Humans: 10 dimensional beings?

Just

The universe we live in determines how many dimensions we exist in.

If we live in a ten dimensional universe, we must be 10 dimensional beings. However, the length we would extend into the higher dimensions would be minimal. For example, a 2 dimensional creature residing in a 3 dimensional universe would have a length, width, and if you looked closely a small height. It would be similar to a piece of paper. The length and width of the paper are easily measurable, while the height would be extremely small and not easily measurable. If the paper had only a length, width, and no height, it would not exist in a 3 dimensional universe.

Therefore, if we live in a universe with 10 spatial dimensions, we must be 10 dimensional beings.

This has holes in it. String Theory says that we might be on a D-Brane, a place in space that is limited to 3 +1 dimensional universe. There for, we would be a four dimensional universe. It's going to be hell for scientists to try to prove String Theory, or M-Theory(11 dimensions instead of one). I am a strong believer in it though. Some of the things I don't understand though, like all of the other dimensions(I get up to dimension 6, then it goes over my head)

You should read up more. A two dimensional creature would not have height, if it did, it would be a three dimensional creature. I think the two, one, and zero dimensions are very abstract concepts though. I can't think about something with no height.

The universe we live in determines how many dimensions we exist on.

If we live in a ten dimensional universe, we must be 10 dimensional beings. However, the length we would extend into the higher dimensions would be minimal. For example, a 2 dimensional creature residing in a 3 dimensional universe would have a length, width, and if you looked closely a small height. It would be similar to a piece of paper. The length and width of the paper are easily measurable, while the height would be extremely small and not easily measurable. If the paper had only a length, width, and no height, it would not exist in a 3 dimensional universe.

If you have not already read it, you should check out the book "Flatland: a romance in many dimensions" by Edwin Abbot. (1884)

The author of this work also considers as you have what it would be like to live as a two dimensional creature, but in his scenario in a two dimensional universe.

Theories come and go, but they all seem to like big numbers, thus:

In the 16th Century - the Universe revolves around the Earth in 38 or 47 Epicycles.

In the 21st Century - the Universe has 10 or 11 Dimensions

Isn't it "plus ca change" - always the lure of imaginary big numbers in the theories! What's wrong with a straightforward 3-D Universe.

As Just points out in post #1, if the Universe were 10-D, then humans, as components of the Universe, would also have 10 dimensions. Yet do we ever experience any more dimensions than 3. No - so doesn't that mean only 3 dimensions actually exist .

And 10-D is just an imaginary idea, like the square-root of minus 1?

Edited by Dekan