If everything wants to be the same "Entropy", then why is it all different?

Peoplethinkweird

Entropy is the idea that everything goes towards chaos and if everything goes towards chaos then wouldn't everything be the same. If we look at a room, if you don't clean you room for a while, hence put in energy to clean it, your room will keep getting messier. The messier it gets the more consistent it becomes, more and more of it will begin to look the same. (By same I mean in a context of garbage being there on the left side and right side of the room even though its not the same garbage, its garbage.) So my question is in the universe why are there so many separations an example being the existence of a vacuum where there is hardly anything to planets which are just a collection of everything else.

Sorry for the bad wording I just don't know how else to word it in terms of what I know.

Entropy is much misunderstood.

Consequently a great deal of rubbish is spouted in its name.

A particularly common error, not only in this area but many others, its to ignore the conditions of applicability and then complain that it is 'wrong'.

You have expressed a common doubt, however so well done for thinking about it.

Entropy increase or stasis applies to a finite system as a whole.

Further, since entropy change deals with change, it does not tell you anything about how a system is, only where it is going.

Saying that 'the (necessarily infinite) entropy, mass, energy or anything else of a an infinite system increases' makes no sense.

You can easily have local variations within a system where entropy rises or falls or remains the same.

So your first question needs to be

Is the universe finite or infinite?

I think what you're trying to ask is "if all energy systems in the universe prefer a state of entropy, why are there well formed planets, macromolecules, etc." Well assuming you already know the principles of Gibbs Free Energy, I'd like to believe the reason organization exists in the universe is due to three reasons. One, some products (i.e. molecules, etc) are merely thermodynamically favored leading to their creation, such as formation of water from combustion of hydrogen and oxygen. Two, an extremely high level of entropy is bound to create an equilibrium between itself and organization, similar to an equilibrium in a reaction between reactants and products. Three...HYDROGEN. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, and with it's high reactivity, many different reactions and products can be formed.

~EE

Studiot has said well a concise statement about entropy, but to address your question directly, I will. Entropy won't help you answer why planets and stars are seperate in their respective systems, at least not by itself. What would answer your question is the Nebular hypothesis or The Solar Nebula Model. These are theories that explain the formation of the solar system.