I.Q. Is Rubbish

Mike Fuller

I just think I.Q. is so snobbish, bigoted and subjective!!! It doesn't show the love and passion a person feels for his subject, it just gives a cold, distorted, false, superficial and subjective number to view someone's intelligence as an abstraction. It is so cold and superficial!!! it may be useful to indicate someone with a very low I.Q., to be able to see the areas they need help in, and the level of their mental handicap!!! Richard P. Feynman's ( 1914 - 1988 ) high school I.Q. was a barely respectable 125, which although being good is for argubley the lad who was going to become the greatest theoretical physicist scince Einstien ( 1879 - 1955 ) not great!!! Feynman would have hated the hype about I.Q. anyway!!!

Happy New Year!!!

All The Best!!!

Keep Truckin'

Cheers - Mike ( Fuller )

I agree. IQ tests aren't always accurate. The score can vary from day to day, depending on a large amount of factors.

Also, people's IQ's can change over time as a result of having better or worse cognitive abilities, and that makes IQ less accurate for the future.
IQ scores are simply an estimate of a person's intelligence.

but it's the only one we have.

No it isn't. Superficially, we have SAT/ACT/GRE and other standardized testing scores. We have the marks given in schools. We have trivia contests. All of these measure at least some aspect of intelligence.

Not as superficially, there are plenty of 'IQ-like' measures for other aspects of intelligence. There is an EI (a.k.a. EQ) metric for Emotional Intelligence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

There is also a metric called PASS, an acronym for Planning, Attention, Simultaneous and Successive processing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PASS_theory_of_intelligence

And so on. This is a somewhat deeply studied question. Just saying it is 'the only one we have' means you just haven't looked.

" I just think I.Q. is so snobbish, bigoted and subjective!!! It doesn't show the love and passion a person feels for his subject,"

That's not its job.

IQ was designed about a hundred years ago as a (fairly crude) means to find those who were slipping behind in their education so that they might get extra help.

It's calculated (in principle) by finding the ratio of chronological age to mental age. It's essentially undefined for adults.

Using it for anything other than it's original purpose is silly.