A meaningful life is worthwhile.

EdEarl

medicalexpress.com

A Stanford research project explored the key differences between lives of happiness and meaningfulness. While the two are similar, dramatic differences exist – and one should not underestimate the power of meaningfulness. "The quest for meaning is a key part of what makes us human," the researchers concluded.

While lives of meaningfulness and happiness overlap, they are distinctly different, according to Stanford research.

I think a meaningful life can lead to challenges and contentment, but not necessarily happiness.

I'd like to see the original paper instead of press reports but can't seem to find it.

A pre-print is available on Roy Baumeister's web page at Stamford. Try searching on

"some key differences between a happy life and a meaningful life" baumeister

if you take life apart then you are not living at all.

True, if you disassemble a living being, it will die. And, if you examine microscopic parts of a living being, the parts may be animated (or not), yet indistinguishable as living, just as water flowing in a stream is not living.

• 2 weeks later...

my is meaningless

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sure you can change it, and make your life meaningful. You only need to choose a meaningful thing to do, even if it is as simple as making someone smile each day. Start by smiling, even if it is a forced smile it will make you feel better.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sure you can change it, and make your life meaningful. You only need to choose a meaningful thing to do, even if it is as simple as making someone smile each day. Start by smiling, even if it is a forced smile it will make you feel better.

ok so lets try and then if it

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.