Coulomb Barrier of protons?

Colic

How exactly does the coulomb barrier for nuclear fusion change with different generations of particles such as muon and tauon catalyzation as well as hydrogen not having any electrons around the nucleus at all? I coudln't really find an organized collection of information like that anywhere. The coulomb barrier is much lower with individual protons themselves vs having muon catalyzed hydrogen atoms right? Or at least, it takes less energy for individual photons to fuse that muon catalyzed ones.

I guess I'm also not really thinking about how the increase in energy would increase the radius of the protons. Would it technically be easier for individual protons to tunnel into each other at lower temperatures than higher temperatures?

The Coulomb barrier is lower for massive replacements for the electron because they screen the proton charge closer to it. Thus the work done against the repulsion is over a shorter distance, making the barrier lower.

Yeah I know that, heavier electrons have a smaller radius from the uncertainty in their position being more limited by a higher mass just like with many other particles. But I'm saying like in the sun when you have plasma, and you simply have two protons come together, that's the best circumstance right?

And, in the sun, protons have a higher energy and so are a little bit bigger, so the coulomb barrier should be optimally lowered at lower energies because colder temperatures = slightly smaller protons right?

Edited by Colic

Protons don't change size with temperature.

Proton-proton fusion is exceedingly rare. It happens on the sun because the are so many of them. Being in a plasma probably doesn't help if the mean free path is larger than that of the Bohr radius, but you can't separate out the fact that the plasma is there because it's hot, and being hot improves the probability.

Protons don't change size with temperature.

Proton-proton fusion is exceedingly rare. It happens on the sun because the are so many of them. Being in a plasma probably doesn't help if the mean free path is larger than that of the Bohr radius, but you can't separate out the fact that the plasma is there because it's hot, and being hot improves the probability.

Well assuming the thermal energy is mediated via photons, how about then? Wouldn't photons change size?

Otherwise why would muonic atoms make fusion easier than bare protons?

As I said, shielding eliminates the repulsion until the protons get close which lowers the barrier.

I don't really see how this answers what I was saying. Let's try it a different way. I have a muonic atom, and a bare proton. Which is easier to fuse?

Edited by Colic

A neutral system should fuse more easily, because the repulsion is absent or at least reduced until the protons are closer together.

So to break down the "muon" or "proton" question, you're saying muon catalyzation is better because most of the proton's repulsive field is counteracted by the electron. In concept this makes sense, the muon is heavier and is closer to the proton and so lowers the net positive charge over the space within the atom. However, what about the added repulsion you'd have from a muon repelling another muon? Without changing the proton's radius, how is this any better?

Edited by Colic

The system looks neutral until you get close to the atom. With a muon, the atom is smaller, so you can get closer before it stops looking neutral. This applies to both the proton-proton repulsion and muon-muon (or electron-electron) repulsion. Or even electron-muon repulsion.