The psychology of an idiot

Does psychology define what we in common parlance term an idiot?

Is it a person with low IQ (intellectual) or a person with low EQ (emotional quotient) or may be a combination of the two?

Every "normal" individual is endowed with more or less the same number of neurons, (brain size is related to sex) so why do we end up having people who challenge the intellect, albeit in the wrong way?

Please elicit your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

I think you need to be more explicit with your question, the term idiot is a derogatory term which is commonly used to describe anyone who has a different viewpoint we don't agree with which we consider stupid, As well those less politically correct could use the term to describe someone who is mentally challenged, By definition the term "idiot savant" is an intellectually disabled person who exhibits extraordinary ability in a specific area, such as mathematics or music.

In my opinion, it's more of a perceptive thing. Anyone with an IQ above 70 still has standard intellectual potential, so if you dislike the person's point of view, which is partially attributed to factors and exposures in life, that's mostly you besides factual value. However that's more knowledge and not intellect.

Considering I.Q and E.Q are only relevant and dependent upon a societies culture. It comes to be that many could be low I.Q or E.Q. Einstein in his early childhood to mid-teens was considered a moron at the time. We see how that turned out!

Many highly intelligent people often have a hard time fitting in to a base culture. I know from personal experience!

Also consider academia is largely designed by the culture and societal norms that encompass it. So a highly intelligent person is often limited by the restraints of a culture or society. Not so much on his/her part. But on the society that is unable to comprehend in general.

Using the derogatory term idiot benefits whom?

Does psychology define what we in common parlance term an idiot?

Is it a person with low IQ (intellectual) or a person with low EQ (emotional quotient) or may be a combination of the two?

Every "normal" individual is endowed with more or less the same number of neurons, (brain size is related to sex) so why do we end up having people who challenge the intellect, albeit in the wrong way?

Please elicit your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

perhaps you are refering to religious people?

it must be frustrating to have so many answers and always be correct. yet to no avail do they accept your proof. consider that you may not be entering a logical arguement no matter how much it may seem that way. this is an area where personal feelings come into play.

swansont, on 02 Jan 2014 - 3:18 PM, said:swansont, on 02 Jan 2014 - 3:18 PM, said:

Oft-repeated, but wrong every time.

Where it comes from apparently is the grades were reversed and he actually got top grade but just prior to the time he got his it was the bottom indicator, so people not being aware of the change thought he was thick. He was actually two years advanced in his education.

Edited by StringJunky

If you are asking how stupid would be defined on IQ chart I think it would be this. It would be too high to be mentally retarded but lower than the average. In my eyes a stupid person is someone without any common sense. That has to do with maturity though. Maturity is tricky to determine since there is different areas in which you might be mature. You can be physically mature but not very intelligent or wise. An immature person gives into all and any peer pressure and do not ever think anything through, a mature person thinks of all possible results of their actions, and wont give into peer pressure as easily. This is why teens often get into so much trouble since they are not mature enough.