person since some people will be upset where as other do not care. People also get upset if you call them stuff like "Sugar, sweety, darling, sweetheart, honey". Though some people just tend to talk this sort of way. I think a lot of times this type of behaviour is based on the area. I would never get angry at someone for referring to me with one of these terms. Unless of course that person was only using the term to be condescending.

We are not all local to each other and English is not all posters native language so the chances of problems arising are fairly high. Intent can be lost or ill-will disguised. It's best to communicate with forms of address that appear to be common and accepted across international borders. Yes it is more formal but, at the end of the day, science is a formal subject which requires as little ambiguity and as much clarity as possible. "Bro" and science just don't jive, Man. ;) Everything has it's place and time.

It might be an idea that after 5 warning points we unilaterally change the user title to trouble-maker and a negative reputation of worse than minus fifty we change to Homoeopath

I'd also say you should change the title, or rep title to infamous

I don't like being called "bro." I tend to like being formally addressed when discussing science, while leaving general discussion to some slang, but not much.

Everyone must now refer to me as pan dr ajb MPhys, MSc, PhD, AMInstP, or I am not talking to anyone ;-)

Everyone must now refer to me as pan dr ajb MPhys, MSc, PhD, AMInstP, or I am not talking to anyone ;-)

We are pleased with your decision not to tase us, pan dr ajb MPhys, MSc, PhD, AMInstP.

It just occurred to me, what if the university police tased Andrew Meyer BECAUSE he called them bro? eek.gif

one of my degree certificate refers to me as Lex Magister which kinda makes me think of myself as judge dread or a bond villan

Damn, now I feel like the village idiot... unsure.png

I will NOT change Moontanman's user title. I will NOT change Moontanman's user title. I will NOT change Moontanman's user title.

I will NOT change Moontanman's user title. I will NOT change Moontanman's user title. I will NOT change Moontanman's user title.

Oooooh, the temptation....

While the first part is mostly true (but not completely), the latter part absolutely is not... but that's another discussion entirely. (Reference: SFN Politics and Religion subforums).

Well, here was a post from that topic that came from Phi for All:

We never want negative rep to be used as a personal attack, so your suggestion doesn't violate that tenet. I've even stopped using it for bad answers, unless someone ignores better explanations with more supportive evidence in favor of their own answer that has little or nothing to support it. Mostly I use it for bad attitudes and rudeness. It seems to work out that the people with the worst behavior also tend to give poor answers.

What I was trying to say was that it is used for showing people's reputation for being able to cooperate under the environment that is in the ScienceForums.

That wasn't what I meant(or at least to that extent) Dr AJB MPhys, MSc, PhD, AMInstP. tongue.png