Why would aliens invade?

Moontanman

What would be the differential quantity between the biological and the mechanical in this scenario? Or is that the point?

These are machines that reproduce and the reproductive mechanism isn't perfect so over time they can change so in that respect they are like biological organisms but the machines are not organic but made of materials like metals plastics ceramics and such and their original goal was to colonize planets for their creators but over time their reproductive process became corrupted and they began to change due to these errors creeping in much like organic organisms although they would be controlled by computer code instead of DNA. Eventually the supliferous parts of their selves were shed and they began to reproduce for themselves instead of for their creators. Organic life can be thought of as machines in a real way so they just mimic organic beings...

Well in my story the original machines setup and infrastructure and then grow the biological organisms that designed them and set them up in the cities they built. eventually the ones that just design and build themselves stop growing the biological organisms and become independant machine organisms...

A nice similarity to symbiotic relations between some plants and animals. The animal dispersing the seed and in turn receiving shelter or subsistence. Eventually, evolution may allow the plant to eat the fly that once pollinated it. happy.png

In my story the machines have reproductive parts and parts that gather resources and parts the build infrasture for the organic being they grow to occupy the infrastructure. The first thing one of the large machines does when it gets to a rocky planet is terraform it if possible, if not it goes on, but if it's going to stay it makes smaller machines that make a copy of it's self to go on to the next star, then it makes the machines that harvest resources and make infrastructure then machines that grow the organic being to occupy the infrastructure but the are originally programmed to ignore already inhabited planets but mistakes occur in the coding and they eventually start using resources from already inhabited worlds because the resources are already mined and concentrated from there they go on to stop make the organic beings to just making copies of themselves and become a menace... preying on even their own creators planets that are made by the original machines..

Kinda like ants but on a far larger scale...

I am toying with the idea of them using the organic being they originally served as slaves in some way but I'm not that far yet...

I am toying with the idea of them using the organic being they originally served as slaves in some way but I'm not that far yet...

Could lead to some interesting bio-engineered variation and adaptation . . . . . .of course with the eventual and almost obligatory insurgency and all out war to retake the position of supremacy.

Could lead to some interesting bio-engineered variation and adaptation . . . . . .of course with the eventual and almost obligatory insurgency and all out war to retake the position of supremacy.

The machines are not really sentient, they are more like ants, I envision several different types of machines derived from the original template, some predatory some parasitic, more less a machine ecology occupying most of the galaxy...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going with a star hopping self determinate technology that out lived and possibly killed off its creators. Along the lines of the Borg meets Skynet, having a single centralized brain or command that can quickly glean out any usable technology, knowledge and resources from the host civilization/planet while efficiently rendering it all to self perpetuating purposes. This takes care of the need to live long enough for interstellar travel, it could be as old as some stars and as large as a planet. It can slowly move through the galaxy while systematically plundering planets with cold clinical logic.

Wait, wasn't that the first Star Trek movie? smile.png

The first Star Trek movie was about the weird whale like spaceship/alien. The borg was the 8th, first contact.

Perhaps aliens will come here for reasons similar to why missionaries came to the Americas, to spread their religious views. There is no reason to presume that invaders from outer space would be atheists. Or perhaps they will come like an invading army of Muslims, on a jihad to convert all the planets in the galaxy supporting sentient life.

I agree with moontanman, that would be very scary. And if it was that, there would be nothing to do about it.

arc, on 13 Dec 2013 - 9:33 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm going with a star hopping self determinate technology that out lived and possibly killed off its creators. Along the lines of the Borg meets Skynet, having a single centralized brain or command that can quickly glean out any usable technology, knowledge and resources from the host civilization/planet while efficiently rendering it all to self perpetuating purposes. This takes care of the need to live long enough for interstellar travel, it could be as old as some stars and as large as a planet. It can slowly move through the galaxy while systematically plundering planets with cold clinical logic.

Wait, wasn't that the first Star Trek movie? smile.png

The first Star Trek movie was about the weird whale like spaceship/alien. The borg was the 8th, first contact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a 1979 American science fiction film released by Paramount Pictures. It is the first film based on Star Trek, and a sequel to the Star Trek television series. The film is set in the twenty-third century, when a mysterious and immensely powerful alien cloud called V'Ger approaches Earth, destroying everything in its path. Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) assumes command of his previous starship—the recently refitted USS Enterprise—to lead it on a mission to save the planet and determine V'Ger's origins.

