Question

carrie.carnahan

HI,

(Before I ask my question I just want to let you all know that I'm not a Scientist or a student of science. Not that I wouldn't love to be.)

If someone has a little extra time would you mind explaining quantum entanglement? I understand "Spooky action at a distance" hahaha... What I don't understand is how it was proven. What were the steps that were taken to come up with that conclusion? What is connecting the atoms? is there more to it then one changing the other?

Ok, here comes the crazy question lol...

Could the fact that we feel empathy have anything to do with quantum entanglement?

I have a sucky education... One year of community college! Feel free to use big words though, I will just look them up. If this is the wrong place to post this just let me know.

Thanks,

Carrie Carnahan

I was also taken back by quantum entanglement at first and it is still quite odd. But it has to do with the spin of particles, suggesting that multiple particles are linked. It was tested using mathematical data and not as observation apparently. Here's a good read: http://physics.about.com/od/quantumphysics/f/QuantumEntanglement.htm

Could the fact that we feel empathy have anything to do with quantum entanglement?

No, probably not. We feel empathy because we evolved as a social species in packs and tribes. Empathy allowed us to have greater cohesion with fellow group members and to be more successful in the acquisition of resources like food, shelter, protection, and even mates for reproduction.

Quantum entanglement is about determining the state of two particles in a system (with one possibly being very far away), and does not need to be invoked to explain how we're able to successfully understand what others may be feeling. It's a bit like asking if blackholes can explain why we get hungry.

More likely, to have empathy we just need to be able read and interpret facial expressions, understand language and nuance, and have a theory of mind. Theory of mind is really what it's about, IMO.

http://host.uniroma3.it/progetti/kant/field/tom.htm

Thanks so much for the explanation :)

Carrie

I just wanted to take a second to explain why I was thinking the two might be connected. I have twin girls, their empathy for each other is amazing. One feels the other!!! I ran across a youtube video about quantum entanglement and thought, well maybe that is why the girls have this connection.

Carrie

It might be possible that quantum entanglement is involved, but probably unlikely. We don't need to rely on a brane theory of the universe or string theory to explain the growth of trees or scent of flowers, either.

More likely is the fact that your girls have been near each other developmentally for the VAST majority of their lives (potentially ALL of it, depending on how old they are), including in utero. This means they are much more attuned to minor changes and mannerisms in breathing patterns and heart rate and eye dilation, etc.... stuff that is probably almost imperceptible to the rest of us.

Much like being around an animal like a dog or cat, you start to learn their little cues and mannerisms and behaviors... stuff that another person or stranger would completely miss... Your daughters just know each other better than anyone else knows them, so their connection seems amazing... Which it is! smile.png

Either way, entanglement is fascinating science, and I think Chad lays it out pretty clearly here: http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2012/03/14/entanglement-is-not-that-magic/

Quantum entanglement is a really cool phenomenon, one of the most magical-seeming effects in the theory. It’s got that great history, too– Einstein! Spukhafte fernwirkung! Non-locality!

It’s not magic, though. At least, it’s not that magic. It’s just a correlation between measurement results, not a knob that lets you manipulate the states of distant particles in a magical manner.

Although it's not a book, you might like Wikipedia's Introduction to quantum mechanics. This is an article intended for readers who haven't necessarily had the physics and mathematics education necessarily for a rigorous introduction to the subject. Section 8 specifically discusses quantum entanglement. I admit I haven't read it yet, but if it's anything like the similar introductions to special and general relativity (which I have read), then it's a pretty good read. There are a few formulas, but these articles are primarily conceptual in nature.

Edited by John

My own being one of them. HAHAHAHAwacko.png

Say a 34 year old house wife with very little education was interested in quantum physics, were would she start? Any books you could suggest?

Carrie

How to Teach Physics to Your Dog by Chad Orzel. You are pretty much the target audience for that book.