To test your mental acuity, answer the following questions

I will give the link later!

1. Johnny’s mother had three children. The first child was named April. The second child was named May. What was the third child’s name?

2. A clerk at a butcher shop stands five feet ten inches tall and wears size 13 sneakers. What does he weigh?

3. Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain in the world?

4. How much dirt is there in a hole that measures two feet by three feet by four feet?

5. What word in the English language is always spelled incorrectly?

6. Billie was born on December 28th, yet her birthday always falls in the summer. How is this possible?

7. In British Columbia you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?

8. If you were running a race and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

9. Which is correct to say, “The yolk of the egg is white” or “The yolk of the egg are white?”

10. A farmer has five haystacks in one field and four haystacks in another. How many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in one field?

• Johnny
  • Female Clerk
  • Everest
  • None
  • Incorrectly
  • Lives in the southern hemisphere
  • There are no men with Wooden legs in British Columbia
  • 1st
  • Neither

Number 2, 7, and 8 is wrong.

2.) The butcher weighs meat.

7.) You can't take pictures using wooden legs. You'll need a camera.

8.) If you passed the person in 2nd place, you will be in 2nd place.

Edited by Daedalus

So here is a good one:

Download the link, this one took me about 15 minutes to do.

It is a .pdf

If you peak at the answers please don't post the answer: www.maths.usyd.edu.au/ub/sums/puzzlehunt/2013/puzzles/A1S1_Spare_Puzzle.pdf

PS: hypervalent_iodine PMed me these. They are very good links. Just wanted to give credit where credit was do.

Edited by Lightmeow

I said in my post that started the topic that I would give the link after you guys came up with the answers.

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

Here are two more

In an experiment,you shoot a bullet , down a level flat plane, and drop a bullet at the same moment.

A) At the exact moment bullet A) leaves the barrel of your gun, your friend dropped another bullet B) from his hand at exactly the same height and moment the bullet was expelled out of the end of your gun..

1) Which bullet hits the ground first?

You are rowing up river against a flow of 5 miles per hour, after 1 hour of rowing you notice you have dropped your hat and immediately turn around and row at the same rate down river to retrieve it (Discard the time needed to actually turn your boat around)

2) How long will it take to catch up with your hat and retrieve it from the river?

You are in a room with just 2 unmarked doors, one door leads to the hangman and death, the other leads to freedom and life.

There are 2 guards in the room with you, one can only lie the other can only tell the truth. You have no idea which is which.

You are allowed just one question to one of the guards, you chose which, by just by asking this one question, you must establish exactly which door is the one leading to freedom or you die

3) What is the correct question?.

Edited by Alan McDougall

1) hit at the same time

2)Can't answer, don't know how much faster than the flow you are rowing. If you were rowing in place, and I am assuming you dropped the hat at the beginning when you started rowing, you would be rowing 5mph+the 5mph of the current, so it would take you 1 hour to travel ten miles. Your hat is traveling 5 miles per hour, and when you turned around, had a head start of 5 miles, so by the time you reach the hat it would of been traveling for ten miles in two hours. So you would get the hat in an hour. This question needed more info.

3)This one is tricky, I need more timesmile.png

I will give the link later!

1. Johnny’s mother had three children. The first child was named April. The second child was named May. What was the third child’s name?

2. A clerk at a butcher shop stands five feet ten inches tall and wears size 13 sneakers. What does he weigh?

3. Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain in the world?

4. How much dirt is there in a hole that measures two feet by three feet by four feet?

5. What word in the English language is always spelled incorrectly?

6. Billie was born on December 28th, yet her birthday always falls in the summer. How is this possible?

7. In British Columbia you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?

8. If you were running a race and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

9. Which is correct to say, “The yolk of the egg is white” or “The yolk of the egg are white?”

10. A farmer has five haystacks in one field and four haystacks in another. How many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in one field?

1-Jonny

2-meat

3-Killimanjaro

4-Infinite

5-Incorrectly

6-She live in Australia

7-No one there have wooden leg

8-2nd

9-Both are wrong its yellow

10-only one since all are combined

hope i made sense :)

1) hit at the same time

2)Can't answer, don't know how much faster than the flow you are rowing. If you were rowing in place, and I am assuming you dropped the hat at the beginning when you started rowing, you would be rowing 5mph+the 5mph of the current, so it would take you 1 hour to travel ten miles. Your hat is traveling 5 miles per hour, and when you turned around, had a head start of 5 miles, so by the time you reach the hat it would of been traveling for ten miles in two hours. So you would get the hat in an hour. This question needed more info.

I wrote you row at the same rate, both up stream and down stream

Edited by Alan McDougall

You are in a room with just 2 unmarked doors, one door leads to the hangman and death, the other leads to freedom and life.

There are 2 guards in the room with you, one can only lie the other can only tell the truth. You have no idea which is which.

You are allowed just one question to one of the guards, you chose which, by just by asking this one question, you must establish exactly which door is the one leading to freedom or you die

3) What is the correct question?.

labyrinth_puzzle.png

You are rowing up river against a flow of 5 miles per hour, after 1 hour of rowing you notice you have dropped your hat and immediately turn around and row at the same rate down river to retrieve it (Discard the time needed to actually turn your boat around)

2) How long will it take to catch up with your hat and retrieve it from the river?

1 hour. The speed of the boat relative to the hat does not depend on the current.

That is correct the flow of the river has nothing to do with it, you have rowed for one hour upstream then you turn around and row for one hour to get your hat .

I think his point is that when you said in post #20 that you had told him he was correct, you were wrong. he presented his answer here, and your response to that answer is here. You didn't tell him he was right, although you didn't tell him he was wrong either. Your quote was directed at Olinguito's post, which contained the same answer, not Lightmeow's.

1) hit at the same time

Question 1 correct the horizontal speed of the bullet has no effect on the pull of gravity, thus the bullet fired out of the gun and the one dropped at the same moment reach the ground at the exact some time.

Question 2 correct 1 hour is the right answer my apologies for not reading you post correctly!

I think his point is that when you said in post #20 that you had told him he was correct, you were wrong. he presented his answer here, and your response to that answer is here. You didn't tell him he was right, although you didn't tell him he was wrong either. Your quote was directed at Olinguito's post, which contained the same answer, not Lightmeow's.

You are right I will go back and correct my mistake, I should be more careful in future, sorry guys!

1 hour. The speed of the boat relative to the hat does not depend on the current.

1 hour Your answer above is correct the flow of the river does effect the time it takes to reach and fetch your hat, because the rate of your rowing was constant

Edited by Alan McDougall