Wind Tunnel

calbiterol

I'm in the planning stage of building a wind tunnel, and I think I have it about down - except for one "minor" detail. How do I make the air that is passing through my wind tunnel visible, so that I can see how aerodynamic the things that I'm testing are? Does smoke work for this?

Sounds like a barrel-o-fun!

:-D

It prbably wouldn't be too large of an issue, because I'm doing this outsicde (I'd rather not have the whole house smell sike smoke or whatever I put in the wind tunnel).

And I've definitely done more dangerous things than fill a box type thing with very fine particles of flour dispersed in the air. But caution is always good.

not verry.. but for my band we use smoke efects that u can get at party city or reely ne where that would be good to use.. i also know that there are colored dyes you can use that evaporate for those smoke machiens

what are you testing in this wind tunnle?

It's not the dry ice that is smoking. It's that the CO2 sublimating off of it is so cold that it causes any water in the air to immediately condense, so the 'smoke' you see is just water. If you have super dry air, then you will see no "smoke".

Fake - I'm using the windtunnel to test propellers/impellers, aerodynamics in body design, and airfoil efficiency, among other things, in order to build a very efficient hovercraft.

[EDIT: It's NOT for a school project - it's something I work on in my "free time," which, seeing as today is a semi-regular school day and I just got home for the first time after 15 hours of being at school, is NOT MUCH.]

• 1 month later...

A water tunnel will work just like a wind tunnel if you want to test aerodynamics. If you wish to use a windtunnel, install a smoke system. In many pics you see about aerodynamics testing you see these really fine lines of smoke. No idea how they got that perfect smoke tho.