Question about infinity and infinite possibilities.

Guest leet_azn_mas

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I just saw that and for some reason it was tremendously funny at the time.

Onward!

so you can`t rule it out either then?

Yes, because there's not really any way it's going to happen. We don't need to disprove that it can happen, because the only reason we might (reasonably or unreasonably) expect it to be manifest is that we are hypothesising infinite outcomes among infinite planets.

even a 1 : 1,000,000 chance can occur 1`st time.

Probability isn't a factor (well, not for Elephant-Jam world anyway - it'll still have an effect on the distribution of planetary manifestations, but only the ones that exist).

my reasoning to further support your original argument against it is that to be made EXCLUSIVELY of those two ingredients, would not be possible! and were it to exist it would not constitute a planet, a MESS yes, a planet No.

Yes, but that's factually wrong, so it's not really the best point you've made.

the only point that i`ll conceed with the "Planet" definition, is that if such a place were to occur, it would have to made artificialy.

perhaps a Dumping ground for a race that didn`t like jam or elephants so much that they created their own garavitational feild when shot off into space they formed a "Planet".

they`de have to be a perculier race though, as I like Jam and happen to think elephants are beautifull creatures.

joking aside though, it would have to be made artificialy, as the situation CANNOT occur naturaly (with our understanding of Jam and Elephants).

they would either be all dead as one huge homgenous mass of yuckiness, it couldn`t be considered a planet or it`s not jam and elephants from OUR definition.

I really can`t beleive we`re actualy discussing this! LOL :))))

I thought in quantum mechanics anything is possible.I just read in scientific american that say at the big crunch a gigantic reproduction of your left arm can just pop into existence,complete with rotation,gravity etc.Equally your planet composing of jam and elephants.

There is no restriction on possibility

Hmmm....

Good point if I understand you correctly.

you`re saying that Infinate matter would make everything "Solid" for wants of a better word, and thus the distance between a Nucleus and orbiting Electrons would not be there.

thus Matter has to be Finite (by default), but Space need not necesarily be.

NOW you`ve given me pause for Thought :)

I think I am going to have to retract my statement, since WMAP has only made a measurement of the mass density, not the total mass. In one sense it depends on how you define 'universe', but all matter is thought to have been created from energy at the Big bang. So unless the big bang was of infinite energy then there must be a finite amount of mass. I certainly can't prove this though....

you`re saying that Infinate matter would make everything "Solid" for wants of a better word' date=' and thus the distance between a Nucleus and orbiting Electrons would not be there.

[/quote']

I don't think that is true. There are infinitely many integers but the gaps between the integers are always 1.

Density

yeh i was just thinking that actually.

However tecnically it still would be correct unless it had infinate density seing as a percentage of infinity is always infinity,

Or is it?

With our formula we get X/infinity * 100= 0%.

Odear.

Would an infinite amount of matter not fill an infinite universe completely?

That's correct. It would not. :D

Actually you can divide infinites and get sensible answers. So assuming infinite universes like ours if you divided the infinite mass by the infinite volume you would get a sensible answer, which would be the same density as our universe.

That's correct. It would not. :D

Actually you can divide infinites and get sensible answers. So assuming infinite universes like ours if you divided the infinite mass by the infinite volume you would get a sensible answer' date=' which would be the same density as our universe.[/quote']I didn't know that was possible. What number do you use for infinity. :confused:

if I choose a whole number between 1 and infinity' date=' and ask you to guess what number it is, am I making it Twice as hard for you by saying it can be a Half number too, like 1.5 for instance?

I don`t think it would be :)[/quote']

The way I understand the math "twice" would be correct, even though it is infinitesimally small. (and somewhat meaningless on it's own). Combined with other "infinites" it could make sense. So a finite density can be calculated from infite space and infinite mass.

You have to be careful though with infinites. Adding all integers to infinite and multiplying by 2 will give you twice as much. Multiplying every integer by 2 and adding them to infinite will give you half as much, you are effectively skipping every second integer.

if I choose a whole number between 1 and infinity' date=' and ask you to guess what number it is, am I making it Twice as hard for you by saying it can be a Half number too, like 1.5 for instance?

I don`t think it would be :)[/quote']

Not exactly twice no, since there is one less halfway value than there are integral values.

lol :P

if I choose a whole number between 1 and infinity, and ask you to guess what number it is, am I making it Twice as hard for you by saying it can be a Half number too, like 1.5 for instance?
The way I understand the math "twice" would be correct,

Even more relevant than math is human nature. Infinity is a red herring, since he mentioned that he will select a number. If he were to choose a number between one and infinity, I think that we can recognize that for all practical purposes there is a finite limit to a number than he might select. Given that finite limit, there would indeed be twice as many numbers.

This thread is proposing the infinite-infinite universe where all conceivable possibilities exist within our infinite universe. This theory completely allows any contradiction within it's terms because that would be just another possibility (or combination) so a red planet exists and doesn't exist at the same time. Anyways the theory is COMPLETELY CONTRADICTORY and makes no attempt as to limit the contradictions. IF every conceivable idea, concept, matter, universe, planet etc. exists then there is no need for any explanations of anything since everything is just a given combination from the infinite amount of combinations. You need to explain something if there is only one possible path within a multitude, but in the infinite-infinite universe all the paths are simultaneously present including no paths and only a few (there goes the contradicton which is acceptable). This is somewhat an aesthetical view of the universe.