Enterprise intercepts the energy cloud and is attacked by an alien vessel within. A probe appears on the bridge, attacks Spock and abducts the navigator, Ilia. She is replaced by a robotic doppelgänger, a probe sent by "V'Ger" to study the crew. Decker is distraught over the loss of Ilia, with whom he had a romantic history. He becomes troubled as he attempts to extract information from the doppelgänger, which has Ilia's memories and feelings buried within. Spock takes a spacewalk to the alien vessel's surface and attempts a telepathic mind meld with it. In doing so, he learns that the vessel is V'Ger itself, a living machine.

At the heart of the massive ship, V'Ger is revealed to be Voyager 6, a 20th-century Earth space probe believed lost. The damaged probe was found by an alien race of living machines that interpreted its programming as instructions to learn all that can be learned, and return that information to its creator. The machines upgraded the probe to fulfill its mission, and on its journey the probe gathered so much knowledge that it achieved consciousness. Spock realizes that V'Ger lacks the ability to give itself a focus other than its original mission; having learned what it could on its journey home, it finds its existence empty and without purpose. Before transmitting all its information, V'Ger insists that the Creator come in person to finish the sequence. Realizing that the machine wants to merge with its creator, Decker offers himself to V'Ger; he merges with the Ilia probe and V'Ger, creating a new form of life that disappears into another dimension. With Earth saved, Kirk directs Enterprise out to space for future missions.

Whale?

arc, on 13 Dec 2013 - 9:33 PM, said:snapback.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a 1979 American science fiction film released by Paramount Pictures. It is the first film based on Star Trek, and a sequel to the Star Trek television series. The film is set in the twenty-third century, when a mysterious and immensely powerful alien cloud called V'Ger approaches Earth, destroying everything in its path. Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) assumes command of his previous starship—the recently refitted USS Enterprise—to lead it on a mission to save the planet and determine V'Ger's origins.

Enterprise intercepts the energy cloud and is attacked by an alien vessel within. A probe appears on the bridge, attacks Spock and abducts the navigator, Ilia. She is replaced by a robotic doppelgänger, a probe sent by "V'Ger" to study the crew. Decker is distraught over the loss of Ilia, with whom he had a romantic history. He becomes troubled as he attempts to extract information from the doppelgänger, which has Ilia's memories and feelings buried within. Spock takes a spacewalk to the alien vessel's surface and attempts a telepathic mind meld with it. In doing so, he learns that the vessel is V'Ger itself, a living machine.

At the heart of the massive ship, V'Ger is revealed to be Voyager 6, a 20th-century Earth space probe believed lost. The damaged probe was found by an alien race of living machines that interpreted its programming as instructions to learn all that can be learned, and return that information to its creator. The machines upgraded the probe to fulfill its mission, and on its journey the probe gathered so much knowledge that it achieved consciousness. Spock realizes that V'Ger lacks the ability to give itself a focus other than its original mission; having learned what it could on its journey home, it finds its existence empty and without purpose. Before transmitting all its information, V'Ger insists that the Creator come in person to finish the sequence. Realizing that the machine wants to merge with its creator, Decker offers himself to V'Ger; he merges with the Ilia probe and V'Ger, creating a new form of life that disappears into another dimension. With Earth saved, Kirk directs Enterprise out to space for future missions.

Whale?

I'm talking about the original star trek movies. I guess that is right. For some reason, I thought that was the new one they made in 2011. Lets not continue this, you can make a new thread if you want. I guess my dad must of gotten them out of order. I know there was one were they went back in time to get some whales and then the whales communicated with the "thing", and it went home.

I'm talking about the original star trek movies. I guess that is right. For some reason, I thought that was the new one they made in 2011. Lets not continue this, you can make a new thread if you want. I guess my dad must of gotten them out of order. I know there was one were they went back in time to get some whales and then the whales communicated with the "thing", and it went home.

No problem, some of us go way back the middle of the last century, a few even to its first half. Just think, that movie came out only 10 years after man first walked on the moon. blink.png